Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:22 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.
halftheworldaway is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:26 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: South Wales now Sherwood Park.
Posts: 88
JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by neilt View Post
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.

We are going ahead, have decided to rent our house out for a year or so and see what the market is like then. It's not something we really want to do but we also don't want to put it all on hold. I suppose if it all goes wrong at least we will still have a home here.
JoolsGod is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
  #3  
KJM
BE Enthusiast
 
KJM's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: West Sussex - Calgary
Posts: 722
KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by neilt View Post
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.
I'm going mid Jan, personally i think you should sell your house then consider if it is the right time to go.

K

Last edited by KJM; Dec 14th 2008 at 9:32 pm.
KJM is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by neilt View Post
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.
Hi Neilt, we haven't postponed it as such but will like lots not be able to go until the house is sold and only if we get enough money from it.

Sorry to hear your house won't sell, have you tried ?
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:28 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
seanyg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Northants (though hopefully not forever!)
Posts: 636
seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

We're trying to forget about it at the moment, to be honest. Not through lack of enthusiasm or change of heart, but for purely financial reasons. Like yourselves, we can't afford to drop the price on our house (it's £20k higher than similar houses in our area and that's where it'll stay till the market picks up!) so we're hoping our application process takes longer than anticipated. Ironically, we went on the pnp to get there quicker, but now we have our pnp nomination we're delaying submitting our application until the deadline (next April) so, assuming we get our meds done next summer (that's allowing CHC a few months to process our pnp) we'll have to land by summer 2010, go through immigration, maybe have a 2nd recce (having paid all that money for flights), then fly back and return to our UK lives until the housing market over here picks up.

Nightmare isn't it? I get so mad when I think about it, :curse: I'm just trying to concentrate on other things at the mo to take my mind off it (like trying to think of baby names!).

Anita
seanyg is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:29 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: West Lothian
Posts: 685
G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by neilt View Post
I'm interested to find out if anyone has postponed their move to Canada because of the Credit crunch / Recession or are people continuing with the move.

Personally I think I'll have to put it on hold as I doubt I could sell my house at the moment.
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.
G586 is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:32 pm
  #7  
Logical & Hot Stuff
 
FlirtyKnickers's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario's Armpit
Posts: 19,815
FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by seanyg View Post
We're trying to forget about it at the moment, to be honest. Not through lack of enthusiasm or change of heart, but for purely financial reasons. Like yourselves, we can't afford to drop the price on our house (it's £20k higher than similar houses in our area and that's where it'll stay till the market picks up!) so we're hoping our application process takes longer than anticipated. Ironically, we went on the pnp to get there quicker, but now we have our pnp nomination we're delaying submitting our application until the deadline (next April) so, assuming we get our meds done next summer (that's allowing CHC a few months to process our pnp) we'll have to land by summer 2010, go through immigration, maybe have a 2nd recce (having paid all that money for flights), then fly back and return to our UK lives until the housing market over here picks up.

Nightmare isn't it? I get so mad when I think about it, :curse: I'm just trying to concentrate on other things at the mo to take my mind off it (like trying to think of baby names!).

Anita

Hi Anita....tonnes here in the same boat....bloody credit crunch

We're landing in a few days time...got our PR and then need to come back and sell the house....thought about dropping the price again but to be honest, i don't want to....my house is worth what it's valued at...we shall see how long i can stick being here and not there!!!
FlirtyKnickers is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:33 pm
  #8  
Logical & Hot Stuff
 
FlirtyKnickers's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario's Armpit
Posts: 19,815
FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by G586 View Post
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.
Sorry to hear that G586....will you apply again in the future???
FlirtyKnickers is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:36 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by G586 View Post
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.
So sorry to hear this i hope you can do it still one day,
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:42 pm
  #10  
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 407
tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

We are going regardless. The house is on the market, currently £10K less than all the others in the area but we still can't sell. We will rent it out if necessary.

God knows how we are going to cobble the money together. We are taking the minimum so we pay less shipping - so we aren't taking the cabinets or the dining room furniture or kitchen table. We will sell the cars, the few shares we had are virtually worthless now but they will go. We will do without everything when we are there until we can afford to buy new. I hope that whereever we rent has a washing machine, if not I'll be going to my brothers a lot to start off with.

We considered putting it off but both sets of our parents are getting older (one of my inlaws had a very bad fall last week and landed in hospital) and the kids are getting independent and we feel that if we don't go now we will miss our window of opportunity as awful as that may sound.
tinytears is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:43 pm
  #11  
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 407
tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by G586 View Post
We were relying on money that we had in shares, picked the wrong shares and lost a packet, can't sell our property and won't be in a position to move within timescale for fulfilling residency obligations so we withdrew just as we got med requests.

My OH has a very specialised job so without capital, we were stuffed as there is no equivalent in Canada so we would have needed time/cash to do something else.
What a shame. I hope you find a way to get there eventually.
tinytears is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:45 pm
  #12  
Logical & Hot Stuff
 
FlirtyKnickers's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario's Armpit
Posts: 19,815
FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by tinytears View Post
We are going regardless. The house is on the market, currently £10K less than all the others in the area but we still can't sell. We will rent it out if necessary.

God knows how we are going to cobble the money together. We are taking the minimum so we pay less shipping - so we aren't taking the cabinets or the dining room furniture or kitchen table. We will sell the cars, the few shares we had are virtually worthless now but they will go. We will do without everything when we are there until we can afford to buy new. I hope that whereever we rent has a washing machine, if not I'll be going to my brothers a lot to start off with.

We considered putting it off but both sets of our parents are getting older (one of my inlaws had a very bad fall last week and landed in hospital) and the kids are getting independent and we feel that if we don't go now we will miss our window of opportunity as awful as that may sound.
You have to do whats right for you hun.....Good Luck with your move.
FlirtyKnickers is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:46 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by Coffeepot View Post
Hi Neilt, we haven't postponed it as such but will like lots not be able to go until the house is sold and only if we get enough money from it.

Sorry to hear your house won't sell, have you tried ?

We haven't tried to sell, but going by similar houses in the area which have been on the market for ages we would struggle to sell.

It's really frustrating as I had a telephone interview with a company at the start of the summer which went well but just couldn't move as quickly enough cos of the downturn in the housing market.:curse:


Sorry to hear of your situation G586, hope it works out in the end.
halftheworldaway is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:49 pm
  #14  
Logical & Hot Stuff
 
FlirtyKnickers's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario's Armpit
Posts: 19,815
FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Originally Posted by neilt View Post
We haven't tried to sell, but going by similar houses in the area which have been on the market for ages we would struggle to sell.

It's really frustrating as I had a telephone interview with a company at the start of the summer which went well but just couldn't move as quickly enough cos of the downturn in the housing market.:curse:


Sorry to hear of your situation G586, hope it works out in the end.
Stick your house on the market after Xmas.....you've nothing to loose I'm sure you'll get another interview and things could work out for you this time.....Finger crossed and all that
FlirtyKnickers is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:53 pm
  #15  
G77
BE Forum Addict
 
G77's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,374
G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postpone move to Canada or power on with the move

Tried to sell our house for about 6 months - couldn't, so ended up renting it out at a loss.... Now the interest rates have dropped, we're now making a small profit, so that has worked out quite well and we got to move here. Hopefully we will be able to sell at some point and we can remain here....
G77 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.