Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Probably been here before. Where to live?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Probably been here before. Where to live?

Hi

We are still weighing up where we would like to move to in Canada, but I would just like to hear a few pros and cons for various areas provinces etc to help us decide. Dependent upon what you say, may determine where we go on holiday this year, on our reconnaisance trip.

We would like to buy a main residence and another smaller property(ies) to be used as a holiday let as a means of partial income. Any suggestions?

We have been to Ontario and really like it, but it would be foolish to decide on one particular place without considering all the other options.

We are just looking for a few ideas, so personal thoughts from people who live there is what I would really like to hear. Likewise any info on nice places to stay for a couple of weeks would also be useful.

Job wise I am in Financial services, but do not intend to stay in this industry once settled in Canada. If we cannot make a living from property letting I would be happy to consider any stress free occupation.

Weather is not too important, we know what to expect.

I have heard positive reports about Nova Scotia, Ontario, BC and Alberta, but about other areas that never seem to get mentioned?

Over to you all for your thoughts

Regards

Gray C
Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably been here before. Where to live?

Iqaluit

Last edited by iaink; Feb 8th 2005 at 4:22 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

GaznSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Damnit Gray C, I was gonna ask that
Also, can someone tell me how crazy this scheme sounds, any pitfalls etc?

So far the plan is to pay the place as many visits as we can afford once we've made our mind up where we might like to go. If we go through with our app, get accepted & make it there in one piece, for starters we plan on getting any damn jobs that will bring home enough cash for us to live on. If we get that far I plan on applying for the police force, not sure what the Mrs wants to do yet.

While we're stuck in blighty, we're gonna bide our time, save up our cash & dig up as much info as we can, I'm thinking to join the Specials (volunteer police) so I have some previous experience but I've read a lot of posts saying Canadian experience is the only sort that counts, so would this be a waste of time?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

So you think we are Eskimos?

Originally Posted by iaink
Iqaluit
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Iqaluit

Heck What an experience that would be for you all!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:07 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Gray C
It's Innuit ... Iqaluit is -30C and sunny today, almost tropical.

We decided a long time ago that Iqaluit was the ideal answer to an almost unanswerable question ... ie.where to go in Canada?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The prefered term is Innuit.

If you had bothered to search for the countless times that this question has been asked and not answered before you would know "Why Iqaluit"

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254755

and numerous other "where to go" threads
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK I consider myself told off for asking such a "daft" question, but you must appreciate that we are on the other side of the pond and need as much support and advice that we can get. As I said in my original question I was only seeking personal opinions, as I feared I would get a reply like this. Any suggestions offered would only be taken for guidance purposes only!!

The prefered term is Innuit.

If you had bothered to search for the countless times that this question has been asked and not answered before you would know "Why Iqaluit"

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254755

and numerous other "where to go" threads
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:19 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Iqaluit

All kidding aside... I'm going to put a plug in for the north. A substantial segment of my family lives in the Yukon and they wouldn't live anywhere else. It is a compelling, beautiful place though obviously not for everyone. I can't begin to describe the natural beauty and sense of peace one experinces up there. It's amazing. The summers beat anything else in Canada, IMO, though the winters are definitely "an experience" best experienced with a plane ticket to Cuba in your possession. For those really wanting to escape the rat race (as oppose to those who say they do yet go about re-creating it for themselves but in a different country) I suggest, at the very least, giving it a consideration.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Sorry if I was short with you, just fed up of seing the same impossible question time and time again. If you are still posting here in 3 years, you'll probably be beating me to it with the smartarse answer to some unfortunate new poster!

This forum works at its best if you can narrow down your options and then ask for opinions from those who have first hand experience of an area.

