Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Vancouver, British Columbia

Living in Vancouver, British Columbia

Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

G Panusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Vancouver, British Columbia

I've read in here about horror stories of drugs, needles, crime etc. I was born and raised in Vancouver, and I practise law here. Like any big city, there are drugs and crime here. However, the vast majority of Vancouver and surrounding areas are completely safe, a fact supported by crime statistics. The media likes to blow things out of proportion, but from experience living downtown Vancouver and elsewhere in the city, there is no comparison to even mid-sized American cities that see much more crime and violence (the U.S. murder rate is way over 4 times that of Canada on a per capita basis). One small section of downtown Vancouver is responsible for most drug and criminal offences (downtown eastside), but Yaletown, Coal Harbour and the West End are populated by young professionals and families who frequent the many seaside parks day and night. In my view, there are few (if any) safer cities than Vancouver and the surrounding areas. It's the reason why Vancouver has often been ranked as the #1 or #2 city to live in the world. If you are considering a move to Canada, please do not let talk of drugs or crime dissuade you -- they are virtual non-issues in my experience here. Even housing is inexpensive compared to other major port cities in the world -- houses within 10 or 15 minutes of downtown can be found for under CDN $400,000, a little further out they can be found for under CDN $250,000 -- unheard of in port cities in America or Europe. Townhomes and condos are even cheaper. Gas is nearly a third of the price in Europe, and taxes can be decreased tremendously through proper tax planning and a home-based business. Even with the griping around health care, I've known many people (including close family) who needed emergency heart or other surgery who were admitted immediately with no delays. I lived in England for 2 years at Cambridge and though I loved the experience, the standard of living is much superior in Canada. You can even watch TV here without a license! Everything I've said goes double for Vancouver Island, which is as tranquil and peaceful as any place you'll find, especially the villages such as Parksville along the ocean.

Yes, I'm an immigration lawyer, but I choose to practice in this area because I love to help people immigrate here (as my family did) and enjoy everything that is wonderful about Canada.

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lostris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Vancouver, British Columbia

Thank you for that post Gianpaolo. It certainly helps to get people's views on Vancouver and other parts of BC.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

Do you need help from a Law Grad wanting to become a registered lawyer in BC?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

With all due respect from one professional to another....I certainly believe that you are entitled to your opinion on Vancouver and Vancouver Island, but please your're an immigration lawyer - your make your livelihood helping immigrants move to Canada.......so how objective can you be???

When was the last time you were in Victoria and/or Naniamo? or on Vancouver Island at all. I don't believe that any of the posts were uncharacteristic of the problems plaguing the area. Victoria for example is having tremendous "growing pains" with the number of people moving here and the problems downtown and in other areas of town. Don't believe me? just read a Victoria newspaper - we actually have a "red district" downtown which is classified as not a particular safe area.

After saying that - I will say that you are correct that Victoria and Vancouver Island is pure paradise - when you live here you just pick and choose what areas you prefer to visit, exactly the same as living in Vancouver. And yes, both Vancouver and Victoria have been voted the "safest" cities to live in.....but hardly fair to judge them against any american cities that have incredibly major problems that are only getting worse. You need to compare apples to apples (Canadian cities to Canadian cities).

But to make a statement that the drug problem in Victoria is very small or almost non-existent - is very misleading - no one is trying to dissaude people from moving to BC - but I think that the "people in the trenches" have a far more objective view of the problem.

BC is the only province that I would ever want to raise my kids believe me, but let's not view it with coloured glasses!!!

Originally Posted by G Panusa
I've read in here about horror stories of drugs, needles, crime etc. I was born and raised in Vancouver, and I practise law here. Like any big city, there are drugs and crime here. However, the vast majority of Vancouver and surrounding areas are completely safe, a fact supported by crime statistics. The media likes to blow things out of proportion, but from experience living downtown Vancouver and elsewhere in the city, there is no comparison to even mid-sized American cities that see much more crime and violence (the U.S. murder rate is way over 4 times that of Canada on a per capita basis). One small section of downtown Vancouver is responsible for most drug and criminal offences (downtown eastside), but Yaletown, Coal Harbour and the West End are populated by young professionals and families who frequent the many seaside parks day and night. In my view, there are few (if any) safer cities than Vancouver and the surrounding areas. It's the reason why Vancouver has often been ranked as the #1 or #2 city to live in the world. If you are considering a move to Canada, please do not let talk of drugs or crime dissuade you -- they are virtual non-issues in my experience here. Even housing is inexpensive compared to other major port cities in the world -- houses within 10 or 15 minutes of downtown can be found for under CDN $400,000, a little further out they can be found for under CDN $250,000 -- unheard of in port cities in America or Europe. Townhomes and condos are even cheaper. Gas is nearly a third of the price in Europe, and taxes can be decreased tremendously through proper tax planning and a home-based business. Even with the griping around health care, I've known many people (including close family) who needed emergency heart or other surgery who were admitted immediately with no delays. I lived in England for 2 years at Cambridge and though I loved the experience, the standard of living is much superior in Canada. You can even watch TV here without a license! Everything I've said goes double for Vancouver Island, which is as tranquil and peaceful as any place you'll find, especially the villages such as Parksville along the ocean.

