Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

PR Application and Education Factor...

PR Application and Education Factor...

Old Mar 4th 2002, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Aitken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Application and Education Factor...

I am currently in Canada on a student authorization pursuing a two-year Masters degree.

Having assessed myself under the new rules, I score 75 if I do not take into consideration the Masters program I am currently undertaking and which should be completed by June 2003.

As the cut off mark is 80 under the new rules and I intend to apply for my PR before my authorization expires (even though I can still apply for a one year EA for work related to my studies after that), my question is this;
Do I wait till I complete my Masters program to be able to qualify for 85 points (the 5 for the Masters degree and additional 5 points for studying full time for 2 years in Canada in the adapatability section)?
or should I still send in my application with a note or included in my CV that I am currently undertaking a two-years Masters degree in Canada to be completed at the aforementioned date and would this be taken into consideration? Would the last option be detrimental or beneficial to my application?

Also having studied (self-financed), lived and adapted (all legally) to the Canadian environment for over 8months, does this come into any consideration during the PR application process?

I want to apply asap as I keep getting this funny feeling about the rules come Jan 2003 considering the fact that I would have well exceeded the cut off point if I had applied prior to Dec. 17, 2001, .

Could anyone (Mr. Miller?) kindly advice as to what my next and best course of action should be?

Many Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2002, 6:05 pm
Andrew Miller

Default Re: PR Application and Education Factor...

As rules are not fully known yet and because in the first phase of implementation a
lot of mistakes may be made I would strongly advise not to apply yet in your
situation. You still have plenty of time to finish your Masters and then additional
year of EA, so you are not in any hurry. Just wait for at least another six months or
so and then ask here or contact me directly for the more informed advice.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am currently in Canada on a student authorization pursuing a two-year
    > Masters degree.
    >
    > Having assessed myself under the new rules, I score 75 if I do not take into
    > consideration the Masters program I am currently undertaking and which should be
    > completed by June 2003.
    >
    > As the cut off mark is 80 under the new rules and I intend to apply for my PR
    > before my authorization expires (even though I can still apply for a one year EA
    > for work related to my studies after that), my question is this; Do I wait till I
    > complete my Masters program to be able to qualify for 85 points (the 5 for the
    > Masters degree and additional 5 points for studying full time for 2 years in
    > Canada in the adapatability section)? or should I still send in my application
    > with a note or included in my CV that I am currently undertaking a two-years
    > Masters degree in Canada to be completed at the aforementioned date and would this
    > be taken into consideration? Would the last option be detrimental or beneficial to
    > my application?
    >
    > Also having studied (self-financed), lived and adapted (all legally) to the
    > Canadian environment for over 8months, does this come into any consideration during
    > the PR application process?
    >
    > I want to apply asap as I keep getting this funny feeling about the rules come Jan
    > 2003 considering the fact that I would have well exceeded the cut off point if I
    > had applied prior to Dec. 17, 2001, .
    >
    > Could anyone (Mr. Miller?) kindly advice as to what my next and best course of
    > action should be?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 4th 2002, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot Mr. Miller, quite relieved and will surely do as advised but I still did not get an answer to the last question;

Having studied (self-financed), lived and adapted (all legally) to the Canadian environment for over 8months (or over 14 months
if I wait 6 months as suggested), with no recourse whatsoever to public funds and in good financial standing over the entire period; does this come into any consideration during the PR application process?

Also I have questions regarding my wife who is also here with me in Canada (legally) and was issued an EA as a
"Spouse of a person with a Student Authorization",
she is pregnant and is due in a few months time. If the baby is born in Canada before I send in my application, can I gain any points for the fact that the baby who will become a Canadian citizen by virtue of being born in Canada is a "relative who is a Canadian citizen and is resident in Canada" and/or the fact I would then be a parent to a Canadian child be of any benefit to the PR application?

On the other side of the coin, could the fact that the baby will be under-aged and would still be listed as my dependant in my PR application nullify this or any benefit whatsoever?

Thank you
Old Mar 4th 2002, 10:35 pm
Andrew Miller

This fact may have (but doesn't have to) some effect on your application when
evaluating your ability to succeed in Canada, but it will not substantially change
anything as you need at least 2 years of full time education or at least 1 year of
authorized employment in Canada to have it counted. Again, rushing with application
now is not a very good idea, wait at least until final rules of the game are known.

Having a child born in Canada will not have any impact on your application, sorry.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks a lot Mr. Miller, quite relieved and will surely do as advised but I still
    > did not get an answer to the last question;
    >
    > Having studied (self-financed), lived and adapted (all legally) to the Canadian
    > environment for over 8months (or over 14 months if I wait 6 months as suggested),
    > with no recourse whatsoever to public funds and in good financial standing over the
    > entire period; does this come into any consideration during the PR application
    > process?
    >
    > Also I have questions regarding my wife who is also here with me in Canada
    > (legally) and was issued an EA as a "Spouse of a person with a Student
    > Authorization", she is pregnant and is due in a few months time. If the baby is
    > born in Canada before I send in my application, can I gain any points for the fact
    > that the baby who will become a Canadian citizen by virtue of being born in Canada
    > is a "relative who is a Canadian citizen and is resident in Canada" and/or the fact
    > I would then be a parent to a Canadian child be of any benefit to the PR
    > application?
    >
    > On the other side of the coin, could the fact that the baby will be under-aged and
    > would still be listed as my dependant in my PR application nullify this or any
    > benefit whatsoever?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 4th 2002, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot