Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

I'de second the bond place , airporter bus drops off there , but if there are 4 of you a taxi is going to be cheaper anyways.

You can't get more downtown that that. Other option we have stayed in is Days Inn on Carlton , still very close to subway line
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
You can't get more downtown that that. Other option we have stayed in is Days Inn on Carlton , still very close to subway line
Rough though. And so's the Best Western across the road.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Okay , it was a few years ago but we found it perfectly acceptable, that area of Yonge seems to have gotten better even since then
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Okay , it was a few years ago but we found it perfectly acceptable, that area of Yonge seems to have gotten better even since then
Ahem. From our office (near there), this morning:

"We are having lots of nasty excitement here, first the fire, where once this nice building stood and today I had to cross the police tape to get to work, as some gunman sits in the car at Yonge & Gerrard, so the police cordoned off the whole area between Church/Yonge/Carlton/Gerrard, I imagine that what Chicago used to be during Al Capone's, not very pleasant."
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:54 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I had a sordid experience at the King Eddy. Should you choose that hotel avoidance of the phrase "looking for scars" is suggested.
Sordid and King Eddy are not usually seen in the same sentence. I would ask about it, but suspect I probably don't want to know...
They do have an excellent club lounge which offers free beer, wine and other delights. I have spent a few pleasant evenings in there.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:55 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I crave the blandness of the business hotel.......
You are going to be in Toronto, isn't that bland enough for you?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ahem. From our office (near there), this morning:

"We are having lots of nasty excitement here, first the fire, where once this nice building stood and today I had to cross the police tape to get to work, as some gunman sits in the car at Yonge & Gerrard, so the police cordoned off the whole area between Church/Yonge/Carlton/Gerrard, I imagine that what Chicago used to be during Al Capone's, not very pleasant."
Ok , you win
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:50 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I've stayed in the Best Western on Carlton, cheap and cheerful and not especially rough.

Other options might be the Delta Chelsea on Gerrard and the Marriott Courtyard on Yonge. The Grand on Jarvis is in fact a lovely hotel.

I would take all of the above over the Bond Place, based on proximity to Dundas. That's a fairly grim set of surroundings, even if it is convenient.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:05 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

What's this place like?:

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-toronto-canada-CN228
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I would describe it as a bit tatty but affordable. It'll be what you expect for a hotel stay on a budget. If the rooms are cheap, then great. Good location, close to Yonge/Bloor subway line and lots of lovely places to eat and drink on Church.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I would describe it as a bit tatty but affordable. It'll be what you expect for a hotel stay on a budget. If the rooms are cheap, then great. Good location, close to Yonge/Bloor subway line and lots of lovely places to eat and drink on Church.
Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Sounds like it will do for us for a short while.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:55 pm

Oooh, if you are staying at the Comfort Inn then head over to Church and walk a block south. There is a great little restaurant called Sambucas, if you can get a table by the window upstairs then there is some people watching to be done (that is the "gay village" so if you are easily offended, go elsewhere). Plus the food is nice. There's also a Hero Burger on that block, immense burgers. Actually, you can't really go wrong with places to eat along there.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Does this help?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...o.html#REVIEWS
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Oooh, if you are staying at the Comfort Inn then head over to Church and walk a block south. There is a great little restaurant called Sambucas, if you can get a table by the window upstairs then there is some people watching to be done (that is the "gay village" so if you are easily offended, go elsewhere). Plus the food is nice. There's also a Hero Burger on that block, immense burgers. Actually, you can't really go wrong with places to eat along there.
We've lived near Manchester's Canal Street for quite a while now so I think it takes quite a lot to shock us these days.

Thanks, we might just check that out, we quite fancy Korea Town for our first meal over there though.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

lots of lovely places to eat and drink on Church.
I suppose it would be as well to point out that Church St. from say Gerrard to Bloor is known as "Boystown" or the Gay Village. Not that that's a problem if one limits oneself to literal eating and drinking but "Naked Night" at the Barn might not be everyone's cup of latte and any night at Zippers is no one's.

On edit: beaten by I2C (again).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.