Reload this Page >

post from Canada to UK

post from Canada to UK

Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough
Default Re: post from Canada to UK

Originally Posted by maple
Obviously ball park figures here ......but how long does a letter take to arrive from Canada to UK and vice versa?
Just thinking about birthday cards etc for friends and family....
Thanks
Uk to GTA and reverse usually three days.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:29 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by finallygotout

It will be nice to be able to receive saturday mails here in Canada, or even mails twice a day
We love the fact that there is no mail at the weekend and that the postman only comes once per day. Why would I want to see him more often?

Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:29 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jcexit
Uk to GTA and reverse usually three days.
That is not true about the reverse, evn from the GTA, it takes at least 6-7 days. We can knock royal mail all we want but at least they deliver mail twice a day, and on saturday.

Also the post offices are well laid out in the UK, than they are here from what we've seen so far.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:30 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Not related to mail but I have to confess to having been seriously impressed by UPS recently. I was expecting a very important package from the UK and wanted to be sure I was home when it came (I'd have been in deep do-do, if I'd missed it and had to wait another day). I got hold of its tracking number and checked its progress.

It went from Kentucky to Hamilton to Ottawa to my house in about five hours. I was astonished.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:33 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cowtown
We love the fact that there is no mail at the weekend and that the postman only comes once per day. Why would I want to see him more often?
Because the postman only knocks twice Ask Kevin Costner, he will tell ya

ps: It's not usually the same person
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by finallygotout
That is not true about the reverse, evn from the GTA, it takes at least 6-7 days. We can knock royal mail all we want but at least they deliver mail twice a day, and on saturday.
All I can say is that I get mail from the UK in three days and they get it from me in three days - ie I sent PR cards to UK on Friday, emailed the recipients telling them they would arrive yesterday (Wednesday). Yesterday evening I got a message on my cell phone from them thanking me for the cards which arrived yesterday. Within Ontario it's different which is probably why Canadians use email so much as they do.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:27 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

My sister posted two parcels airmail - one in September, one in October and one parcel for Xmas she posted last week of October (with a typed up label).

The surface item I got in 4 days. The other items I have yet to see.

Serious Suggestion: if your rellies/friends are posting parcels suggest to them that they PRINT the label.

From our experience (and that of other folk) Canada Post has real problems reading handwriting And yes, My sister has a lovely, very distinctive and very cursive script. ...

clare
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:53 am
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maple
Obviously ball park figures here ......but how long does a letter take to arrive from Canada to UK and vice versa?
Just thinking about birthday cards etc for friends and family....
Thanks
In the "bad old days", before progress and postal codes (I'm talking 30 years ago when I lived in the UK) it always took exactly 4 days each way. You could depend on it. Now, well it's anyone's guess. Can be as short as 3 days, as long as 3 weeks, for a letter. Last December I mailed a parcel to myself, from the UK (I was there on holiday) back to Canada. It was supposed to take 6 weeks, surface mail. It finally turned up in April. Parcelforce in England was able to track it to Canada, but then lord knows where it went, probably into storage.