where to go?

Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile where to go?

Hi All

just filling in the forms to move out to Canada, however as i have 24 months to go we still have not made our minds up where to go?

I have been looking around the london area, however aftre reading some threads,alberta seams a nice place?

any help ideas you could give , really looking for a place that has low unempolymnet i work for dairy crest ,but am a trained chef so can do either and my wife works in further education.

many thanks

Gary
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:57 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to go?

Originally Posted by gary123
Hi All

just filling in the forms to move out to Canada, however as i have 24 months to go we still have not made our minds up where to go?

I have been looking around the london area, however aftre reading some threads,alberta seams a nice place?

any help ideas you could give , really looking for a place that has low unempolymnet i work for dairy crest ,but am a trained chef so can do either and my wife works in further education.

many thanks

Gary
AAARRGHH, not again!

In my opinion this is not a question anyone can answer. I used to say "Well, before they stoped ranking these things Quinte was ranked #1 for Quality of Life in Ontario, and at the time that Ontario was #1 Province in #1 country in the world" but really its meaningless, everyone if looking for something different. I love it here, others dont.

Best advice I can give is do some research, get a shortlist based on your particular requirements, and then we can help with some insider knowledge.

Cheers, and good luck with the hunt

Iain
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:10 am
Glaswegian

Alberta is nice and empty, with access to mountains, rivers, prairies and (some) lakes .... the weather in southern Alberta is as unpredictable as it gets and rumour has it, we have the highest rate of weather induced suicide in Canada ...

As Iain said, work out a list of your requirements ... personally, #1 would be where's the best chance you have of getting a job.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Alberta is nice and empty, with access to mountains, rivers, prairies and (some) lakes .... the weather in southern Alberta is as unpredictable as it gets and rumour has it, we have the highest rate of weather induced suicide in Canada ...

As Iain said, work out a list of your requirements ... personally, #1 would be where's the best chance you have of getting a job.
But Vancouver Island is "paradise on earth"
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
But Vancouver Island is "paradise on earth"
Wasnt paradise where that nasty serpent hung around, trying to temp Adam and Eve into eternal damnation or something Im confusing it with the Garden of Eden i think! Never mind, i never was much good at that religous stuff.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: where to go?

Originally Posted by iaink
Wasnt paradise where that nasty serpent hung around, trying to temp Adam and Eve into eternal damnation or something Im confusing it with the Garden of Eden i think! Never mind, i never was much good at that religous stuff.
Paradise, Garden of Eden - one in the same......tht nasty serpent really gets around!!!!! and there are lots of "serpeants' (just look at our govt") on Vancouver Island!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry you Guys

I read on and say that this subject was a pain as you get asked every other day.

that said if any one could recomend any good website for the alberta/ Toronto area this would be very helpfully,and i say never again speak the unholy words "where to go "

Cheers

G
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

There is no answer.

(1) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254485
(2) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253898
(3) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249850
(4) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231993
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:01 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Paradise, Garden of Eden - one in the same......tht nasty serpent really gets around!!!!! and there are lots of "serpeants' (just look at our govt") on Vancouver Island!!!!
And as they enter the first corner, the lead car hits an oily patch and skids off the track wildly out of control ..... now back to the OP ....

Have you looked on Workopolis or Monster yet?

You're a trained chef? Would you want to start your own buisness or get a job in a hotel or restaurant? What style of cooking are you into?

What do you do for dairy crest? Are there any openings here??

Your wife works in higher ed? Wher are there openings for her skills?

Have you investigated the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP), are there any provinces crying out for your particular skillset?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

All right, well here's an appetiser for thought to get you started.

I see potential for you and your wife to be affected by provincial occupational regulation. So first, use Google to see if any of the provinces have regulated the occupations that you are interested in. Don't be entirely deterred by provinces that heavily regulate the occupation you're interested in, because often that means that pay is higher.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

What sort of info are you after Gary?

Stats canada has a lot to offer for comparing communities, but its very "dry" and the Government also has lots of employment stats and weather stats available too.
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/prof...earchForm1.cfm
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/career/labmark.html
http://lmi-imt.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/stand...pid=43&lcode=E
http://lmi-imt.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/stand...v_main&lcode=e
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/

Not sure how much it tells you about real life here. For life in toronto there is www.toronto.com, news, events etc. and a ton of other sites to google for.

Enjoy!

Iain

sorry you Guys

I read on and say that this subject was a pain as you get asked every other day.

that said if any one could recomend any good website for the alberta/ Toronto area this would be very helpfully,and i say never again speak the unholy words "where to go "

Cheers

G
Old Sep 15th 2004, 6:33 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

www.settlement.org is well worth a look for anyone hoping to go to Ontario
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Talking Re: where to go?

Get the hours on the WWW.
There are lots of sights etc.
Then talk to this lot here and you will be fine, me lad !!!
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:10 am
Glaswegian

Next person who asks .... recommend Iqaluit in Nanavut ... why?
> It has more predictable weather than southern Alberta
> You're guaranteed a white Christmas
> July can be almost tropical (+8C average)
> I haven't seen any jobs there or property for sale, but that's never stopped a brave and hardy Brit expat from going anywhere

Old Jan 27th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Question Re: where to go?

Originally Posted by iaink
AAARRGHH, not again!

In my opinion this is not a question anyone can answer. I used to say "Well, before they stoped ranking these things Quinte was ranked #1 for Quality of Life in Ontario, and at the time that Ontario was #1 Province in #1 country in the world" but really its meaningless, everyone if looking for something different. I love it here, others dont.

Best advice I can give is do some research, get a shortlist based on your particular requirements, and then we can help with some insider knowledge.

Cheers, and good luck with the hunt

Iain
Interesting as we are thinking of moving to PEC soon. Please can you reassure or discourage us by telling us what it is about Quinte that you love/hate?
Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.