Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Project Management for beginners - any advice

Project Management for beginners - any advice

Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project Management for beginners - any advice

I am looking to start a new career in the next 12 - 18 months. One thing that springs to mind and people in my present career have commented on is going in to Project Management.

I have no formal training in this and having looked at the courses provided by the local collages etc (Calgary) it does appear to be a bit of a minefield, with lots of choices and variations.

I have a slim chance of attending a course in the UK through my employer, but I have heard that the qualification may not be recognized and the practise taught could be different.

As an individual I am very well organised, flexible and have good fore sight, (comments from my superiors etc, may I add). In addition to this I like work that is fast paced, fluid and involves what we call "plate spinning".

I think I could possibly enjoy it and may even be good at it.

I would really appreciate any comments or advice in this field.

Thanks very much
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project Management for beginners - any advice

Originally Posted by Lamin
I am looking to start a new career in the next 12 - 18 months. One thing that springs to mind and people in my present career have commented on is going in to Project Management.

I have no formal training in this and having looked at the courses provided by the local collages etc (Calgary) it does appear to be a bit of a minefield, with lots of choices and variations.

I have a slim chance of attending a course in the UK through my employer, but I have heard that the qualification may not be recognized and the practise taught could be different.

As an individual I am very well organised, flexible and have good fore sight, (comments from my superiors etc, may I add). In addition to this I like work that is fast paced, fluid and involves what we call "plate spinning".

Thanks very much

http://books.google.ca/books?id=yzEK...page&q&f=false
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Thanks very much
Here in Victoria, UVIC run this:

http://www.business.uvic.ca/executiv...ct_management/

Perhaps there's something like this closer to home for you.

One of the things I enjoy about the PM work that I do is using my technical background. If you're looking to start off in project management why not build on the strengths and experience you have by managing projects in your own field of expertise.

In terms of certifications, PMI certification (PMP) is widely recognized.

Good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to this I like work that is fast paced, fluid and involves what we call "plate spinning".
It sounds like you have the jargon so you're half way there.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of projects do you intend to manage? What's your background?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What sort of projects do you intend to manage? What's your background?
You got a job going?
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

...hmm... is an unknown quantity at this point

Project Management can be both exciting and painful, just depends where you are in the project.

If you are just starting out, there are plenty of introduction books (like the 'Dummies' book link above) that make more sense of the world.

In terms of actual PM roles, it also depends on what your background is e.g. PM is used in all areas (more or less) but does a construction person have the knowledge to do an HR project? To go into PM, stay initially within your knowledge area and consider introductory roles e.g. junior PM etc to get a feel for the work and the demands. A lot of PM work though is based on what you can do and your knowledge and skills that you bring, reading books and going on courses is a good way to start but practical aspects are key.

If you haven't got work that would lead you to gaining use of the thoertical/ classroom learning, just apply the learnings to a project outside work e.g. moving country! If you make the connect between theory and practise, then it will help a hell of a lot.

Ultimately, getting into a PM role will open up new opprtunities and allow you to do other things. For example I've manged projects associated with business change, culture change, construction and so on, I might not be an expert in where I work but my PM skills are paramount (and also if they like me).

In terms of qualifications, for Canada (and most of the world) PMP is the better qualification but there are minimum experience levels to meet to be able to qualify for the exam (although the exam itself is pretty easy) so if you are thinking along these lines and want to get the PMP, look on the PMI website (www.pmi.org) and understand the experiences looked for.

Remember the PMP qualification is not confined to any 'industry', it is a standard that you meet and is recognised (and it also has some bloody good ideas too!).
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:40 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You got a job going?
No, I'm just curious as to why someone would claim to want to do something as vague and generic as "project management" without declaring some sort of interest in a particular field.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies particular to hmmmm.

In answer to your questions, my contract with my present employer runs out in about a year and I do not wish to renew it, hence looking for something either similar or completely different.

My background is not technical, but my area of "expertise" involves getting all the right parts in the right place at the right time, to put it simply.

I enjoy it and I figured perhaps there is an industry out there where I could fit in to.

To put in to prospective the move over here was very easy compared to what I normally do. Hence fluid, fast paced, flexible and plate spinning are usually an everyday occurence.

Like I said I am looking at various avenues for new employment but this type of work stimulates me personally.

Thanks for any further advice.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

If your background is not technical, it will be a bit harder to get into PM roles that require it. That said, I know a PM who manages construction projects and she has an Arts degree, she got the PM by slogging hard from the bottom and gaining experience. There are plenty of PM requirements for non-technical roles, you just have to match what is looked for.

If you are looking to head down the slippery slope of chaos identify where your strengths are and aim for those sectors, be flexible and even consider doing a work experience placement thingy. It all helps to get experience and even though I've been doing PM on and off for a while, I still learn new things (except at my age, the brain is now full and I don't remember all of it so I'm probably re-learning what I forgot)
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:19 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ...hmm...
. That said, I know a PM who manages construction projects and she has an Arts degree, she got the PM by slogging hard from the bottom and gaining experience. There are plenty of PM requirements for non-technical roles, you just have to match what is looked for.

)
How she got that job ill never know..the minium requirement for a condtruction PM is a P Eng or a degree in construction management and at least 5-8 yrs construction experience.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

She got the job for a few reasons, mainly due to her being able to demonstrate a high degree of organisation skills.

Additionally she is in the UK, not Canada so less regulation!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:31 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is even more surprising..i was going to say she would not have a chance in the UK..

PMs in the UK are not the same as in Canada..Construction PMs in the UK are site based and are mostly hugely experienced senior site managers..the equivilant to a Canadain PM is a UK contracts manager and 99% of those are again ex site managers with at least 10 years construction experience and often with a degree related construction qualification.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

my 2p-th

In my 21 years in IT, having gone from a bench engineer to a systems engineer to a technical project manager, to a technical architect and back to a systems engineer, I can honestly say I don't miss the stress of managing technical projects where customers have spent 6/7 figures, who were promised the earth by the sales guys and want things implemented yesterday, or ELSE! :-)

I guess it all depends on what field and how big the projects are.

I'm Prince2 certified, but I don't think it cuts the mustard here, but I'm guessing the on the job experience will.

Good luck :-)