Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potential Move

Potential Move

Old Nov 10th 2016, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Potential Move

Hi there, i'm sure you guys are bored of questions from people like myself but I find forums are much more useful than just trying to get answers from google.

My-self and my partner are both 21 years of age, I am a mechanical engineer and by the time we plan to emigrate in 1.5 years (we have a wedding to pay for first) I will also have a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering.
My partner has a degree in photographic art but has since been working as a service adviser for a main car dealership. She's happy to continue with her career as a service adviser or finally put her photography degree to good use.

I realize that this varies massively but i've seen a few salary estimates online for both of our jobs. However, we were hoping that someone has more experience. Currently we're looking at the best areas / types of houses that we'd like to live in. We currently live in the countryside in South Wales so would like to stick to a rural location. What sort of budget should we be looking at with the above jobs and where do you get the most house for your money in Canada? Some of the houses in Nova Scotia seem to be crazily cheap compared to elsewhere in Canada? Is there a reason for this? are the wages lower there?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jack
Old Nov 10th 2016, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move

Be prepared to do a lot of paperwork and some exams to be registered as a licensed Mechanical Engineer in Canada...your British qualifications are basically useless right off the bat

Also, I've found engineering as a "live to work" industry in Canada, as you'll be able to see if you search my posts, for someone starting on the bottom rung of the ladder (as you probably would be) you'll get basic holidays (10 days + bank hols) and little in the way of benefits unless you get really lucky

Now that i've outlined the negatives, I'll let one of the people who've had a positive experience of the engineering industry in Canada come and weigh in
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Be prepared to do a lot of paperwork and some exams to be registered as a licensed Mechanical Engineer in Canada...your British qualifications are basically useless right off the bat
It is really not the case most British Engineering degrees are recognized through the Washington accord if you are graduating BENG Hon or MENG in a recognized subject you should have no issues.

there is a big difference between the engineering industry being on the tools actually building or fixing something and being an engineer and by that i mean job and role not one being any better than the other.

most engineers work on the consulting side vacation is at least 15 days plus 10 stats for 25 total and usually come with great benefits.

There is a definite correlation between low wages and low house prices in certain areas its finding the best balance and i wish you luck with that.

In all reality though it will be tough to find a job and get an lmia. do you have enough points to qualify through EE without a job offer? you will most likely need to take a job wherever you get offered one and can get a lmia. This will be tough as a new grad with no experience.

another route is to get an IEC and try to get a job that way.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

jproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond reputejproberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
In all reality though it will be tough to find a job and get an lmia. do you have enough points to qualify through EE without a job offer? you will most likely need to take a job wherever you get offered one and can get a lmia. This will be tough as a new grad with no experience.

another route is to get an IEC and try to get a job that way.

Sorry to sound like an idiot but what is imia? I'm not a new grad as such as I've finished a 4 year apprenticeship and will have 3 years experience after my apprenticeship when we move. My degree was done part time after finishing my apprenticeship so I do have working experience.

The trouble with an IEC is that I'm living with my fiancée and our dog so moving over temporarily isn't realistic. I'd need a job in place before moving over really. I work for a huge international company which have a few places in Canada so I may explore my options regarding a transfer of some sort.

Last edited by jproberts; Nov 11th 2016 at 12:11 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.immigration.ca/en/mechanical-engineers.html

This is one of the articles which I've already found. I would match all of the criteria listed. Is the salary shown accurate? I earn equivalent to around 70,000Canadian dollars at the minute but obviously the cost of living etc is different
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts
I earn equivalent to around 70,000Canadian dollars at the minute but obviously the cost of living etc is different
Actually, it's usually not. Some things are cheaper in Canada, but others are more expensive, so the general consensus is that it's about the same cost of living as in the UK, or that Canada is possibly a bit more (depending on where you are).

