PR Card

Old May 3rd 2003, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

aryanaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Card

Hello experts,

Two questions :

1. I will be lending in Canada after Sometimes may 2003. Will I get my PR card in mail or I will have to pick it up from CIC location.

2. Immediately after applying for PR card can I travle out side of the Canada or do I have to wait until I get my PR card in hand. On my passport the Candaian visa says I am allowed only for one entry. If I travel outisde of canada how will I re-enter Canada since I will not have PR in my hand ( let us say it's still under process) while re-entering.

thanks
Old May 4th 2003, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

maja7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Card

Originally posted by aryanaren
Hello experts,

Two questions :

1. I will be lending in Canada after Sometimes may 2003. Will I get my PR card in mail or I will have to pick it up from CIC location.
By mail.

2. Immediately after applying for PR card can I travle out side of the Canada or do I have to wait until I get my PR card in hand. On my passport the Candaian visa says I am allowed only for one entry. If I travel outisde of canada how will I re-enter Canada since I will not have PR in my hand ( let us say it's still under process) while re-entering.

thanks
You will have to wait for the PR card to arrive. You can not re-enter Canada if you don't have the PR card with you.

The only solution could be that a friend in Canada can mail you the PR card when it arrives to wherever you are.
Old May 5th 2003, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: PR Card

Thanks for reply. What are the chances or situations that I may not get a PR card in mail. And if that happens what will be my options. As I will be out of canada so I can only call CIC but can't visit them in person if asked to do so.

Or Can I get a Canadian visitor visa after becoming a PR of Canada and enter into Canada. I guess answer is no.

Any case shed some lights on this.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by maja7
By mail.

You will have to wait for the PR card to arrive. You can not re-enter Canada if you don't have the PR card with you.

The only solution could be that a friend in Canada can mail you the PR card when it arrives to wherever you are.
Old May 5th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

What happens is that during the landing proceedures they take a Canadian residential mailing address for them to send the PR card to. If you have no such address you get 6 months to provide one. If you cannot provide one then you have to reapply for the PR card using the regular forms.

Only new PR's have the opeertunity to have the card mailed to them. All current PR's from before the cards started last June, and future people re-newing the cards etc must apply via the mail in forms, much like applying for a passport. The onyl difference is you *have* to pick up the card in person, basicaly to prevent fraud and make sure that a)you are the person you say you are and b) you are in Canada as you are not allowed to apply for a PR card from outside Canada.

So for you as a new resident the only reason they would not mail it to you is if you failed to provide a Canadian Residential address within 6 months of landing and you were forced to apply by mail.

You can't apply for a visitor visa because you can't be a visitor because you are a permanent resident, just like a citizen can't be a visitor. In fact if you were to manage to enter Canada as a visitor it would probably negate you PR status.

The PR card is a travel document, it is a replacement for the old paper IMM1000 documents that are used to prove your PR status to commercial carriers and immigration. The papers have been replaced by a card for security and anti-fraud, ease of use etc.

An airline will refuse to take you to a country it believes you will be refused entry to, basicaly because they are obliged to pay to remove you from the country. This is why they want to see your passport and any visas to see if you are legally allowed into the country. So they need to see your PR card to prove your PR status so they know you can enter Canada. The visa in the pasport is no good as that is a single entry visa for your first landing, someone who lost PR status would still have that visa.

Now if you come from a country such as the USA,UK,Australia etc it probably wouldn't be a problem as even if you were not a PR you wouldnt need a visa to enter as a Visitor. However once you got to immigration in Canada they would want to see your PR card, although you are allowed to prove you have current PR in other ways it's not very easy and the PR card is inarguable.

So if you are outside Canada without a PR card what you shoudl do is go to the local Canadian EMbassy and apply for a "temporary travel document" which is a single use emergency replacement for a PR card. Similar to if say you lost your passport and had to travel the same day, they issue emergency travel documents.

I got my PR card 4 weeks after landing last month, so if you cannot wait that long your choices are either to provide a friends address in Canada and get them to forward the card to you which is risky as it could get lost. or b) get the temporary travel document.

If you are travelling say to the USA via a private carrier like by car then you don't need the card really as ther eis no commercial carrier to prove your status to, although immigration may still query you.
Old May 14th 2003, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Thanks, Does anyone know that PR card processing is faster in certian areas ( Vancouver VS. Toronto etc..). Or PR cards are processed centrally (from one place) by CIC.

Regards.

Originally posted by wizzard
What happens is that during the landing proceedures they take a Canadian residential mailing address for them to send the PR card to. If you have no such address you get 6 months to provide one. If you cannot provide one then you have to reapply for the PR card using the regular forms.

Only new PR's have the opeertunity to have the card mailed to them. All current PR's from before the cards started last June, and future people re-newing the cards etc must apply via the mail in forms, much like applying for a passport. The onyl difference is you *have* to pick up the card in person, basicaly to prevent fraud and make sure that a)you are the person you say you are and b) you are in Canada as you are not allowed to apply for a PR card from outside Canada.

So for you as a new resident the only reason they would not mail it to you is if you failed to provide a Canadian Residential address within 6 months of landing and you were forced to apply by mail.

You can't apply for a visitor visa because you can't be a visitor because you are a permanent resident, just like a citizen can't be a visitor. In fact if you were to manage to enter Canada as a visitor it would probably negate you PR status.

The PR card is a travel document, it is a replacement for the old paper IMM1000 documents that are used to prove your PR status to commercial carriers and immigration. The papers have been replaced by a card for security and anti-fraud, ease of use etc.

An airline will refuse to take you to a country it believes you will be refused entry to, basicaly because they are obliged to pay to remove you from the country. This is why they want to see your passport and any visas to see if you are legally allowed into the country. So they need to see your PR card to prove your PR status so they know you can enter Canada. The visa in the pasport is no good as that is a single entry visa for your first landing, someone who lost PR status would still have that visa.

Now if you come from a country such as the USA,UK,Australia etc it probably wouldn't be a problem as even if you were not a PR you wouldnt need a visa to enter as a Visitor. However once you got to immigration in Canada they would want to see your PR card, although you are allowed to prove you have current PR in other ways it's not very easy and the PR card is inarguable.

So if you are outside Canada without a PR card what you shoudl do is go to the local Canadian EMbassy and apply for a "temporary travel document" which is a single use emergency replacement for a PR card. Similar to if say you lost your passport and had to travel the same day, they issue emergency travel documents.

I got my PR card 4 weeks after landing last month, so if you cannot wait that long your choices are either to provide a friends address in Canada and get them to forward the card to you which is risky as it could get lost. or b) get the temporary travel document.

If you are travelling say to the USA via a private carrier like by car then you don't need the card really as ther eis no commercial carrier to prove your status to, although immigration may still query you.