Otherwise everyone will tell you there little corner of this huge country is the best place, and for them it is, but without knowing outside interests, career prospects, weather tollerances etc you are asking a lot to suggest areas that are right for you. for example welshmountie has set his heart on the Quinte area where I live. I'll tell you its a nice area, and Im happy here, but he works in IT and there is no major IT employer here. If you suggest a few places and tell us what in particular you are looking for, then I'm sure you will have a more productive response (hopefully!)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Iaink

I accept what you say and I knew it was a difficult question to answer. As I said in my original message, weather tolerance is not a major issue, within reason (I do not think we would like the weather in the far north of Canada in the winter). we are not averse to a bit of snow, likewise rain, as I believe is the norm in BC. Summer we like warmth and sun. As I mentioned if it is feasible, we would like to buy a couple of holiday homes to let out and hopefully generate some income this way. I would already be able to bring about £600 per month from the UK and without a mortgage I would hope that we could make a reasonable (not extravagant) living.

Am I way off beam with my thoughts on this one? if so, I would be happy to do any sort of stress free work that would bring in enough income to live on, so therefore I do not think career chasing is important, except for my original idea, which would mean living somewhere where tourists are likely to want to visit, most of the year round.

Places to consider.... Having only been to Ontario, that is one of the reasons I would like a bit more info regarding Nova Scotia, BC etc. The only place that I can think of that might fit the bill in Ontario is Stratford. Any other suggestions.

All I would like to know, is our idea a pipe dream or reality? if the latter, some suggestions of places that might fit the bill would be gratefully received.

This forum works at its best if you can narrow down your options and then ask for opinions form those who have first hand experience of an area. Everyone will tell you there little corner of this huge country is the best place, and for them it is, but without knowing outside interest, career prospects, weather tollerances etc you are asking a lot to suggest areas right for you. for example welshmountie has set his heart on the Quinte area where I live. I'll tell you its a nice area, and Im happy here, but he works in IT and there is no major IT employer here. If you suggest a few places Im sure and tell us what in particular you are looking for, then you will have a more productive response (hopefully!)

Sorry if I was short with you, Just fed up of seing the same imposible question time and time again. If you are still posting here in 3 years, youll probably be beating me to it with the smartarse answer to some unfortunate new poster!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:01 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

we are not averse to a bit of snow
that's good... plenty here even if this year was mild (well for montreal it was).

And with that hint, can i reiterate that Montreal is nice... though to work here you do need to have a good basis of french.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Iaink

I accept what you say and I knew it was a difficult question to answer. As I said in my original message, weather tolerance is not a major issue, within reason (I do not think we would like the weather in the far north of Canada in the winter). we are not averse to a bit of snow, likewise rain, as I believe is the norm in BC. Summer we like warmth and sun. As I mentioned if it is feasible, we would like to buy a couple of holiday homes to let out and hopefully generate some income this way. I would already be able to bring about £600 per month from the UK and without a mortgage I would hope that we could make a reasonable (not extravagant) living.

Am I way off beam with my thoughts on this one? if so, I would be happy to do any sort of stress free work that would bring in enough income to live on, so therefore I do not think career chasing is important, except for my original idea, which would mean living somewhere where tourists are likely to want to visit, most of the year round.

Places to consider.... Having only been to Ontario, that is one of the reasons I would like a bit more info regarding Nova Scotia, BC etc. The only place that I can think of that might fit the bill in Ontario is Stratford. Any other suggestions.

All I would like to know, is our idea a pipe dream or reality? if the latter, some suggestions of places that might fit the bill would be gratefully received.

As I've mentioned on a few other posts...I don't know east of Manitoba at all, but I know the west. If you are looking for tourism...BC is the place. The Rockies draw thousands year round. Summer all outdoor pursuits, winter outdoor pursuits from skiing to hunting. So if looking to let out a home for extra income...this would not be a bad place to do it.

No tourism to speak of in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. A bit in Alberta especially Calgary for the big stampede.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
As I've mentioned on a few other posts...I don't know east of Manitoba at all, but I know the west. If you are looking for tourism...BC is the place. The Rockies draw thousands year round. Summer all outdoor pursuits, winter outdoor pursuits from skiing to hunting. So if looking to let out a home for extra income...this would not be a bad place to do it.

No tourism to speak of in Manitoba or Saskatchewan. A bit in Alberta especially Calgary for the big stampede.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Thanks for the information.
No problem...good luck! We are looking to open a B&B in BC so who knows we may be neighbours and competitors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.