Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR Card pickup

PR Card pickup

Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:38 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Card pickup

So we applied for. PR cards last October as we were unsure how long citizenship was Guna take.

Anyhow, got citizenship Jan 2 and handed in PR cards. We later called CIC and advised of the above.

Received a letter today dated Jan 23, telling me our PR cards are ready to pick up at St Clair in Toronto in March, and we are to bring a list of proof of out PR status, passports, old passports, wage slips, and other documents used to apply.

Is this usual to ask for all this documentation and a date provided to go get the cards.

If I don't go, after 180 days they destroy them, why Did they even process these? We are citizens now. I emailed them and said I won't be coming in to pick them up thanks as I have no need for PR now.

Last edited by magnumpi; Jan 27th 2014 at 10:53 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: PR Card pickup

Hi Magnumpi,

Congratulations on gaining citizenship. I'm interested in your post as we're waiting for our replacement PR cards (citizenship application is in, but still got 2+ years to go).

When you received the letter about picking up your new PR cards, did they specify a day/time that you had to attend for an appointment in St Clair?

Our new PR cards are being processed through Vancouver. Thanks to BC Ferries, it's a costly expedition to leave Vancouver Island.

Thanks for any info about the process. Our original PR cards were a simple collection from an office on the island. Looks like its all changed since then.

Thanks so much,

Sarah
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:06 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card pickup

That's what I thought, they post Passports so why not PR cards? There must be so many fraudulent applications they feel it nessesary to double check everyone now.

We were given a date, and a time, between 8:45 am and 4pm
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
That's what I thought, they post Passports so why not PR cards? There must be so many fraudulent applications they feel it nessesary to double check everyone now.

They do mail some PR cards, how they decide who gets them mailed and who doesn't I have no clue, but I just renewed mine, and it came in the mail.

Based on their website it appears they only have you come in if they need or want more information regarding your application, as it still says they mail the cards.

"If you have filled out your application properly and meet all the requirements, we will mail your card to you. We will only mail PR cards to residential addresses in Canada."

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 28th 2014 at 7:48 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They do mail some PR cards, how they decide who gets them mailed and who doesn't I have no clue, but I just renewed mine, and it came in the mail.

Based on their website it appears they only have you come in if they need or want more information regarding your application, as it still says they mail the cards.

"If you have filled out your application properly and meet all the requirements, we will mail your card to you. We will only mail PR cards to residential addresses in Canada."
Ok so sounds like they suspicious about my residential status at the PR office, but happy to give me Citizenship at the citizenship office Lol

Just thought it odd that I had to pick these up that was all, even tho I don't even need them anymore as I handed in my PR card on Jan 2
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:29 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Our original PR cards were mailed to us. Then I lost my bloody card. The replacement card had to be collected in person at the CIC offices in Regina.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC, it's illegal to have a PR card if you're a citizen.

The whole PR card thing is totally ridiculous, I'm sure huge numbers of people only renew them because the citizenship application takes so long to process. If they made PR cards valid for ten years like they do in the US, you'd probably never need to renew it unless you want to remain a PR for some reason.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
IIRC, it's illegal to have a PR card if you're a citizen.

The whole PR card thing is totally ridiculous, I'm sure huge numbers of people only renew them because the citizenship application takes so long to process. If they made PR cards valid for ten years like they do in the US, you'd probably never need to renew it unless you want to remain a PR for some reason.
Thats a good point, even six years would probably do it....As for PR while simultaneously being a citizen, that's their screw up, and i have advised them so.

Make me wonder what happens to the PR card that you hand in at the citizenship ceremony? do they sell these online or just send them straight to Nigeria? One thing is for sure, they certanly don't register them as void and return to CIC PR HQ
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: PR Card pickup

Thanks Magnumpi,

It's very useful to hear others experiences.

All the best,

Sarah
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a good point, even six years would probably do it....As for PR while simultaneously being a citizen, that's their screw up, and i have advised them so.
Obviously it's a mix-up and the PR Card is null and void if you are a Canadian citizen. However, you should go to see them and bring evidence of your Canadian citizenship. If nothing else, it will help the staff identify that there may be a problem in the process and ensure your file is closed with the correct annotation.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

noname is an unknown quantity at this point

Make me wonder what happens to the PR card that you hand in at the citizenship ceremony? do they sell these online or just send them straight to Nigeria? One thing is for sure, they certanly don't register them as void and return to CIC PR HQ
Why your reference to Nigeria??? Whats the benefit of sending it there??? Be reasonable with your satire. Not all Nigerian are criminally minded. I'm sure you have lots of criminals where you come from.