Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential move to Ontario (GP). Advice needed please!

Potential move to Ontario (GP). Advice needed please!

Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move to Ontario (GP). Advice needed please!

Originally Posted by Gifted
Also she finds it hard to compare the schooling of the two countries as she doesnt know much about schools in the UK.
I don't follow this at all. My children took the ib program and so their progress was directly comparable to that of the children of colleagues in the UK, the US and India (I suppose other countries too, had I known people living in other countries who were in a comparable situation at the time).
Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Crouchinghaggis,
thats true, every one I have asked have advised to visit my potential workplace first. But with winter pressure here, and being a mum of school going children, it doesnt help.
I am lucky to have a job offer where my sister lives.she has guided me a lot about the town itself etc, but she is not a doctor. And therefore cannot comment on what my work load vs my income would be. Being a mum I am not keen to work more than I am at the moment aInd can live peacefully on my present income. I would like to work the same for probably a little more (every little helps).This is what I am not getting answers to.will I have to work more for the same income.
Also she finds it hard to compare the schooling of the two countries as she doesnt know much about schools in the UK.
I would highly appreciate you sharing me your researches and experiences.
by the way how long dies the visa procedure take....
thank you once again.
Does your sister know the practice in which you have been offered a job? Woukd she want to be a patient there?
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Gifted is an unknown quantity at this point

Bats no my sister doesn't know about the practice but is visiting next week to have a look
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Crouchinghaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Crouchinghaggis,
thats true, every one I have asked have advised to visit my potential workplace first. But with winter pressure here, and being a mum of school going children, it doesnt help.
I am lucky to have a job offer where my sister lives.she has guided me a lot about the town itself etc, but she is not a doctor. And therefore cannot comment on what my work load vs my income would be. Being a mum I am not keen to work more than I am at the moment aInd can live peacefully on my present income. I would like to work the same for probably a little more (every little helps).This is what I am not getting answers to.will I have to work more for the same income.
I would highly appreciate you sharing me your researches and experiences.
by the way how long dies the visa procedure take....
thank you once again.
My research has mostly been limited to Alberta. Because I qualified before the MRCGP was essential, I have had to sit further exams to be accepted by the college of physicians and essentially Alberta was the place that required the least in extra exams.
I visited a variety of practices all across Alberta in the summer - urban, rural and semi-rural. Frankly I would have been happy working in any of them and it felt great to be able to choose the job and area that suited me and my family the best.
As regards income there is no doubt that GPs, in Alberta at any rate, are earning several times more than a British GP earns - they looked at me with pity when I told them about my salary in the UK.
The income reflects the amount of work done - as it is fee for service - so essentially you choose how much you want to earn but I found that urban GPs doing no out of hours work and a similar work load to British GPs were very well rewarded.
If you chose to do some extra 'emergency room' work then that is paid extremely well.
If you want I can let you know the kind of figures involved.

The work permit process is very painfully slow though and the most soul-destroying part of the move. I visited Alberta in August and immediately accepted a position. At that point Alberta Health Services drew up a formal offer to open a practice. When I had signed that they applied for a labour market opinion and formal contracts. This took several months and I finally had all the documents I needed at the start of November.
I applied for my Temporary work permit on the second of November and was asked to go for a medical almost straight away.
I had the medical done and now I'm just sitting waiting to hear whether my application has been succesful.
I hope that all helps. I could go on about it all Ad-nauseam because it does take over your entire life but having been to Canada now I can confidently say that it will be worth it.
Crouchinghaggis
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Crouchinghaggis
This took several months and I finally had all the documents I needed at the start of November.
I applied for my Temporary work permit on the second of November and was asked to go for a medical almost straight away.
I had the medical done and now I'm just sitting waiting to hear whether my application has been succesful.
Just a quick question, did you apply driectly to the London office or online? I am also waiting for a TWP with medical
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:11 am
Just Joined

I applied on-line.
They were so quick asking me to go for a medical I got my hopes up for a quick decision - very silly of me!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied on-line.
They were so quick asking me to go for a medical I got my hopes up for a quick decision - very silly of me!
Very silly lol, this process has been a lesson in patience! everything has taken longer than expected. Hopefully it means they're being thourough a girl can hope.

Have you seen any changes on your application when you log on to GCKey? I did my medical before application, not sure if it will speed up the process.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:34 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ours with a medical took about 10 weeks in total. I think they did get a please hurry along by HFO as we needed to get work permit to the Royal college by certain date!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amtobi
Very silly lol, this process has been a lesson in patience! everything has taken longer than expected. Hopefully it means they're being thourough a girl can hope.

Have you seen any changes on your application when you log on to GCKey? I did my medical before application, not sure if it will speed up the process.
I haven't seen any changes when I log on with my GCkey.
I was starting to get worried about that because it still states that my action was required but I have been reassured by other forum members that this is quite normal.

10 weeks in total for a decision sounds okay though. I could live with that.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

thank you for sharing your experience.the reason I raised concern about income was because I have been told that an FP gets $35/-per pt,and when I calculated it to 6 sessions (this is what I would want to do) deducting the overheads etc,it was coming to less than what I am earning at the moment. Have you actually seen account figures of your colleagues in Alberta or have you done any rough calculations...
I really appreciate your input.
My research has mostly been limited to Alberta. Because I qualified before the MRCGP was essential, I have had to sit further exams to be accepted by the college of physicians and essentially Alberta was the place that required the least in extra exams.
I visited a variety of practices all across Alberta in the summer - urban, rural and semi-rural. Frankly I would have been happy working in any of them and it felt great to be able to choose the job and area that suited me and my family the best.
As regards income there is no doubt that GPs, in Alberta at any rate, are earning several times more than a British GP earns - they looked at me with pity when I told them about my salary in the UK.
The income reflects the amount of work done - as it is fee for service - so essentially you choose how much you want to earn but I found that urban GPs doing no out of hours work and a similar work load to British GPs were very well rewarded.
If you chose to do some extra 'emergency room' work then that is paid extremely well.
If you want I can let you know the kind of figures involved.

