Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Wikiposts

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:43 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Probably been here before. Where to live?

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
A bit in Alberta especially Calgary for the big stampede.
Calgary is a big draw for the Stampede, but Banff and Canmore are the tourist centres ... fantastic scenery and good for winter sports ... cheaper to visit than BC thanks to Alberta's lower taxes

Tourism in the rest of Alberta (Sylvan Lake, etc) is more for locals, but very active ... apart from an Albertan, who else wants to sit by an artificial lake in the middle of the prairies??!!

Speaking as an Albertan ... I like sitting by an artificial lake in the middle of the prairies ... it's sunny and there aren't any sharks in the water

Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Calgary is a big draw for the Stampede, but Banff and Canmore are the tourist centres ... fantastic scenery and good for winter sports ... cheaper to visit than BC thanks to Alberta's lower taxes

Tourism in the rest of Alberta (Sylvan Lake, etc) is more for locals, but very active ... apart from an Albertan, who else wants to sit by an artificial lake in the middle of the prairies??!!

Speaking as an Albertan ... I like sitting by an artificial lake in the middle of the prairies ... it's sunny and there aren't any sharks in the water
Yes can't forget Banff and Canmore. Gorgeous as well, the only problem is that the cost of housing in those areas is very high...but can be worth every penny!

Oh Sylvan lake...brings back many happy memories...great fishing there!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

We originally considered a B&B but then decided that we would prefer to have our own space in our own home, hence running separate establishments. At the end of the day it all depends on whether our application is successful, and how much we can realise from our assets and how much the potential properties will cost us. It is all a bit crystal ballish at the moment.

Good luck with your B&B and keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on.

Graham & Pauline

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
No problem...good luck! We are looking to open a B&B in BC so who knows we may be neighbours and competitors
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaznSue
Damnit Gray C, I was gonna ask that
Also, can someone tell me how crazy this scheme sounds, any pitfalls etc?

So far the plan is to pay the place as many visits as we can afford once we've made our mind up where we might like to go. If we go through with our app, get accepted & make it there in one piece, for starters we plan on getting any damn jobs that will bring home enough cash for us to live on. If we get that far I plan on applying for the police force, not sure what the Mrs wants to do yet.

While we're stuck in blighty, we're gonna bide our time, save up our cash & dig up as much info as we can, I'm thinking to join the Specials (volunteer police) so I have some previous experience but I've read a lot of posts saying Canadian experience is the only sort that counts, so would this be a waste of time?
Hi,

Unless your really keen I would'nt bother with the specials. I served for 8 years with Hampshire Constabulary and RCMP did'nt want to hear about it. With the current processing times for a PR it might pay you to join the regular police which takes about 6-12 months depending on the force area. Given the quoted 3 year processsing time you could gain a good 2 years experience that RCMP would recognise.

Good luck with the application

Steve
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
The prefered term is Innuit.

If you had bothered to search for the countless times that this question has been asked and not answered before you would know "Why Iqaluit"

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254755

and numerous other "where to go" threads

Is a fair question to ask I think.....I know its repetitive but theres no harm in people asking.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Is a fair question to ask I think.....I know its repetitive but theres no harm in people asking.
I just wish they would search before asking, would save a lot of everyones time. The answers havent changed since last time.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Having lived iN NS and Ontario, i definitely prefer Ontario simply becuase there is so much more to do here with my young child.

The Ontario Early Years Centres are fantastic, totally free and available six days a week including some evenings.

Better transport links here and more choice.

NS is beautiful though but seemed to suffer from harsher weather in the winter and more humid weather in the summer. The mosquitoes are terrible there as well. I have not yet expereinced them here in the summer though so I am kind of hoping that they will be better than they were in NS.

They definitely cleared the snow better in NS though!!!!!

Loved all the lakes in NS, brilliant for swimming. Definitely more of them within closer proximity there.

Hope this helps a little bit!!!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

I just wish they would search before asking, would save a lot of everyones time. The answers havent changed since last time.

Some people aren't as knowledgeable on websites though as you Iain, thats all.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:33 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Some people aren't as knowledgeable on websites though as you Iain, thats all.
Don't pull your punches ... just come straight out and tell him he's a smartarse

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt think searching the old posts was rocket science, just good manners. Maybe I'm smarter than I thought.

Wasnt there a suggestion a while ago that there should be some sort of sticky introductory FAQ type post for newbies? Might be helpfull in these circumstances.

Apart from the obvious "where to go" question what else should go in.

TV (PAL / NTSC/ DVD regions) comes up a lot, and credit worthyness, and car insurance / drivers licensing.

Anymore for anymore?

Last edited by iaink; Feb 9th 2005 at 4:46 am.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:41 am
Glaswegian

Maybe I'm smarter than I thought.
Do you want an honest answer or a nice answer??

We could do with some sort of sticky ... I'm so glad that you volunteered to maintain it ... come on everyone, give Iain a big pat on the back ...

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Do you want an honest answer or a nice answer??

We could do with some sort of sticky ... I'm so glad that you volunteered to maintain it ... come on everyone, give Iain a big pat on the back ...
Nice I think...but then given your previous comments about getting all polite, maybe honest is better

I dont think any maintainence is necessary, just have to get it started and pursued Ray to make it sticky. Be a good idea to have a short list of regular topics though before starting.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:49 am
Glaswegian

I dont think any maintainence is necessary, just have to get it started and pursued Ray to make it sticky. Be a good idea to have a short list of regular topics though before starting.
Any chance it can be filtered or secured to keep irrelevent posts (or posters) out?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't pull your punches ... just come straight out and tell him he's a smartarse

I just really don't see what the big deal is with asking, its tbe sort of question i might ask if I was new to the board and wanted adviceand I wouldn't probably think of using the search facility but that doesn't make me stupid.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Any chance it can be filtered or secured to keep irrelevent posts (or posters) out?
Could just lock the thread after its been edited to perfection!
Sure Ray could do that. If he has the time, and is getting any sleep.

while heading off topic....Ray...we need more pictures!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.