Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential move to Ontario (GP). Advice needed please!

Potential move to Ontario (GP). Advice needed please!

Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Gifted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential move to Ontario (GP). Advice needed please!

Thanks every one,
Siouxue, I have read the first link but the second link is showing an error.
Could you possibly resend it,
Ta
Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gifted
Thanks every one,
Siouxue, I have read the first link but the second link is showing an error.
Could you possibly resend it,
Ta
It's part of the same thread as the 1st link - page 7, post #96.

Old Dec 12th 2013, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Only one life. You gotta live it - jump off the fence & you'll never have any regrets. Even if you decide that Canada is not for you, at least you tried it out.

Muskoka - is oh soooooo snowy. Friends who live 30km from Bracebridge got snowed in yesterday - couldnt get out to work, so they took great joy is showing me the snow via skype. I am sooooo tempted to pop over for New Year Toboganning and snowmobiling New Years Eve - just doesn't get any better than that
Old Dec 12th 2013, 6:59 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Hello every one,
I am new to this forum and have found it quite useful.i have read all 5 pages in this thread and am really impressed with some of the members who are very patiently answering questions since March 2012.
My question is slightly different. I looked in to working in Ontario and started the procedure. Now I have a job offer and have got confused whether I should make the move.
For those who have relocated, are you happy with your decision.
Are FPs paid more for the same amount of work than GPs.
Is work load less or only different to the UK
for those who have children,are your children happy and settled in their schools?
Thanks you all for your input. It makes us feel we are not alone.
Gifted.

OP...welcome to the forum, obviously being a GP (licence to print wonga), you can expect "loads a money"

It's no suprise that you have managed to secure work, as Ontario is crying out for Docs, and some of the ones trained here, are going stateside for a better pay.

Don't just focus on the big smoke of Toronto....look further along the 401 east or SW. Heck there is a even a new big hospital in Thunder Bay or is it North Bay?

Be prepared to hear that you lot get all the glory, and the ones doing the actual work, are badly paid...there is a thread on that here. I guess it's your fault that some people didn't go to medical school
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

So shall I come to Canada ....or wait for NHS to get better.........
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So shall I come to Canada ....or wait for NHS to get better.........
... (that was a joke, right?)

Its said that God loves an optimist....

Worst case if Canada isnt for you, cant you just go back?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your advice. Makes me feel opitimistic.
yes I can return if (God forbid) if all doesnt go well.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Crouchinghaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gifted. Similar to you I'm a UK GP heading to Canada. I have a job lined up in Alberta and should be moving out there in the next couple of months if all goes to plan.
I would say that doing a visit is a real must.
I found it massively reassuring when I went across job hunting. I toured a few towns and was able to speak to a lot of British and South African Docs who had made the move and had pretty much universally great things to say about it.
I did end up choosing a town to live in that I would not have gone to had I been making the decision from the UK based on Google searches!
The quality of life in comparison to UK GPs is really fantastic and my family are really looking forward to making the move.
Just waiting for our work permit to be confirmed now - a painfully slow process.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My childrens' school (in Toronto, at College and Jarvis) had only a car park, for sport they took the TTC bus to the ice rink at Moss Park. I don't think schools in Canada need grass as sport seems to consist only of ice hockey.

I thought of you this morning tirytory (well, the virtual you). A colleague remarked "I'm glad I don't live in Muskoka, they're to get nearly two feet more snow before the weekend". There's six inches or so on the ground now. Arriving in winter will be, er, challenging.
Muskoka is awesome...although the snow is a bitch. I really miss it there. Small towns, beautiful area. The week I left, back in 2008, that Friday, in Huntsville, they got what I seem to recall was over 60 centimeters of snow. That was followed the next day by somewhere around 80. So yes, damn snow.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Ha ha too true. Bit worried about the driving aspect. But the child in me is delighted at the moment, and I'm keeping a geeky big brother eye on the webcams of Bracebridge on snow watch.....I surely have other things to do!!. The school secretary has just sent me pics of her snowy back garden, she's like my nbf she's been so helpful and nice!

