Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pros & Cons of moving to Canada

Pros & Cons of moving to Canada

Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:45 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Pros & Cons of moving to Canada

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Canadian housing is OK if you’re competent at DIY and can fix it up to what you want..
If the previous owners were cack-handed botchers, you're in real trouble.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

MissingCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Interested
My pros and cons, I live in Toronto.

Pros:

Laid Back lifestyle
Great coffee shops
Fantastic summer/fall weather
Beautiful countryside (Although the U.K is stunning in parts also)
Progessive society that can live together whatever race or creed someone may belong to
Cheap, relaible accessible public transit (A million times better than London!)
Cheaper clothes
Cheaper gas (Petrol)

Cons:
Cooooold winter ( It can be fun though with the snow, ice skating and skiing)
Digging the car out of the snow
Snow shovelling the Driveway
Lack of holiday (Usually only two weeks a year)
Tax (Seems high to me in Ontario)

I'm sure there are more. In the end it really depends what kind of lifestyle that you're seeking.

Int
Cold winters are so not a con!! I've been in the UK for 18 months and I miss *real* winters so much! Rain is depressing after 2 weeks of it. and its always smoggy, even in the country side! I miss skies that are actually blue.... not funny bluey grey.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Lostris is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mind if i ask why you left the country then MissingCanada?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:29 am
squarepants

wow....I'll take it you have the former at the moment then, but doesn't that mean you end up spending a lot of money renovating it over the years? You can see why the houses just get swept along completely whenever there is a natural disaster like flooding or tornadoes.

We saw that in Peterborough Ontario recently, a lot of people lost everything, and there was a lot damage to others basement.

Originally Posted by iaink
Give me a cheap crappy quality home in canada that I can afford over an fantastic quality terraced house I cant afford in the Uk anyday.

PS If your roof lasts only 7 years you need to sue someone. 20 years is a reasonable lifetime. I have never heard of any serious insect damage in Ontario, just the odd bit of rot, that is easy enough to replace.

Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissingCanada
Cold winters are so not a con!! I've been in the UK for 18 months and I miss *real* winters so much! Rain is depressing after 2 weeks of it. and its always smoggy, even in the country side! I miss skies that are actually blue.... not funny bluey grey.

Similar wet weather in Seattle where people have therapy for depression due to the weather.

Is this available from the N.H.S. in the U.K.?

Maybe it should be considered to cheer everyone up!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
wow....I'll take it you have the former at the moment then, but doesn't that mean you end up spending a lot of money renovating it over the years? You can see why the houses just get swept along completely whenever there is a natural disaster like flooding or tornadoes.

We saw that in Peterborough Ontario recently, a lot of people lost everything, and there was a lot damage to others basement.
It''s not a bad thing for homes to have a limited lifespan. Who wants to live in a 400 year old place with 5' doorways, 6' ceilings, walk-in fireplaces, stone floors, add-on plumbing and a roof made of grass? Sure they're quaint but so are those at Disneyland.

Canadian homes are appropriate for the environment and much better value for money. Denigrating them is just another example of Brit putdown.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:55 pm
Ay-Im from Blackburn me

royyboy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lostris
Do you mind if i ask why you left the country then MissingCanada?
eheheh-easy one to answer.....
MissingCanada (Wifey) is waiting for me to get my application for pr approved, then we're off. Would be too hard on us both to be apart again, having already been apart once for a year..simple case of the heart ruling the head, my temp visa expired so we came back here to get a pr, now we are just waiting to go back...

Last edited by royyboy; Aug 20th 2004 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants

Eh? I think if the city storm drains back up through the city sewer system, it doesnt matter how good the construction of your house is, there are going to be big insurance claims. nothing was swept away in that flood. Of course if you are in the country on a septic system thats not going to be an issue

I seem to remember a fair amount of damage when that minor huricane hit the S of England a few years ago, so why over design and overpay to protect from something that is virtually never going to happen, and is covered by insurance most of the time. Now if you live in hurricane alley then maybe its a different situation, but probably not. Even windsor castle would probably be damaged if hurricane charley came to visit.

