Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Price comparison

Price comparison

Old May 15th 2014, 9:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price comparison

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We spend 200 a month on food for 2 people, what we eat varies week to week based on what is on sale and generally if its not on sale we don't buy it.
I imagine quite a few people will think you must be starving and/or going without.

Back when we were 2 plus 2 teens at school (2005-2009) we were spending around $400 a month, including wine and all the household stuff. The kids were naturally responsible for eating most of that.

We ate well enough. As part of one of her lessons, the eldest had to report what she had for dinner each evening and the teacher was always saying she had a good balance and was eating better than most of the other kids.
Old May 15th 2014, 10:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Save on want a whopping $4.99 for the exact same product
Well Safeway is owned by Sobey's now. Save-on-foods imx appear to have good prices on a few staple things at the back of the store and they make you walk past everything else to get to them. Loss-leader strategy.
Old May 15th 2014, 10:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The flyers.

They are, of course, special offer prices and one could argue a fairer comparison would be with the offer prices in the UK. It's just that the UK doesn't seem to do so many different things for so much less than their normal prices.

And the Canadian special offer prices seem to come around so often as to actually be more the norm. Those lower prices I mentioned are what I typically pay.
You get flyers for British supermarkets in Canada?
Old May 15th 2014, 10:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Trouble is that (a) Tesco's is quite an expensive supermarket these days (Aldi/Lidl/Asda are cheaper) and (b) you're not comparing the cheapest things or taking in to account special offers. For example, the Tesco value back bacon works out as $2.98 for 300g. So your comparisons aren't what most on a budget would buy anyway, I tend to buy 'value' (if at Tesco) or 'smart price' (if at Asda) products unless it's meat (except for the bacon which I find fine).
The purpose of the exercise is to have a like-for-like comparison. I'm sure there are places in both countries that are cheaper or more expensive, but the logical way to go about it (it seemed to me) was to compare retail prices from the two largest supermarket chains. Which has the overall lowest price on any given thing isn't relevant in drawing a comparison, what I'm trying to establish is whether one jurisdiction is overtly more expensive than the other.

Actually thinking about it, The Economist uses the price of a Big Mac for comparing cost of living. However that would require me to go into a McDonald's...

Does anyone know how much a Big Mac costs in Canada and the UK?
Old May 15th 2014, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know how much a Big Mac costs in Canada and the UK?

IIRC the Big Mac combo in Canadian dollars e.g. $7.99 was in pounds in the UK i.e. nearly 8 quid. Chances are that has now changed. While I agree comparison prices are useful to newcomers after being here for years the prices become less relevant as you are now used to the Canadian way of life. Think airfares within Canada
Don't like the prices then shop in the US or go back home. Ive seen prices in the US WalMarts more expensive than the Canadian ones.
Expecting things to change well good luck in that although I have noticed some products are not as expensive as they used to be.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You get flyers for British supermarkets in Canada?
Do they have flyers?

My comment that the offers in the UK aren't as good nor of the same numbers in Canada is based on an awareness of the differences at the time I moved. Also the same observation from my mother when she visited and she's not told me that Sainsburys and Tesco, for example, have since become comparable.

Of course that doesn't mean they haven't improved on offers. Indeed, over on the MBTTUK forum, I have seen people post that they do more offers than they used to.

But I do look from time to time out of curiosity. Just looking at Sainsburys...there's no flyer advertised. The website is advertising offers. 18 of them.
The best deal is a BOGOF. On crisps. There's one BOGOF.

The others are mainly £2 instead of £2.40 to £2.50. Up to 20% off. There's one with a third off. Most are about 10% off.

The new Superstore flyer has about 18 offers on its front page alone including Steak @$6.88 instead of $12.19; half price ice cream; a third off bread; 40% off packs of pop; bog paper/kitchen roll $9.97 instead of $15.99; Scallops a third off.

