Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Price comparison

Price comparison

Old May 16th 2014, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price comparison

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've seen that site before. It was way off.

Just checked it again. Still way off.

One bedroom apartment $683 or downtown @ $733

My duplex rents for $640 2 bed and $540 for 1 bed. That's upstairs plus attic and balcony and downstairs plus basement and deck. About 10 minutes walk from downtown and there are plenty of good places for less. I check the paper and kijiji from time to time and most rents are lower than mine.
That website is hit and miss, it's all based on user submissions. If there is limited data or old data it can be way off. Best bet it to scroll to the bottom and check the number of submissions and the date of the last submission.

Moncton only has 27 submissions vs Vancouver's 339 in the last 18 months.
Old May 16th 2014, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My duplex rents for $640 2 bed and $540 for 1 bed. That's upstairs plus attic and balcony and downstairs plus basement and deck. About 10 minutes walk from downtown and there are plenty of good places for less. I check the paper and kijiji from time to time and most rents are lower than mine.
I want those kind of rents....We are in subsidized rental in BC and pay more then that.....Any jobs out there...lol
Old May 16th 2014, 7:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
That website is hit and miss, it's all based on user submissions.
Clearly none of us are users: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ty2=Birmingham

Calgary v. Birmingham (is Birmingham average?) - they come out almost the same overall, booze and rent are obviously way more in Calgary and fuel is obviously way more in Birmingham.

However one of the biggest differences is on cheese, which it says is 43% more expensive in Birmingham - and the one thing we all agreed on was that it was more expensive here!

So yeah, I wouldn't read too much into it. But anyway I don't think there's that massive of a difference overall, although you're going to notice bread and booze for sure.
Old May 16th 2014, 8:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In the UK a great number of people can propel themselves to Waitrose using shank's pony, a bicycle, or a bus. It doesn't matter that the groceries might be five pee more in the UK if the cost of hacking across the tundra through relentless blizzards to fetch them in Canada exceeds the value of the goods themselves.
But you don't have to go as often because fridges and houses are larger here, which is presumably why the item size is usually larger here too because you can store it. So instead of going say, 2-3 times a week you go once a week which is a big saving and electricity costs less so no downside to the larger fridge. Also, fuel is cheaper, so I would expect it's cheaper here if you include your trip.
Old May 16th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I see they have Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney pies (and all the others) for half price.

There's nothing in them any more.

Just a balloon crust, some gravy and one piece of Pedigree Chum.
Old May 16th 2014, 9:31 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Budget levels were deliberately matched..
It just that found we could fit more, and sometimes better into it that proved interesting..

I think when I moved over to Canada 14yrs ago, it was genuinely cheaper
But after many value hikes every time the CAD dollar got close or on parity with the US dollar, that difference slowly eroded, I don't think its there anymore...
Old May 16th 2014, 11:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
.....Any jobs out there...lol
Yes, but snow too.
Old May 17th 2014, 1:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But you don't have to go as often because fridges and houses are larger here, which is presumably why the item size is usually larger here too because you can store it. So instead of going say, 2-3 times a week you go once a week which is a big saving and electricity costs less so no downside to the larger fridge. Also, fuel is cheaper, so I would expect it's cheaper here if you include your trip.
But people are bigger here. I assume that, in order to maintain, or indeed, to initially establish, their bulk, people in Canada must eat more.
Old May 17th 2014, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Pretty easy to get 733 in montreal
Old May 17th 2014, 11:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scribble
Pretty easy to get 733 in montreal
It may well be. My comparison was the site is overestimating by about $200 for Moncton.

The site says $612/$878 for Montreal but there are 12 times as many submissions so probably more accurate.

My mother in law was a 20 minute drive from downtown Montreal three years ago and paid less than $600 for a 3 bedroom apartment!!
Old May 21st 2014, 12:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by withabix
There's nothing in them any more.

Just a balloon crust, some gravy and one piece of Pedigree Chum.
I sometimes think to myself I'm better off in Calgary because you get expats who start up businesses to cater to other expats and usually they do a better job of it than a big business abroad would do. Yes they charge more but the quality is better. I can think of two butchers, MacEwan's and Valbella's who turn out generally decent stuff, small butchers like that wouldn't stand a chance in the UK nowadays.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

I sometimes think to myself I'm better off in Calgary because you get expats who start up businesses to cater to other expats and usually they do a better job of it than a big business abroad would do. Yes they charge more but the quality is better. I can think of two butchers, MacEwan's and Valbella's who turn out generally decent stuff, small butchers like that wouldn't stand a chance in the UK nowadays.
They would if the people in the UK realised the rubbish they are being sold by Sainsberescos.
Old May 21st 2014, 1:55 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Electricity is cheaper in the UK. Way cheaper. Fuel might be cheaper here but I spend more here on fuel as the distance I cover is way more. I used to walk everywhere in the UK. Don't do that much anymore. I think everything is generally cheaper in the UK actually, and we've only just left.
Old May 21st 2014, 2:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think everything is generally cheaper in the UK actually, and we've only just left.
Partly maybe because of the current FX. Although when I was there last fall, I thought how expensive many things were compared to here.

When we arrived, it was way cheaper here with a GBP worth $2.30CAD

The cost of things is immaterial, what matters is how much you have left after the cost of living. We were and still are way better of than when living in the UK.
Old May 21st 2014, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So you fancy a glass of Ribena or need to make a lager and black

At Tesco a 1 litre bottle is on sale actually 2 for 4 quid.
At London Drugs a 1 litre bottle is on sale for $7.99

Now you can choose to pay the $7.99 plus tax or bitch and moan and have a relative ship it over which Im guessing will cost more than buying 2 x bottles at London Drugs
Ex pats need to accept that UK products they are used to cost more in Canada as they are shipped to distributors in bulk who then take their cut from selling to stores who then have to make their profit.
Many companies will not sell directly to stores and force them to go through an authorized distributor in Canada. Even those that will sell direct there usually is a minimum quantity or value of order.
Get used to it or try to find Canadian equivalents though Ribena is a tough act to follow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.