Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice
Default Re: Probably been here before. Where to live?

Originally Posted by daisymoll
I just really don't see what the big deal is with asking, its tbe sort of question i might ask if I was new to the board and wanted adviceand I wouldn't probably think of using the search facility but that doesn't make me stupid.
It just seems like an impossible question to answer. Like me saying "I'm moving to Europe, where should I go?" There are so many variables that depend on personal preferences. I guess I would have assumed that before moving to another country, you would have an idea of the different areas so the question could be narrowed down a bit.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:59 pm
Glaswegian

that doesn't make me stupid.
I certainly didn't say you were

Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I just really don't see what the big deal is with asking, its tbe sort of question i might ask if I was new to the board and wanted adviceand I wouldn't probably think of using the search facility but that doesn't make me stupid.
I dont remember anyone calling anyone stupid, but would you really want to take advice from a bunch of people until you had read a bit of what they have said on the subject in the past??? Again, maybe its just my nature to watch for a while from the side before jumping into the fray. Its not a big deal, but as a regular here it gets tiring seeing the same impossible question time and again, so it was decided a few posts ago to give a smartarse answer.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

GaznSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SAW04
I served for 8 years with Hampshire Constabulary and RCMP did'nt want to hear about it.
You prolly already know this since it sounds like your already across the pond, but just in case you don't, there's other forces besides the RCMP (& last time I checked you had to have citizenship before they'd let you apply for RCMP). I found a few on the websites for the various states.
I thought about applying for the regular police, but the probation period lasts 2 years & I was worried it might look like I couldn't hack it if i left just as that was up.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:40 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by GaznSue
the various states.
Ooops ... please don't call provinces states when you get here, they'll lynch you.

Each major city has its own police department ... in Alberta, the smaller communities and highways are policed by the RCMP ... but I believe that Ontario has some sort of provincial police deprtament??

Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont remember anyone calling anyone stupid, but would you really want to take advice from a bunch of people until you had read a bit of what they have said on the subject in the past??? Again, maybe its just my nature to watch for a while from the side before jumping into the fray. Its not a big deal, but as a regular here it gets tiring seeing the same impossible question time and again, so it was decided a few posts ago to give a smartarse answer.

I wasn't saying anyone did call me stupid, everyone is way too touchy here. All I made was a casual observation offering up why people may ask time and time again!!!! It wasn't meant to be anything deep!!!! And who cares if people ask time and time again, I mean does it really matter.

Anyway matter aside, I think the sticky posts would be a great idea, maybe there could be one each for all the main provinces!!!

Last edited by daisymoll; Feb 9th 2005 at 11:33 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:35 pm
Glaswegian

everyone is way too touchy here.
Very true

Anyway matter aside, I think the sticky posts would be a great idea, maybe there could be one each for all the main provinces!!!
And one for Iqaluit

Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I believe that Ontario has some sort of provincial police deprtament??
Thats the OPP. In addition many small townships have there own independent forces. even tiny Stirling has its own PD, as does Belleville. These seem to be slowly being amalgamaeted with the OPP for cost efficiencies, for example recently the "Quinte West" PD became an OPP detachment, and even Quinte West was a fairly recent amalgamation of a number of townships.

All a bit different to the UK. The RCMP acts as a kind of FBI as well as a local force, and the OPP will be called in to help with big investigations beyond the scope of a small town force.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

As the originator of this "tiring impossible question" I would just like to state a few points on this matter.

I fully recognise that many questions of a similar nature have already been asked before, hence my thread title starting "Probably been here before......"

However, what I was trying to ask for was some personal opinions about various provinces, regions etc, purely as a means of getting a feel for a place with a view to possibly making a reconnaisance visit later this year. It was never intended to be a really serious question to get responses that I would act upon and then come back to haunt people if their recommendation did not live up to our expectations. As I said, just a few personal opinions was all I wanted!

Thanks for all of you that offered your views on various places, I have found this to be useful as part of my research into where we would like to live. So in that respect, I have found the thread to be very helpful

It should also be noted that this thread has been read almost 600 times as of today (10/02/05 at 9.42am) with in excess of 37 replies to date, which is not bad for a repetitive subject. It just proves that it is still a subject that people want to read and hear about. I suspect that the majority of the people that find this subject most useful are the people like myself, still in the UK, but still unsure as to where they would like to settle in Canada.

Anyone currently living in Canada (or not, as it may be) that is tired of the subject can simply ignore the thread when it is next posted, which I am in no doubt will happen again in the near future.

Iaink, I am not having a go at you, and please do not take offence, I have found this particular thread to be enlightening.. and entertaining, and has been contributed to in the true manner of this forum!

