Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pre existing medical condition

View Poll Results: What was your experience?
Company benefit plan, covered OK. They didnt ask.
74.07%
Company benefit plan, covered OK. But they did ask.
0%
Company benefit plan, coverage refused.
0%
Private personal plan, covered OK. They didnt ask.
3.70%
Private personal plan, covered OK. But they did ask.
3.70%
Private personal plan, coverage refused.
11.11%
No coverage when I came here anyway.
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Pre existing medical condition

Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pre existing medical condition

Originally Posted by iaink
Who is your plan provider, out of "name and shame" curiosity?

Your experience sucks if you ask me... commiserations.

Ive a feeling that my plan in similar circumstances would max out and then a second benefit program would kick in to take up the slack, but you would have to spend several grand on medication to qualify.

We moved to Canada June 2001, hubby started working for a CDN company on June 13th 2001....3 months later Green Shield benefits kicked in, April of 2002 my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, everything was covered no questions asked, sometime in 2006 my hubby's company changed to Great West Life, this is when the issues started, they wanted proof that Matt was covered when he got Diabetes, so had to get a letter of (not sure wot they called it) from Green Shield to prove that he has always had coverage since he was diagnosed......

Last edited by Monique_in_Canada; Jun 15th 2011 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I've just checked with a diabetic collegue here ( diagnosed before she worked here)
no questions , no problems with coverage

this information and the information you have posted in the other thread hardly helps Ribbons unless they get a job at your company!!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Actualy its very helpful seeing as the policy provider I'm with is Great west Life, the one that gave you so many problems.

The thread topic is did you have any trouble with pre existing conditions.

My answer is no and neither did my collegues.

You are saying yes you did.

How is my response any less helpful than yours?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My history is set out on the other thread. I have been covered with GWL with no issues.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Actualy its very helpful seeing as the policy provider I'm with is Great west Life, the one that gave you so many problems.
Me too...

Work benefits were via Canada Life when it was taken over by GWL and there was none of the drama Monique experienced due to the change.

Something seems very wrong about the way Moniques situation has been handled.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 15th 2011 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
this information and the information you have posted in the other thread hardly helps Ribbons unless they get a job at your company!!!
Or virtually any other employer based on the poll results so far....
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Something seems very wrong about the way Moniques situation has been handled.
I can understand it through.

Insurance is about risk management and the Insurance company is entitled to be sure they are taking the right risk for the premiums they charge. The premiums are based on the likelihood of an average person making claims for $x in a year. They are not set for people who are guaranteed to make expensive claims every year.

For example, although they cannot refuse to insure you if you join a company sponsored group scheme when it is first offered to you, they can at a later date. I guess their reasoning is that if someone declined to join the scheme when it was first offered but subsequently wanted in there must be a reason. The most likely reason is that the employee has now got a condition that will give rise to a claim.

My guess this that, in Monique's case, GWL wanted to make sure that the husband's employers had not switched to GWL just so they could get coverage for a condition that was not covered under the previous policy. When they found out that it was covered under the previous policy they accepted the claim as part of the swings and arrows of the insurance business. (Of course, they will also jack up the premiums to his employer to compensate. They are not that generous.)

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 15th 2011 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonboyE
My guess this that, in Monique's case, GWL wanted to make sure that the husband's employers had not switched to GWL just so they could get coverage for a condition that was not covered under the previous policy. When the found out that it was covered under the previous policy they accepted the claim as part of the swings and arrows of the insurance business. (Of course, they will also jack up the premiums to his employer to compensate. They are not that generous.)
Now I'm confused, was his claim refused or not? I got the impession somehow that GWL had refused to cover it upon review?

In the great medical expense lottery I wouldnt have thought that diabetes was the most expensive condition for an insurer to have to deal with, and its hardly uncommon in this nation of lard arses.

Having re read the other thread it appears to have been more of an issue with dealing with the US insurers, rather than the cdn ones.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 15th 2011 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance is about risk management and the Insurance company is entitled to be sure they are taking the right risk for the premiums they charge.
Can you give ICBC a call and tell them this.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm confused, was his claim refused or not? I got the impession somehow that GWL had refused to cover it upon review?