HTH.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh ok great so the 106,000 mentioned on the immigration website would actually be a great wage compared to mine now. We wouldn't move unless we had enough money to support a better lifestyle than here in the U.K. So that is promising news. Thanks for the reply
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88

Also, I've found engineering as a "live to work" industry in Canada, as you'll be able to see if you search my posts, for someone starting on the bottom rung of the ladder (as you probably would be) you'll get basic holidays (10 days + bank hols) and little in the way of benefits unless you get really lucky

Now that i've outlined the negatives, I'll let one of the people who've had a positive experience of the engineering industry in Canada come and weigh in
Like many other professions, whether you are in a 'live to work' role really depends on the company / industry where you get employment.

If you are working for one of the automotive manufacturers or Tier 1 suppliers to the auto industry in Ontario (one of the bigger sectors that hire mechanical engineers in Ontario), definitely expect to work significant hours. The Employment Standards Act in Ontario caps the amount of hours at 60/week, with provisions about minimum time off between shifts etc. There is at least one auto manufacturer in Ontario who will actually tell you repeatedly during the interview process that their engineers will work 60 hour weeks, every single week. The positive side is that these positions are usually compensated very well, and that every hour of overtime is paid, along with higher than normal amounts of vacation time, and better benefits.

If, on the other hand, you land a job outside of the automotive industry, you'll find that while there may be some days you have to spend some overtime hours on particular projects, that it isn't the norm. A number of industries in sectors that are growing slowly have taken cost reduction measures that include elimination of overtime pay. Since you're not being paid, managers often (but not always) don't really expect people to put in significant overtime. These positions won't pay quite as much as some of the automotive roles (at least initially) but will give you a better opportunity to better adapt (and either spend more time to enjoy or to whinge) to living in a different country
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jproberts
Ahh ok great so the 106,000 mentioned on the immigration website would actually be a great wage compared to mine now. We wouldn't move unless we had enough money to support a better lifestyle than here in the U.K. So that is promising news. Thanks for the reply
As always, lifestyle as related to income will depend on where you eventually settle - $70,000 Cdn total household income could be challenging in places like metro Vancouver, but will be quite comfortable to live in other parts of the country.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:30 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
As always, lifestyle as related to income will depend on where you eventually settle - $70,000 Cdn total household income could be challenging in places like metro Vancouver,
But some of us that earn just over half of that manage in Metro Vancouver...

Lifestyle is an important factor though
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Getting very excited now that it seems feasible. We're trying to book a few weeks travelling Canada at the start of next year before we really put the wheels in motion. Pleasantly surprised at the price which flights can be had for aswell!

Also we'd both prefer to live in a small town / rural location so hopefully we'd get more for our money on the property ladder and we're happy deal with the longer commutes that this would probably cause

Thanks again guys, it's so refreshing hearing actual people's opinions compared to trawling through google searches for hours on end.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of mech engineering do you do now industry/role. what kind of engineering/role do you want to do in canada?

wages are very dependent on the role and industry
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

At the moment I work for an aerospace and munitions company. My apprenticeship was as a mechanical fitter however my job role is now as a proper mechanical engineer along side studying Beng (Hons) in mechanical engineering with a emphasis on design and sustainability.

When I say 'proper mechanical engineer' I mean office based planning installations and writing maintenance standards, developing SOP's and MI's etc
Old Nov 12th 2016, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

At your age you'd be eligible for an IEC, which would give you a 2 year work permit to see how you like Canada/what jobs you might get.

A recce visit is a great idea.

Last edited by Shirtback; Nov 12th 2016 at 3:58 pm. Reason: Reread Original post properly.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
At your age you'd be eligible for an IEC, which would give you a 2 year work permit to see how you like Canada/what jobs you might get.

A recce visit is a great idea.
I should finish my degree at the end of 2018, we'd be looking to move immediately after I graduate. a 2 year work permit sounds great but I have my Fiancee to consider aswell. We're definately planning a recce visit (as our honeymoon next year)

Last edited by jproberts; Nov 12th 2016 at 4:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.