The work permit process is very painfully slow though and the most soul-destroying part of the move. I visited Alberta in August and immediately accepted a position. At that point Alberta Health Services drew up a formal offer to open a practice. When I had signed that they applied for a labour market opinion and formal contracts. This took several months and I finally had all the documents I needed at the start of November.
I hope that all helps. I could go on about it all Ad-nauseam because it does take over your entire life but having been to Canada now I can confidently say that it will be worth it.
Crouchinghaggis
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Surely the job offer has given you a guide to potential income? I think the short answer is yes, you should be able to earn more in Canada than in the UK on your current hours.

Schooling, whilst I'm not sure how individual schools stack up in Ontario against each other then at the very least the UK has had a damming indictment of its standard recently, coming in very badly against Canada.

I think unless you try something you will never really know! Whereabouts in GTA are you headed?

Edited to add....have you started the "visa" process and certification from RCPSO?
The income they show is pre tax and pre overheads.theoverheads are about 30% and taxes between20-40%. So basically the take home pay is 40% of what they tell us.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Ontario billings but I'm guessing it's similar to BC. Your basic "visit" is just that- basic- almost certainly you can often bill differently or extra
eg pap and sore throat= visit and 1/2 pap fee or other way round. We also have counselling fees, fees for physicals, cryo, minor surgery etc
A huge amount of income comes from chronic disease management, for us this makes a huge difference.
Also your thinking re "wage" is too simplistic. Most FPs incorporate,money goes into that, overheads are put against tax. ( FYI our overheads vary but are in the 20% range) You either pay yourself a wage or dividends, that's taxed at the going personal rate, what's left in the DrCo gets taxed at business rates- very low- 11 or 13 % ish . All business expenses are put against tax.
I was PT in UK- salaried- I work 4 days here- I earn about 10x my UK income but work a lot more.
OH worked at a very high earning practice in UK- 4 days a week but with regular OOH- he also works 4 days here- no OOH-I would say he earns about 50 % more here but works harder overall- a lot more work at home.
Only negative is the lack of NHS superannuation
We were taxed a very high tax rate in the UK so overall, much , much better.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:24 am
Just Joined

thank you for sharing your experience.the reason I raised concern about income was because I have been told that an FP gets $35/-per pt,and when I calculated it to 6 sessions (this is what I would want to do) deducting the overheads etc,it was coming to less than what I am earning at the moment. Have you actually seen account figures of your colleagues in Alberta or have you done any rough calculations...
I really appreciate your input.
Snoopdawg sums it up very well. You bill for all the various interventions that you might perform with patients.
Whilst I have been speaking to various practices they have been very quick to show me their accounts and explain the ways that they maximise income.
I would imagine the practice you are considering joining would be happy to do the same.
Have you had much opportunity to speak to them about what to expect re workload and 'the bottom line'?

I don't think there is much doubt that you are likely to earn more in Canada. I think you just need to be sure that you are moving to the right place and will be working with people that you feel comfortable with.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

thank you snoopdawg and crouching haggis I am expected to pay 30% over head which includes a medical assistant but can cut down to 20%if I don't need one. I am expected to see 4 pts /hour 8 hours a day 3days a week.snoopdawg you mentioned that you are working more in canada or I have understood wrong...I got that your OH is working more at home..
Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I don't know Ontario billings but I'm guessing it's similar to BC. Your basic "visit" is just that- basic- almost certainly you can often bill differently or extra
eg pap and sore throat= visit and 1/2 pap fee or other way round. We also have counselling fees, fees for physicals, cryo, minor surgery etc
A huge amount of income comes from chronic disease management, for us this makes a huge difference.
Also your thinking re "wage" is too simplistic. Most FPs incorporate,money goes into that, overheads are put against tax. ( FYI our overheads vary but are in the 20% range) You either pay yourself a wage or dividends, that's taxed at the going personal rate, what's left in the DrCo gets taxed at business rates- very low- 11 or 13 % ish . All business expenses are put against tax.
I was PT in UK- salaried- I work 4 days here- I earn about 10x my UK income but work a lot more.
OH worked at a very high earning practice in UK- 4 days a week but with regular OOH- he also works 4 days here- no OOH-I would say he earns about 50 % more here but works harder overall- a lot more work at home.
Only negative is the lack of NHS superannuation
We were taxed a very high tax rate in the UK so overall, much , much better.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You need an MOA- everyone needs an MOA!! They do everything for you- answer phones, make appointments, file paper, put patients in rooms, dip urine, etc, etc. I could not survive without one ! It would be a false economy-your earnings will be much higher with one- I just don't see how anyone could work without one.
Numbers-wise, - initially 4 an hour may be ok whilst you get used to billing, different drugs, dosages, how to do everything you thought you knew how to do!!! Order CXRs, US etc!!
But after that, you'll be able to put in some fit ins, quick meds refills etc. You'll need them as some appointments take up more time- cutting down your 4 an hour, eg physicals.
I personally think for 8 hours a day 30-35 are good numbers for you and your patients.
We both work harder, hard to put a finger on why!
BTW who is "expecting" you to work the stated hours/numbers? Surely you are your own boss!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.