Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Property Tax when renting

Property Tax when renting

Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice
Default Property Tax when renting

Hi,

Prob a dumb question but we've never rented before so........

We'll be renting for about 6 mths when we arrive in Calgary. All the ad's i've seen give the monthly rental rate + utilities. Who pay's the council tax / property tax??

Regards,

Gavin
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Tax when renting

Originally Posted by Glam
Hi,

Prob a dumb question but we've never rented before so........

We'll be renting for about 6 mths when we arrive in Calgary. All the ad's i've seen give the monthly rental rate + utilities. Who pay's the council tax / property tax??

Regards,

Gavin
The owner of the property is responsible for property tax.

However be assured that it will likely be built in to your rent.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

personally I would make sure it's mentioned in the rental contract to be safe.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace
From the City of Calgary website.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+H...operty+Tax.htm
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaceace
It is not mentioned in the BC Residential tenancy contract. It is just a given that the property owner pays the tax, not the tenant.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not mentioned in the BC Residential tenancy contract. It is just a given that the property owner pays the tax, not the tenant.
Same in Alberta.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Property taxes are always the responsibilty of the property owner and also the insurance on the property but make sure YOU insure the contents, it's so cheap and take out replacement value.

As a renter you may be required to pay electricty/gas.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The owner of the property is responsible for property tax.

However be assured that it will likely be built in to your rent.
Thankyou to all. It's what i thought but always good to ask!!

Gav
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Glam
Thankyou to all. It's what i thought but always good to ask!!

Gav
It's also worth noting the damage deposit should not exceed the cost of one months rent. Make sure you do a pre-inspection of the property with the landlord before you move in and record any damage in writing. I always recommend taking pictures too.