For me the question and ultimately the answers have been useful, which in itself has served its purpose. At least I now know where Iqaluit is in Canada!

Originally Posted by iaink
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear, I don't usually get involved with this one but here it goes. The senior members are not trying to be rude. If i came on and asked which car should I buy, it is impossible to answer. Do I need all-wheel drive, do i want it to be fast, what about a two seater or do you have 15 kids etc.

That is why its funny when a post appears recommending a bloody robin reliant! Its not supposed to be serious!

But if I posted "There is me and my girlfriend, we have no kids, not planning any. Would like a fast car but must be spacious as we go camping and need to fit in a tent" etc, it helps someone say "I have a subaru estate, I like it, its fast, you fit a tent in it, try it"

Now apply to locations in Canada.

The danger here is that some people will start to ignore some questions because of repetition and valuable info for others will be lost. Carry on please Glas, iaink, willmore etc etc

Last edited by owen; Feb 10th 2005 at 10:51 am.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

I do not wish to imply that the senior members are being rude. Far from it, they offer a valuable source of information to us "greenies" in the UK. All I am trying to say is that the theme of my thread was intended to be slightly different to the usual "Where is best to live". It may be that I did not phrase my original question clear enough.

As you said in your reply "It is not supposed to be serious" I agree.

At the end of the day I have received some useful advice

Originally Posted by owen
Oh dear, I don't usually get involved with this one but here it goes. The senior members are not trying to be rude. If i came on and asked which car should I buy, it is impossible to answer. Do I need all-wheel drive, do i want it to be fast, what about a two seater or do you have 15 kids etc.

That is why its funny when a post appears recommending a bloody robin reliant! Its not supposed to be serious!

But if I posted "There is me and my girlfriend, we have no kids, not planning any. Would like a fast car but must be spacious as we go camping and need to fit in a tent" etc, it helps someone say "I have a subaru estate, I like it, its fast, you fit a tent in it, try it"

Now apply to locations in Canada.

The danger here is that some people will start to ignore some questions because of repetition and valuable info for others will be lost. Carry on please Glas, iaink, willmore etc etc
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:42 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Gray C
As I said, just a few personal opinions was all I wanted!
Some of us are too scared to do that ... someone always seems to leap down your throat

I like Calgary ... it's relaxed in a very anally retentive way, but I never really got into Toronto, I just didn't like the place ... most of the people I meet in Calgary who express and opinion on the matter say the same thing.

I've never been to Vancouver because I don't even like the thought of going somewhere there's even a chance it will rain ... blizzards don't bother me, but I can't stand rain.

I'll get lynched for making the comment, but I didn't even consider moving to a city anywhere else in Canada, because they just don't have enough IT jobs to support a decent career.

Now that I've set myself up for some serious abuse, I'm going to make breakfast

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Some of us are too scared to do that ... someone always seems to leap down your throat

I like Calgary ... it's relaxed in a very anally retentive way, but I never really got into Toronto, I just didn't like the place ... most of the people I meet in Calgary who express and opinion on the matter say the same thing.

I've never been to Vancouver because I don't even like the thought of going somewhere there's even a chance it will rain ... blizzards don't bother me, but I can't stand rain.

I'll get lynched for making the comment, but I didn't even consider moving to a city anywhere else in Canada, because they just don't have enough IT jobs to support a decent career.

Now that I've set myself up for some serious abuse, I'm going to make breakfast
Seriously Glaswegian I don't see what abuse you can get from that. I think the abuse comes when people (no person in mind at all!!!) give their opinions but don't allow others to have differing opinions.

At the end of the day some people will love Toronto, some won't, personally I didn't think it looked all that great either!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

At the end of the day some people will love Toronto, some won't,
And thats exactly why its pointless to expect this type of thread to do anything but start a debate. As I've said before (and Glaswegian has had similar experiences Im sure) I used to reply about how wonderfull Quinte is, and how it was #1 for quality of life in Ontario, which at the time was #1 province for quality of life in the #1 Country for quality of life blah blah blah, but, then I would get slammed by people saying, but theres nothing there and I cant buy Italian loafers and $200 shirts etc etc etc.

There is no answer to a thread like this, everyone is different and is looking for something different. I appreciate that this thread was better phrased than most, and "Iqaluit" was just an off the cuff answer, but it sums up in one word the pointlessness of a general question of this type, which I think is a point that owen made really well (but Im karmalocked again).
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:47 pm
Glaswegian

I bet you can get Italian loafers and $200 shirts in Iqaluit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.