British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Pre existing medical condition (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/pre-existing-medical-condition-721067/)

iaink Jun 15th 2011 4:16 pm

Pre existing medical condition

Just curious about this.. how many people have run into problems with insurance refusals after coming to canada with a medical conditions that the NHS was treating due to its pre existing nature?

Zoe Bell Jun 15th 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Pre existing medical condition

For an employee program, no , no questions asked at all. As long as you sign up at the start of your eligibility period ( mine was after 6 months).

JonboyE Jun 15th 2011 4:35 pm

I agree with Zoe. For a company sponsored group benefits scheme the insurer cannot decline anyone who joins within the time frame of the scheme rules. This is usually within one month of completing your probationary period.

In a pooled scheme the insurer sets the rates based on actuarial models. In an individual company scheme the rates are based on the previous year's claims. The insurer does not lose out. If they take on someone who is sickly and makes lots of claims they just charge the company(ies) more.

Private insurance is completely different and they will routinely decline to cover pre-existing conditions.

Monique_in_Canada Jun 15th 2011 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 9434774)
I agree with Zoe. For a company sponsored group benefits scheme the insurer cannot decline anyone who joins within the time frame of the scheme rules. This is usually within one month of completing your probationary period.

they wont decline you joining.....but just start claiming $100's of dollars a month worth of (in our case) insulin/diabetic supplies then you will get a letter asking when the condition was taken by the person etc!!! cost the insurance company $5 a day just to prick his finger to check his blood sugar!!

Steve&Tanya Jun 15th 2011 5:31 pm

I voted for the company plan, but before I had insurance through my employer we had Blue Cross who also covered my pre-existing condition. I don't think they asked any questions, but we joined that about 4 years ago so don't really remember :o

Zoe Bell Jun 15th 2011 5:33 pm

I've just checked with a diabetic collegue here ( diagnosed before she worked here)
no questions , no problems with coverage

iaink Jun 15th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada (Post 9434819)
they wont decline you joining.....but just start claiming $100's of dollars a month worth of (in our case) insulin/diabetic supplies then you will get a letter asking when the condition was taken by the person etc!!! cost the insurance company $5 a day just to prick his finger to check his blood sugar!!

Who is your plan provider, out of "name and shame" curiosity?

Your experience sucks if you ask me... commiserations.

Ive a feeling that my plan in similar circumstances would max out and then a second benefit program would kick in to take up the slack, but you would have to spend several grand on medication to qualify.

iaink Jun 15th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 9434879)
I've just checked with a diabetic collegue here ( diagnosed before she worked here)
no questions , no problems with coverage

Ah, but was she covered by insurance with someone else when diagnosed, that could be the difference?

Monique_in_Canada Jun 15th 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9434887)
Ah, but was she covered by insurance with someone else when diagnosed, that could be the difference?

thank you.....you're getting it!!!

Novocastrian Jun 15th 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9434887)

Or could the difference be that Monique's husband is covered by a plan from a US employer?

R I C H Jun 15th 2011 5:44 pm

I've a company benefit plan that I've never had any call to use, so I checked the policy wording. There's no mention of pre-existing conditions, nor a list of excluded drugs (Manulife)

iaink Jun 15th 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9434894)
Or could the difference be that Monique's husband is covered by a plan from a US employer?

Think it has to be a canadian insurance carrier to be legal in Canada, but could be wrong?

Presumably there is some level of provincial legislation framework for what insurers can and cant do anyway?

Monique_in_Canada Jun 15th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9434894)

this all happened when he worked in Canada for 7 years.....he has only worked in the US for the last 3....

iaink Jun 15th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 9434899)
I've a company benefit plan that I've never had any call to use, so I checked the policy wording. There's no mention of pre-existing conditions, nor a list of excluded drugs (Manulife)

It almost certainly says something along the lines of drugs must be approved by health canada (at a minimum), no experimental treatments etc etc..

R I C H Jun 15th 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9434911)
It almost certainly says something along the lines of drugs must be approved by health canada (at a minimum), no experimental treatments etc etc..

Sure, just no list of licenced drugs/treatments that won't be accepted if claimed for.