My house is average, but then it is cheap enough that if I need to make upgrades or fix things, I can afford to, If I have to replace the shingles every 20 years, it is still cheaper than paying hundreds of thousands extra for an equivalent place in the UK. To be honest the only major thing I have had to do so far is replace the heating which was over 30 years old, but that was for efficiency reasons that will eventually pay for themselves. Are you seriously saying that if you own a "UK style" house you never have to fix anything!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 2:04 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by MikeUK
same goes for the plumbing same size pipe through out and no allowance for water pressure variation.. never shower whist anything else is running.
thats funny - sounds like our shower in the UK!

Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Especially in Victoria - don't flush the toilet while your husband is in the shower!!!!!

Originally Posted by Velouria
thats funny - sounds like our shower in the UK!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 6:24 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

And have you seen the damage to the lovely old stone properties in Boscastle that have stood for hundreds of years? One freak storm and they've gone - £50m estimate to rebuild and we hear that many properties were uninsured (and certainly will be uninsurable now knowing insurance companies)

Originally Posted by iaink
I seem to remember a fair amount of damage when that minor huricane hit the S of England a few years ago, so why over design and overpay to protect from something that is virtually never going to happen, and is covered by insurance most of the time. Now if you live in hurricane alley then maybe its a different situation, but probably not. Even windsor castle would probably be damaged if hurricane charley came to visit.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

thornhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spongebob
They probably do, although the reason why I said that was because of a man called Robert Pickton who is currently on trial in Bc for murdering 15 woman from downtown Vancouver, and feeding them to his pigs. There are other missing woman who still may be attributed to him. They are saying that he may be the worst serial killer in canada`s history.

He owned a pig farm in port coquitlam.

Bit of trivia for you.
We live in Port Coquitlam and it is a lovely place I can walk a couple of blocks look North and the next town is Lillowet.Jokes and satire about the pickton farm are sick.By the way it does not exist now,going to be a sub-division,should have been made a public education/memorial park.
Old Aug 21st 2004, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

thornhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lostris
Unfortunately, Copperpot, we are in the same situation here. 3 bed semi "worth" £200,000 in the opinion of estate agents.

However, if we moved to BC we would rent out our property in Kent, UK just in case we ever wanted to move back or simply just as an investment, pension fund for old age!

Guys, as i have stated in several posts/thread on this forum. I lived in Kamloops when my parents emigrated to Canada as a child. I have very fond memories of BC. Unfortunately my parents moved back to the UK after 3 years.

This may be one of the reasons why i am so set on BC as my new haven

But of course my husband and I fully intend to go over to BC, Alberta AND Ontario to look around as things have no doubt changed much over the years. And i'm talking about 20 years !
You will find that they have, but I think that you are still doing the right thing ,keping assets in the U.K. untill you are sure
but,to get a fair idea of the true cost find out what your potential earnings would be and therefore budget acordingly (the money brought from the U.K,if any would buy the extras ).
Friends of ours came out from several times "it's so cheap" was the cry,and it is when you convert U.K./Cdn.but that does not give a fair reading of lifes actual costs,any thoughts??
Old Aug 21st 2004, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thornhill
We live in Port Coquitlam and it is a lovely place I can walk a couple of blocks look North and the next town is Lillowet.Jokes and satire about the pickton farm are sick.By the way it does not exist now,going to be a sub-division,should have been made a public education/memorial park.
Hi Thornhill - gee we didn't hear a word in Victoria about it be turned into a sub-division - I hope that the families of the victims protest about it!!!! it certainly should be a memorial park - those poor women!!!
Old Aug 21st 2004, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by thornhill

I would certainly like to know what went on there before I decided to to purchase a house in that sub division. Sorry you where offended by my piece of trivia.