Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR Card processing times......delays

PR Card processing times......delays

Old May 28th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough
Default PR Card processing times......delays

Hey all,

Thought I might advise everyone who has a PR card close to expiry that they may want to sent the renewal application in as early as possible.

I have been very lazy in renewing mine and only sent in the form after it expired. Now (of course) there seems to be a problem at CIC and the cards are taking 137 days to be processed according to the website this morning! They are dealing with applications received up to Feb 1 2010 apparently.

This of course is only for renewals, or those already in Canada who have not previously had a PR card - it says that for new immigrants the wait is 30 days, so not sure what magic wand you newbies have???

Thankfully this will be the last time of renewal for me, I applied for citizenship last month, but need the PR card to take a much needed vacation!!

One more thing - I also renewed my UK passport through the Washington passport office and that took best part of 6 weeks too - but at least you can tell I am not bitter!
Old May 28th 2010, 1:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card processing times......delays

If you have travel booked, you can follow the Urgent processing instructions fopr PR cards - marking the envelope 'Urgent, Proof of travel enclosed' and including a copy of your ticket. I received a PR card renewal in 3 weeks (including the physical collection of the new card from the local CIC office) by doing this.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

nope, not all newbies not getting theres yet either. approaching 2 months since i landed.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:33 pm
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
nope, not all newbies not getting theres yet either. approaching 2 months since i landed.
Me too. Approaching 8 weeks and still no card
Old May 30th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

No special treatment for my newbie husband either, landed March 28th and only got his PR card in mail this week..........30 days my ass..
Old May 30th 2010, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

canadaimmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point

I landed as a new immigrant on Feb 4, 2010 and got my PR card in 3-4 weeks.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

ggbean is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bump up an old thread, I'm just wondering if anyone know why it takes so long for a PR card. According to their site it takes 227 days for the card to be processed ? Has it taken this long for everyone here? I am applying for citizenship too , have lived here since 2000 so am qualified but that wait takes even longer.
Just wondering if this is usually the case or they are just incredibly backed up. ??
My family were offered a free trip to Disneyland next spring, thinking I'll have to turn it down now.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i had to reapply for my wife and childrens as they were never issued one when they landed 1st time...thats was back at the beginning of April still no sign of them plus i had to pay wads of cash for something that was never issued in the first place. yet newbies get theirs straight away
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Aw that sucks, they should at least give you a refund !!. I've contacted federal liberals and NDP to question why its takin so long (not that that will help but its worth a shot), I'm thinking they must be seriously understaffed or extremely slow, either way its ridiculous. I can understand why some cases may take a long time if they've left canada for long periods etc. , though I haven't stepped out of BC for 10 yrs so it should be a straightforward, quick process. I've been a canadian taxpayer for that long too, should at least get some service from the federal goverment, lol
I'm sure I checked earlier in the year it only took a few months.
I just found this story about it http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...elays-584.html

Thanks for your help anways, much appreciated

Will have to check out the rest of this site when I have time.
Gillian
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:48 am
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

We are newbies, landed on Sept. 18 and still have not got ours.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flipance
We are newbies, landed on Sept. 18 and still have not got ours.
I'm sure you will soon, takes 30 days according to the website.
Welcome to Canada !!!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:36 am
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Sent our renewal applications at the end of March so hoping ours will arrive any day now.... it really is taking that long, so apply early.
Lucky we couldn't afford to go anywhere international this summer
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
Sent our renewal applications at the end of March so hoping ours will arrive any day now.... it really is taking that long, so apply early.
Lucky we couldn't afford to go anywhere international this summer
How long is a PR Card valid for? I didn't realise it is like a passport. Is this the case for all PR Cards? If so, how long in advance can you apply for a renewal in order to avoid this sort od situation.

Cheers

Conal
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:33 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

PR cards last five years. Current processing times are posted at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...in.asp#pr_card and are currently 227 days... It was only 80 something days when we applied however so we thought we had plenty of time before our cards expired in August but then the wait time just kept getting longer. Over the summer, presumably when everyone with travel plans were being processed ahead of us, the wait time was increasing by a week every week so no progress was being made on pre summer applications at all!
My parent's cards expire next December - they intend to apply early in the new year
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

onlyme1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mailed application to renew my PR card November 1, 2010 and booked flights for beginning of July 2011 yesterday. Need to get back then for my dad’s 80th birthday party.

Think I am cutting it fine getting my PR card in time, currently processing time 217 days, processing July 15, 2010 applications.

Has anyone else mailed a second application with “Urgent – Travel documents enclosed” lately?

Any idea how long it would take to process an urgent application and when I would be best to mail it?

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but don’t want anything to go wrong, first time that I will be going back in 6 years.

Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.