Siouxie is ever helpful and pointed out my thread where I fully vented my fears. I am pleased to say though for the time being I've had no further doubts and I'm sure we've made the right decision to go. I'd go as far to say I'm terribly excited. Obviously we don't know how the work thing will pan out, so maybe you will get some doctors answer you, give us a few months and probably we'll know a little more.
Bracebridge is a lovely little town. If you are the outdoors type, plenty of lakes around the area and a lot of winter activities if you care to venture out. The summer is beautiful there. I lived about 10 minutes North of there, in Huntsville, another lovely little town.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
OP...welcome to the forum, obviously being a GP (licence to print wonga), you can expect "loads a money"

It's no suprise that you have managed to secure work, as Ontario is crying out for Docs, and some of the ones trained here, are going stateside for a better pay.

Don't just focus on the big smoke of Toronto....look further along the 401 east or SW. Heck there is a even a new big hospital in Thunder Bay or is it North Bay?

Be prepared to hear that you lot get all the glory, and the ones doing the actual work, are badly paid...there is a thread on that here. I guess it's your fault that some people didn't go to medical school
GOOD GOD don't send them to Thunder Bay. Talk about being in nowhere.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wouldn't be. We're south of there but living rurally in a reasonably snowy area and whiz along fine in a Beetle. VWs seem to be the commuting vehicle of choice, presumably because they come in diesel versions. The worst problem is visibility, if it's snowing and dark you can't see where you're going, but that's the same as fog which you'll have experienced.

What I would be concerned about is the clearance aspect. Initially I'd be tempted to move to an apartment or townhouse complex. Failing that, a house with no driveway.
Good set of 4 snow tires and getting around is a breeze. The people who drive without them have all the trouble. Just putting snows on the front is a no no, yet a lot of people do, which makes the arse end fishtail in slick weather if you have to maneuver quickly. To be honest, I rarely saw a VW there, in comparison to numerous other models, in almost 12 years.

Last edited by dakota44; Dec 15th 2013 at 4:18 am.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Crouchinghaggis
Hi Gifted. Similar to you I'm a UK GP heading to Canada. I have a job lined up in Alberta and should be moving out there in the next couple of months if all goes to plan.
I would say that doing a visit is a real must.
I found it massively reassuring when I went across job hunting. I toured a few towns and was able to speak to a lot of British and South African Docs who had made the move and had pretty much universally great things to say about it.
I did end up choosing a town to live in that I would not have gone to had I been making the decision from the UK based on Google searches!
The quality of life in comparison to UK GPs is really fantastic and my family are really looking forward to making the move.
Just waiting for our work permit to be confirmed now - a painfully slow process.
Thank you Crouchinghaggis,
thats true, every one I have asked have advised to visit my potential workplace first. But with winter pressure here, and being a mum of school going children, it doesnt help.
I am lucky to have a job offer where my sister lives.she has guided me a lot about the town itself etc, but she is not a doctor. And therefore cannot comment on what my work load vs my income would be. Being a mum I am not keen to work more than I am at the moment aInd can live peacefully on my present income. I would like to work the same for probably a little more (every little helps).This is what I am not getting answers to.will I have to work more for the same income.
Also she finds it hard to compare the schooling of the two countries as she doesnt know much about schools in the UK.
I would highly appreciate you sharing me your researches and experiences.
by the way how long dies the visa procedure take....
thank you once again.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the job offer has given you a guide to potential income? I think the short answer is yes, you should be able to earn more in Canada than in the UK on your current hours.

Schooling, whilst I'm not sure how individual schools stack up in Ontario against each other then at the very least the UK has had a damming indictment of its standard recently, coming in very badly against Canada.

I think unless you try something you will never really know! Whereabouts in GTA are you headed?

Edited to add....have you started the "visa" process and certification from RCPSO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.