Yes, I'm an immigration lawyer, but I choose to practice in this area because I love to help people immigrate here (as my family did) and enjoy everything that is wonderful about Canada.

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:24 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
When was the last time you were in Victoria and/or Naniamo? or on Vancouver Island at all. I don't believe that any of the posts were uncharacteristic of the problems plaguing the area. Victoria for example is having tremendous "growing pains" with the number of people moving here and the problems downtown and in other areas of town. Don't believe me? just read a Victoria newspaper - we actually have a "red district" downtown which is classified as not a particular safe area.

After saying that - I will say that you are correct that Victoria and Vancouver Island is pure paradise - when you live here you just pick and choose what areas you prefer to visit, exactly the same as living in Vancouver. And yes, both Vancouver and Victoria have been voted the "safest" cities to live in.....but hardly fair to judge them against any american cities that have incredibly major problems that are only getting worse. You need to compare apples to apples (Canadian cities to Canadian cities).

But to make a statement that the drug problem in Victoria is very small or almost non-existent - is very misleading - no one is trying to dissaude people from moving to BC - but I think that the "people in the trenches" have a far more objective view of the problem.

BC is the only province that I would ever want to raise my kids believe me, but let's not view it with coloured glasses!!!
Why can't others compare US cities with Canadian cities? Certainly potential immigrantes to either country are.

Why are the "people in the trenches" more objective regarding the drug problem in Victoria? I could agrue that they are actually more subjective, because the are personally involved with the problem on a daily basis and have lost perspect. They tend to exaggerate the magnitude of the problem because they are swapped by it whilst the average citizen certainly is not.

By the way, I was in both Victoria and Naniamo about 5 weeks ago for several weeks.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 18th 2004 at 9:27 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're really in an argumentative mood today aren't you? - having a "bad Canadian day".

Of course people wishing to move to either the States or Canada are comparing the two - they would be nuts if they didn't - but most US major cities are having incredible problems with drugs, crimes, unrest, racism, etc, etc - something that Canadian cities have some of.....but certainly not to the same extent......hence when he was comparing cities of where to live in Canada - it's hardly fair to equate them to the States.

Bad choice of words ....or a cultural difference I guess - people in the trenches I referred to as "the average citizen' my fault - I apolgize....- although I think that the people in the trenches like "dingbat" comments are to be valued as well.

So....did you enjoy your trip to Vancouver Island....makes you want to move here doesn't it ....instead of going back to Mexico - come on admit it......we know the truth!!!!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:01 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
You're really in an argumentative mood today aren't you? - having a "bad Canadian day".
Gee, you didn't say that when I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with Rete.

So....did you enjoy your trip to Vancouver Island....makes you want to move here doesn't it ....instead of going back to Mexico - come on admit it......we know the truth!!!!
I loved Vancouver Island and BC in general. We sure have had a great summer. In case you didn't know, I'm as Canadian as maple syrup. My family goes back something like 150 years in Waterloo County. I've lived in Ontario, Newfoundland, Alberta and now BC, and I travelled across Canada numerous times, but you can't beat the beauty of BC.

I live in a beautiful part of Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) about half the year where I own a home. You can't beat the winter and spring weather in Cabo. Ever been there?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was actually referring to the heated argument you were having with our favourite "stats prof" (oh, sorry - I have to stop teasing him - I think he's getting annoyed!!!!) and myself.

Well, I'm from Waterloo County as well - spent many growing up years there and had a great time - so you must remember the wonderful German flavour and Octoberfest with the great beer, dancing, music and of course the food!!!! and of course the maple syrup. We had a couple of trees in our yard and for a couple of years got our own maple syrup - wonderful on pancakes - nothing like the junk you buy in stores.

I agree that BC is truly paradise - My comments just reflect that paradise comes hand in hand with problems - no place is absolutely pefect and everyone considering moving here must look at both good and bad

I've been to different parts of Mexico and had a wonderful time- but unfortunately I'm not a "hot weather" girl - my skin is very fair and doesn't get along well with the hot weather and sun!!!! so wouldn't be my first choice for a vacation place.

I live in a beautiful part of Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) about half the year where I own a home. You can't beat the winter and spring weather in Cabo. Ever been there?[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

stewyvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that Vancouver is probably one of the best places to live in the world. I have now been here for over 5 years, and do not regret one minute of it. It is true that most people are unlikley to be impacted by major crime in the city. However we should also not view everything through rose coloured glasses, crime does exist. The lower mainland has one of the highest car crime rates in North America, and although the drug issues are visbily isolated to a small portion of the downtown eastside (in general) the impact is felt across the area, as many residential burglaries are committed outside this area by those with drug problems. That said, I have never felt threatened here, the quality of life is much better than anything you will get in the UK (IMO), and I would encourage anyone who is even vaguely thinking about Canada to consider Vancouver as a great place to live..

cheers
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

BC is very beautiful indeed, Kelowna, Abbotsford, Chilliwack.

