Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

We are maybe 'landing' in Toronto and staying for a 4-day weekend, sometime before April. Has anyone got any tips on where to stay that's cheap, and fairly central, with a good bus route to/from the airport and downtown?

We haven't booked flights yet and where we land depends on where we manage to find the cheapest flight to. The only disadvantage of Toronto I know about is the queue that I've heard about on another 'landing' thread.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:44 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible 'Landing' in Toronto

Did you see my post about the current seat sale on AC?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

workhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice little service map on this airport bus link showing hotels on its route.

http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/

Check out hotwire.ca to see the best deals at the listed hotels. Cheers
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ +1 for both suggestions. I am currently researching downtown hotel options for a night in a couple of weeks time. Hotwire seems to be a good option although there are some direct with the hotel deals to be had also.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
^^^ +1 for both suggestions. I am currently researching downtown hotel options for a night in a couple of weeks time. Hotwire seems to be a good option although there are some direct with the hotel deals to be had also.
Why you wouldn't negotiate directly with the Novotel escapes me, it's a short walk to the Yard and C'est What and what more could you ask? Otherwise the Town Inn gets good reviews and looks nice from the outside. Somewhere else worth thinking about is the Grand Hotel, it is grand and it's new and shiney, it's close to everything. The snag is that the Grand is on Jarvis Street so there are numerous hostels nearby, lots of hookers, lots of people living on the street. Still, if you're willing to step over the local populace it's rumoured to offer sensible rates.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 11th 2011 at 1:42 am.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:04 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why you wouldn't negotiate directly with the Novotel escapes me, it's a short walk to the Yard and C'est What and what more could you ask? Otherwise the Town Inn gets good reviews and looks nice from the outside. Somewhere else worth thinking about is the Grand Hotel, it is grand and it's new and shiney, it's close to everything. The snag is that the Grand is on Jarvis Street so there are numerous hostels nearby, lots of hookers, lots of people living on the street. Still, if you're willing to step over the local populace it's rumoured to offer sensible rates.
The Novotel, by their website at least, comes out at $160 a night. Hotwire has 4 stars in the area at $96 plus taxes at present. The King Edward, as recommended by LMartin et al, is $119. I suspect I am in analysis paralysis mode and really do need to have a dump or get off the bog. I 'spose I could ring the Novotel and ask for a rate directly. I know it is convenient for the Yard. (Although I don't think the airport express drops off there.)
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:17 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lord man. Novotel or the King Eddy. What choice is there to be made?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:18 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Good Lord man. Novotel or the King Eddy. What choice is there to be made?
I crave the blandness of the business hotel.......
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:40 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

The Bond Place is a pretty cheap and cheerful budget traveller hotel right downtown (couple of blocks walk from the Eaton Centre, although you have to go past the Sally Army line-up) and when my brother stayed there last year it had just had a bit of a spruce up with new furniture and furnishings.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Did you see my post about the current seat sale on AC?
I've had a look, thank you lmartin.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to everyone...

I've had a look at The Bond Place and for 4 of us that would work out at about $80 each per night plus taxes. Doesn't sound like alot but for 6 nights it sure is! Gulp! (About £700)! I'll keep looking at the other options mentioned here and do some more research........

Ideally we'd only like to be there Thurs-Mon or Fri-Tue...so 4 nights, but Canadian Affair could only do Fri-Thur flights for the dates that I initially submitted.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

On your OP you mentioned a Q? When we landed in Toronto there was no Q and we sailed through it, I think its just a case if you are lucky to hit it right where ever you land.

Good luck, have your tried Best Westerns to stay in? Cheap and cheerful!

DC
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The Novotel, by their website at least, comes out at $160 a night. Hotwire has 4 stars in the area at $96 plus taxes at present. The King Edward, as recommended by LMartin et al, is $119. I suspect I am in analysis paralysis mode and really do need to have a dump or get off the bog. I 'spose I could ring the Novotel and ask for a rate directly. I know it is convenient for the Yard. (Although I don't think the airport express drops off there.)
I had a sordid experience at the King Eddy. Should you choose that hotel avoidance of the phrase "looking for scars" is suggested.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:33 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
Thanks to everyone...

I've had a look at The Bond Place and for 4 of us that would work out at about $80 each per night plus taxes. Doesn't sound like alot but for 6 nights it sure is! Gulp! (About £700)! I'll keep looking at the other options mentioned here and do some more research........

Ideally we'd only like to be there Thurs-Mon or Fri-Tue...so 4 nights, but Canadian Affair could only do Fri-Thur flights for the dates that I initially submitted.
Have you tried ringing/emailing them and asking for their best price? I cant help myself anymore, im addicted to haggling!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the bidding feature on Priceline...I've used it in Montreal a number of times and got 4 star hotels in the $60/night range.

The downfall of the bidding feature is you only find out the name of your hotel after you've given your credit card #. This weblink may help in trying to figure out good deals and which hotels are in which category.

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...Toronto-Ottawa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.