Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Probubly a silly question

Probubly a silly question

Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

chadsleeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probubly a silly question

My girlfriend lives in Vancouver as a landed immigrant from Mexico. My family is having a big reunion in Seattle and I would like to take her. Does she just need her passport and landed immigrant papers to cross the US boarder, or does she need a visa?

Thank you for the help

-Chad
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

nayhkilas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Probubly a silly question

Yes she need US visa to cross a border I guess

Originally posted by chadsleeman:
My girlfriend lives in Vancouver as a landed immigrant from Mexico. My family is having a big reunion in Seattle and I would like to take her. Does she just need her passport and landed immigrant papers to cross the US boarder, or does she need a visa?

Thank you for the help

-Chad
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by nayhkilas:
Yes she need US visa to cross a border I guess
I called the US counslet and they told me "She SHOULD BE ok" with just her landed immigrant papers.

I know she has been to the US in the past, I just don't want any problems at the boarder, I am looking for a definite answer.

And IF she needs a Visitors Visa can you get this at the boarder same day?
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Strange. Canadian PR doesn't give you automatic visitor visa to US, so she may have problems entering US on border. How did she manage to visit US in the past from Mexico?

I called the US counslet and they told me "She SHOULD BE ok" with just her landed immigrant papers.

I know she has been to the US in the past, I just don't want any problems at the boarder, I am looking for a definite answer.

And IF she needs a Visitors Visa can you get this at the boarder same day?
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Strange. Canadian PR doesn't give you automatic visitor visa to US, so she may have problems entering US on border. How did she manage to visit US in the past from Mexico?
She visited the US in the past from Mexico with no visa. Another time she went to cross the boarder with her grandmother who was visiting Vancouver and they wouldn't let her grandmother across but would let her.

I know when she went home to visit Mexico she had to return to Canada within 5 months. I am very positive you can visit the US with your passport and Canadian landed immigrant papers. I know you can fly in to the US with them. I don't see why she shouldn't be able to drive in.

Obvesouly I am not 100% on this and I am looking for an answer before we go to the US :P
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

I don't know either. If people with Mexico citizenship are allowed to enter US, then no problem, but what I know is that Canadian PR doesn't give you visitor status to US automatically, they may give a permissions and may refuse.

She visited the US in the past from Mexico with no visa. Another time she went to cross the boarder with her grandmother who was visiting Vancouver and they wouldn't let her grandmother across but would let her.

I know when she went home to visit Mexico she had to return to Canada within 5 months. I am very positive you can visit the US with your passport and Canadian landed immigrant papers. I know you can fly in to the US with them. I don't see why she shouldn't be able to drive in.

Obvesouly I am not 100% on this and I am looking for an answer before we go to the US :P
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

ask her to conact US Consulate here in Vancouver and ask this question

I don't know either. If people with Mexico citizenship are allowed to enter US, then no problem, but what I know is that Canadian PR doesn't give you visitor status to US automatically, they may give a permissions and may refuse.
Old Aug 31st 2002, 7:48 am
Adlina Hamid

NAFTA Treaty - Correct me if I am wrong, does a Mexican still need a visa?

"chadsleeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by nayhkilas:
    > > Strange. Canadian PR doesn't give you automatic visitor visa to US, so she may
    > > have problems entering US on border. How did she manage to visit US in the past
    > > from Mexico?
    > >
    > >
    > She visited the US in the past from Mexico with no visa. Another time she went to
    > cross the boarder with her grandmother who was visiting Vancouver and they wouldn't
    > let her grandmother across but would let her.
    > I know when she went home to visit Mexico she had to return to Canada within 5
    > months. I am very positive you can visit the US with your passport and Canadian
    > landed immigrant papers. I know you can fly in to the US with them. I don't see why
    > she shouldn't be able to drive in.
    > Obvesouly I am not 100% on this and I am looking for an answer before we go to
    > the US :P
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

tanvir is an unknown quantity at this point

chad,

i am 100% sure, you can come to usa with a candian PR. you have to show your landing paper, current job paper and pay stub will do it , and also a your appartment or home lease. I think she will be fine. My friend who is not a usa citizen and have a candain PR, always come and visit me. He was here in usa 2 week ago. I hope this will help you.

thanks

tanvir

Originally posted by Adlina Hamid:
NAFTA Treaty - Correct me if I am wrong, does a Mexican still need a visa?

"chadsleeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by nayhkilas:
    > > Strange. Canadian PR doesn't give you automatic visitor visa to US, so she may
    > > have problems entering US on border. How did she manage to visit US in the past
    > > from Mexico?
    > >
    > >
    > She visited the US in the past from Mexico with no visa. Another time she went to
    > cross the boarder with her grandmother who was visiting Vancouver and they wouldn't
    > let her grandmother across but would let her.
    > I know when she went home to visit Mexico she had to return to Canada within 5
    > months. I am very positive you can visit the US with your passport and Canadian
    > landed immigrant papers. I know you can fly in to the US with them. I don't see why
    > she shouldn't be able to drive in.
    > Obvesouly I am not 100% on this and I am looking for an answer before we go to
    > the US :P
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Is your fried from Mexico? I crossed the boarder this morning and asked an office. He told me she would need a visa

Originally posted by tanvir:
chad,

i am 100% sure, you can come to usa with a candian PR. you have to show your landing paper, current job paper and pay stub will do it , and also a your appartment or home lease. I think she will be fine. My friend who is not a usa citizen and have a candain PR, always come and visit me. He was here in usa 2 week ago. I hope this will help you.

thanks

tanvir