I live in the Newton area of Surrey that the RCMP says Carnaping is occurs almost every hour. Go to the Whalley central bus station and you will see mini East Hastings type people. Try to ride a BCtransit bus and you will see few passengers who are either drunk, high or crazy.

One afternoon my family and I took the skytrain from Vancouver to King George station. There were 2 kids inside high on drugs who opened a small bag of white powder and sniffed in front of my kids and other passengers. The next morning I took the bus and there was an old guy who apparently did not have a twonie for the fare who stood up asking passengers to pay for him otherwise the bus wont go and everybody will be late for work. One afternoon I was on a bus to White Rock and there were 4 mid aged guys who stopped the bus, they got in and said to the driver their ticket wont get in the booth because they are crumpled, he checked all tickets were a couple of days old. All of these craps are normal life in BC and you will get used to it.

Having said my above comments, I would say Vancouver and the lower mainland is not the safest place in Canada but it is still safe compared to most of the major cities in the US and still much safer compared to the bigger and more polulated cities in Asia.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:35 am
Just Joined

G Panusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything said here has some validity. I was just trying to put things in perspective, as other posts made it seem as though there were drug needles on every corner. The reality from StatsCan -- the following crime rates for Vancouver (per 100,000 population) in 2003:

2.1 murders
153 robberies
1350 break-ins
1261 vehicle thefts

Anyway you look at it, these are small numbers indeed. I think that we, as Canadians, are intolerant of crime so we view even small numbers as unacceptable. That's a good thing. Places such as Winnipeg, Saskatoon Abbotsford, and Regina had worse crime rates.

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca

Originally Posted by Redwings
BC is very beautiful indeed, Kelowna, Abbotsford, Chilliwack.

I live in the Newton area of Surrey that the RCMP says Carnaping is occurs almost every hour. Go to the Whalley central bus station and you will see mini East Hastings type people. Try to ride a BCtransit bus and you will see few passengers who are either drunk, high or crazy.

One afternoon my family and I took the skytrain from Vancouver to King George station. There were 2 kids inside high on drugs who opened a small bag of white powder and sniffed in front of my kids and other passengers. The next morning I took the bus and there was an old guy who apparently did not have a twonie for the fare who stood up asking passengers to pay for him otherwise the bus wont go and everybody will be late for work. One afternoon I was on a bus to White Rock and there were 4 mid aged guys who stopped the bus, they got in and said to the driver their ticket wont get in the booth because they are crumpled, he checked all tickets were a couple of days old. All of these craps are normal life in BC and you will get used to it.

Having said my above comments, I would say Vancouver and the lower mainland is not the safest place in Canada but it is still safe compared to most of the major cities in the US and still much safer compared to the bigger and more polulated cities in Asia.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:47 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Everything said here has some validity. I was just trying to put things in perspective, as other posts made it seem as though there were drug needles on every corner. The reality from StatsCan -- the following crime rates for Vancouver (per 100,000 population) in 2003:

2.1 murders
153 robberies
1350 break-ins
1261 vehicle thefts

Anyway you look at it, these are small numbers indeed. I think that we, as Canadians, are intolerant of crime so we view even small numbers as unacceptable. That's a good thing. Places such as Winnipeg, Saskatoon Abbotsford, and Regina had worse crime rates.

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca
Nothing like a free plug for business is there?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:08 am
Just Joined

stewyvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure where the stats can numbers come from, a link would be good, but the following comes from the Vancouver police dept site ytd may 2004

Theft Motor Vehicle - 2552
residential B&E - 2230
robberies - 674
homicides - 13

this is for five months, so either things are really getting bad ( which I do not think they are) or statscan or the vpd have some dodgy numbers
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/poli...ayDistrict.pdf
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:11 am
mañana is my busiest day

2.1 murders
153 robberies
1350 break-ins
1261 vehicle thefts

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca
That's a lot of break ins and vehicle thefts. Canadians are too tolerant of criminals. I say give them a good caning - like in Singapore - and see if they want to keep stealing cars.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just trying to say it from my own personal experience because I am still trying to compare the 4 cities that I lived since I settled here in Canada.

FOR EXAMPLE THE CANADA DAY:
-In Windsor On, we just sat back at home quiet and watch TV because not much to see at Downtown Oullette.
-In Toronto, people gather to see big and spectacular parades along Younge, etc. but on nearby alleys there were drugs and fights.
-In Ottawa, Wellington/Rideau rds. are too crowded celebrating and enjoying the amusements with musical concert from inside the Parliament stand.

-In Vancouver, people gather at the corner of Howe/Georgia st. all of them puffin weeds in celebration of what they call Cannabis Day.

I think the statement "Needle on Every Corner" is false in BC, Vancouver and the lower mainland but it is true when you go around East Hastings near downtown Vancouver.

The safest and cleanest place that I have been in Canada is Ottawa. It is the city that I admire most not only in Canada but the rest of the world. Vancouver is very beautiful that's why my family loves it there. We are used to the violence and drugs shown on TV but we are more concerned about the Cost of Living because it is the most expensive place in Canada.

Again, these are just my own personal opinion based on my experience.

2.1 murders
153 robberies
1350 break-ins
1261 vehicle thefts

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.