On the back page there are another 16 including cheese@ $5.79 instead of $7.19; more than half off Fruit drink; crab legs @ $9.99 instead of $18.99.

In between those two pages there are another 14 pages of grocery and household items with 10% to 30% off.

That is a massive difference in the number of products available for much less than normal, so I'm not seeing a great change.

Of course, it's just Sainsburys but I doubt Tesco are doing much different.

Of course I'm not saying that the prices in Canada are cheaper. I'm just saying that it appears one can buy a wide selection of food in Canada's grocery stores for much less than normally charged. Much less so in the UK.

Last edited by BristolUK; May 16th 2014 at 12:35 am.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_
The purpose of the exercise is to have a like-for-like comparison. I'm sure there are places in both countries that are cheaper or more expensive, but the logical way to go about it (it seemed to me) was to compare retail prices from the two largest supermarket chains. Which has the overall lowest price on any given thing isn't relevant in drawing a comparison, ?
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
Old May 16th 2014, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I can add in that we used to spend around $1100 a month in Canada, we now spend £600 in the UK and I think/feel that we eat better

Meal sizes haven’t changed, but more variety in the diet and we eat lamb much more than we used too, we have a roast dinner most weekends, we have greater selection of cheese, much better selection of breads, (and for some bizarre reason I have a mountain of chocolate)
But isn't that the same as per the OP's comparison. If you use his $1.85 to the pound exchange rate then the above costs per month are identical although your selection is technically improved.
We are probably spending around $800 per month inclusive of chocolate.
Old May 16th 2014, 10:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Look, it's simple. My mum says it's more expensive here than there. My mum is always right.
Old May 16th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

BOGOFs and half price offers are much rarer than they used to be in the UK. I remember seeing this change over 5 years ago. Instead they tend to have "offers" like 2 for £2.50 on items that cost £1.30 each. Amazing what people will buy just because the supermarket tells them they are getting a deal.
Old May 16th 2014, 11:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But I do look from time to time out of curiosity. Just looking at Sainsburys...there's no flyer advertised. The website is advertising offers. 18 of them.
The best deal is a BOGOF. On crisps. There's one BOGOF.

Of course, it's just Sainsburys but I doubt Tesco are doing much different.
They obviously are if Sainsburys only have 18 offers on their website (really?!). There are 3230 offers on the Tesco's grocery site today, which is quite a difference!
Old May 16th 2014, 11:32 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are 3230 offers on the Tesco's grocery site today, which is quite a difference!
I see they have Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney pies (and all the others) for half price.

Old May 16th 2014, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

I've seen that site before. It was way off.

Just checked it again. Still way off.

One bedroom apartment $683 or downtown @ $733

My duplex rents for $640 2 bed and $540 for 1 bed. That's upstairs plus attic and balcony and downstairs plus basement and deck. About 10 minutes walk from downtown and there are plenty of good places for less. I check the paper and kijiji from time to time and most rents are lower than mine.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If I want a quality scallion, a box of camembert or a couple of pounds of raclet. I hop in the car and drive for an hour and a half to the St. Lawrence Market, then I drive back again and eat it. That uses a little over 7 (US) gallons of petrol which has some price I can't calculate but, say, $25. Most people in Canada have to travel further than that so their travel costs would be higher (or equivalent if they have, say, a 2CV fourgonnette and all bloody day to get there).

In the UK a great number of people can propel themselves to Waitrose using shank's pony, a bicycle, or a bus. It doesn't matter that the groceries might be five pee more in the UK if the cost of hacking across the tundra through relentless blizzards to fetch them in Canada exceeds the value of the goods themselves.

In our case the price of food is, anyway, irrelevant. The difference in the price of wine between the two countries would finance dragging wheelbarrow loads of lamb home each week, nevermind considering the price of beer and spirits.
Old May 16th 2014, 2:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dbd33
hacking across the tundra through relentless blizzards

We have a great store just up the road.

In the worst of winter it never feels like it's just up the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.