Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Prince Edward County?

Prince Edward County?

Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Edward County?

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
What are the people like?
Are you sure you meant Prince Edward County and not Prince Edward Island?

The county, other than farmers is mostly retirees who cashed in Toronto property to move to a larger place and a slower pace of life.

Its rural, but only 2h from Toronto, maybe 3 to Ottawa, and 4 or so to Montreal.

Wine is the most recent big thing there, but its been antiquey/ arty for a while. Agriculture I guess is the real foundation of the economy, but its starting to come onto the GTA radar as a vacation destination other than the "Near North"

I know a guy who lives in Picton and hes happy enough, but he worked in Belleville which is a 45 min drive. Hes recently retired.

The problem with the county is other than opening a seasonal B&B or a winery (which wont make any money anyway), what do you plan to do for money. Its basically a retirement community for those who have cashed in eleswhere.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 27th 2013 at 7:28 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 6:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I would say yes to everything really. No idea about the snow
It gets a fair amount of lake effect snow in the winter so snowier than where we are. Certainly the south side anyway. Nothing like a mountainous region though obviously.

Cycling and Canoeing are going to be seasonal activities except for the very hardy.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 27th 2013 at 7:02 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
I went there once, to buy chickens. It was a bit far for a day but I started out an hour north of Toronto. I'd say that, from PEC, Toronto or Montreal would both be a bit far for a pleasure day trip but easily done with an overnight stay. I would think that either could be reached in a relaxed manner by train from Kingston.
Not sure how you would get from Kingston to the county by public transit? Belleville or Trenton will get you onto Via Rail and off to a big city if you can afford the fares anyway...

Beside, werent those chickens from carrying place, thats not really the county proper

If we plan going to a show or something in Toronto in the evening then we will stay overnight, but shopping and that is a day trip. Ive made it from belleville to the Toronto Exhibition Place in 2 hrs before, but granted, by some miracle I didnt run into hardly any traffic, and didnt have to find a parking spot once there.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 27th 2013 at 7:20 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I are basically retired. He has a nice pension from Tesco.
He is also doing some consulting. So money is not a problem.
Ad yes, I mean county, not island. I've had it with islands.
Except for Britian. I'd love to go home.

I lived in Colorado once too. Liked the snow, at least until feb.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

motormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Are you sure you meant Prince Edward County and not Prince Edward Island?

The county, other than farmers is mostly retirees who cashed in Toronto property to move to a larger place and a slower pace of life.

Its rural, but only 2h from Toronto or Oshawa.

Wine is the most recent big thing there, but its been antiquey/ arty for a while. Agriculture I guess is the real foundation of the economy, but its starting to come onto the GTA radar as a vacation destination other than the "Near North"

I know a guy who lives in Picton and hes happy enough, but he worked in Belleville which is a 45 min drive. Hes recently retired.

The problem with the county is other than opening a seasonal B&B or a winery (which wont make any money anyway), what do you plan to do for money. Its basically a retirement community for those who have cashed in eleswhere.
I would disagree that the county is basically a retirement community. It's true that there is a significantly older population and there are definitely lots of retirees who have cashed in on GTA property and moved here, but there are also quite a few people like me - younger, creative types who could not afford property in Toronto and have moved here to start businesses and careers. If you find the right people it's a great community with plenty more to do than might meet the eye.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

motormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of lightmotormatic is a glorious beacon of light

We're sort of an island though
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not go home?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Actually, I did mention it before, but as I remember, the conversation petered out before I got a very good picture of the area.

Are people friendly and willing to be your friend? Here they are casually chatty, but when it comes to really forming friendships they are pretty standoffish. Ive been told no one will befriend you until you have been around for three years.
Three years sounds about right and people here are largely the same, chatty, friendly enough but to be fair its like anywhere else, the existing community isnt looking for new friends. However, if you find some people with common interests then there is more chance of things clicking.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Husband wants to be that pioneer type. Too many people in Britain for him.
And the US healthcare system is too expensive and very messed up. I'd the Canda over the US any day...
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Just checking...

The county is basically an island, there are three bridges,other than that its water all around There is a ferry and everything
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Husband wants to be that pioneer type. Too many people in Britain for him.
And the US healthcare system is too expensive and very messed up. I'd the Canda over the US any day...
Well, on the county there is a good chance you will have to get by without electricity at least some of the time. Today being a case in point...
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by motormatic
I would disagree that the county is basically a retirement community. It's true that there is a significantly older population and there are definitely lots of retirees who have cashed in on GTA property and moved here, but there are also quite a few people like me - younger, creative types who could not afford property in Toronto and have moved here to start businesses and careers. If you find the right people it's a great community with plenty more to do than might meet the eye.
The point was though that good local sources of income are hard to come by, people accept that Belleville or Trenton or Kingston are the "local" economic centers, even though thats an hour each way. The county is to its credit trying to create a good environment for young start ups, but it really needs to succeed to prevent everyone under the age of 30 having to head elsewhere for want of decent local opportunities. Im not arguing its not a good community though, this part of the world doesnt lack for that.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 27th 2013 at 7:13 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how you would get from Kingston to the county by public transit?

Beside, werent those chickens from carrying place, thats not really the county
You'd drive to Kingston.

Carrying Place does ring a bell, it was a swampy place and I had to cross a bridge to reach it.

On edit:

"Performance Poultry is located in Prince Edward County ..."

http://www.performancepoultry.com/index.php
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
You'd drive to Kingston.

Carrying Place does ring a bell, it was a swampy place and I had to cross a bridge to reach it.
I edited... Why drive an hour the wrong way?

Swampy place across a bridge? Maybe it was the county proper afterall
Old Nov 27th 2013, 7:56 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I edited... Why drive an hour the wrong way?

Swampy place across a bridge? Maybe it was the county proper afterall
I know right....some people I tell ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.