In the great medical expense lottery I wouldnt have thought that diabetes was the most expensive condition for an insurer to have to deal with, and its hardly uncommon in this nation of lard arses.

Having re read the other thread it appears to have been more of an issue with dealing with the US insurers, rather than the cdn ones.
My reading of post # 16 is that it is resolved now. Perhaps Monique can confirm.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

My reading of post # 16 is that it is resolved now. Perhaps Monique can confirm.
there was never really an issue to resolve because of none coverage as we had benefits when Matt took Diabetes, and when the company my hubby worked for changed benefits supplier he was still covered....the issue would have been he would not have been covered if he took diabetes while not having a benefits plan covering him......but having said all this.....and as interesting as it has been, think we have digressed from Ribbons first question.....
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

For an employee program, no , no questions asked at all. As long as you sign up at the start of your eligibility period ( mine was after 6 months).
For example, although they cannot refuse to insure you if you join a company sponsored group scheme when it is first offered to you, they can at a later date. I guess their reasoning is that if someone declined to join the scheme when it was first offered but subsequently wanted in there must be a reason. The most likely reason is that the employee has now got a condition that will give rise to a claim.

My guess this that, in Monique's case, GWL wanted to make sure that the husband's employers had not switched to GWL just so they could get coverage for a condition that was not covered under the previous policy. When they found out that it was covered under the previous policy they accepted the claim as part of the swings and arrows of the insurance business.
We have a very disgruntled employee right now.

When he joined our company, many years ago, he declined the coverage for his family - I don't know why because it didn't cost him anything extra.

Unfortunately his wife became ill - and when he applied for coverage at a later date, the insurance company declined them coverage.

Truly unlucky, his child is also now ill and has also been declined.

Privately, I think his best bet is to leave us and go to a new employer who will not ask any questions. (Vocally, he feels we have failed to provide for his basic human rights.)

Although, of course, they may ask questions to check he didn't just switch for this benefit alone.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

my issues I had were with CDN insurers not US ones, (don't even get me started on US benefits) they question absolutely EVERYTHING!!!

but yes diabetes its a very expensive disease to have.....test strips are $1 each....diabetics should test their blood at least 5 times a day, insulin is $30 a vile, 1,000 units of insulin per vile, 1 unit per 5 grams of carbs....my son uses around 70 units of insulin a day, so one vile per fortnight-ish....but then my son is on the pump....one pump is $5,000 and the supplies for the pump is around $300 a month, BUT Ontario government do give every diabetic $5,000 every 5 years for a new pump and $200 a month for supplies, but before this came into force GWL did pay for everything....but if there was no coverage it would cost around $500 a month
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Can you give ICBC a call and tell them this.
Insurance is about risk management and the Insurance company is entitled to be sure they are taking the right risk for the premiums they charge. Then, in the case of a government monopoly, they load the premiums with an unnamed and undeclared tax.
Better?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
my issues I had were with CDN insurers not US ones, (don't even get me started on US benefits) they question absolutely EVERYTHING!!!

but yes diabetes its a very expensive disease to have.....test strips are $1 each....diabetics should test their blood at least 5 times a day, insulin is $30 a vile, 1,000 units of insulin per vile, 1 unit per 5 grams of carbs....my son uses around 70 units of insulin a day, so one vile per fortnight-ish....but then my son is on the pump....one pump is $5,000 and the supplies for the pump is around $300 a month, BUT Ontario government do give every diabetic $5,000 every 5 years for a new pump and $200 a month for supplies, but before this came into force GWL did pay for everything....but if there was no coverage it would cost around $500 a month
I didnt say it was cheap, but there are more expensive long term problems I suspect, heard disease/ blood pressure meds etc dont come cheap I hear, and far more expensive short term ones if you are unlucky enough to contract something quite rare.

It seems to me that although they said it would be an issue had he first been diagnosed in the UK, there is no actual direct anecdotal personal experience here (based on the poll so far) that anyone from the UK has actually been refused benefits when signing on with an employer plan?

That seems to include people with diabetes and with GWL, so maybe it was just someone trying to scare you or someone who was genuinely misinformed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.