Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential Move

Potential Move

Old Nov 16th 2016, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move

Not saying a P.Eng is not an important thing to have and does not help career prospects.

more pointing out that the weight of importance is very dependent on the industry.

No reason the OP cant pursue and be successful in getting a P.Eng eventually.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
Not saying a P.Eng is not an important thing to have and does not help career prospects.

more pointing out that the weight of importance is very dependent on the industry.

No reason the OP cant pursue and be successful in getting a P.Eng eventually.
agreed, it is just important to have salary expectations which are in line with this.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again everyone for all of the information. We've had to apply for a new Passport for my other half in order to apply for IELTS tests hopefully in January. The next step then in a two week trip to Canada in August
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts
thanks again everyone for all of the information. We've had to apply for a new Passport for my other half in order to apply for IELTS tests hopefully in January. The next step then in a two week trip to Canada in August
If you are planning on coming over on an IEC and/or not applying for PR for a year or two, I would wait to do the IELTS as they are only valid for 2 years.

Old Nov 19th 2016, 8:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Be prepared to do a lot of paperwork and some exams to be registered as a licensed Mechanical Engineer in Canada...your British qualifications are basically useless right off the bat

Also, I've found engineering as a "live to work" industry in Canada, as you'll be able to see if you search my posts, for someone starting on the bottom rung of the ladder (as you probably would be) you'll get basic holidays (10 days + bank hols) and little in the way of benefits unless you get really lucky

Now that i've outlined the negatives, I'll let one of the people who've had a positive experience of the engineering industry in Canada come and weigh in
Haggis88 @ post #2

plus the fact that the OP (should he get into Canada) would be competing for work against home grown & educated engineering graduates, experienced & unemployed.

Imagine a home grown Canadian at 23 with a degree going to the UK looking to be hired competing against a Brit graduate. Who would you hire?

The OP at 23 at the time he hopes to get to Canada, with a trades background + a B.Eng, fresh off the boat, what are the chances of securing an Engineering position in Canada (anywhere especially Alberta, never mind the East coast) with an expectation of earning minimum $50k/yr, then having all the expenses to pay out?

Would the OP be better off applying under trades & writing the 'Red Seal' exam?

Originally Posted by jproberts
My bachelors degree is only equal to my training as an apprentice as far as the immigration questionnaire is concerned but I'm hoping it'll help with progressing in my career in 10 years time etc
Would you mind sharing with us what ALL of the technical/trade/engineering qualifications it is that you have?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 19th 2016 at 9:17 pm.