Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Positive things about Canada?

Positive things about Canada?

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mullets etc.

Originally posted by iaink
I hate to burst anyones bubble, and without wishing to offend anyone, I have noticed nearly all the mullet conversation is from people still in the UK.

<< SNIPPITY>>

Without knowing any of you, and making some sweeping generalisations, my suspicion is that you shop in these stores because they are fashionable, and to some extent everyone else goes there too, so its a safe choice, you look good, but dont stand out too much. Thats why I used to. Unfortunately, when you get over here, most folks will be a lot more casual, and you will stand out, so my money is on most of you within 3 years going native, and wearing stuff from Roots, Banana Rebublic, Hilfigger etc.

my 2c

Iain
... well. Now I feel guilty that I've offended Iain in someway by having a laugh at mullets and Canadians.

Sorry mate, but (1) I was having a laugh re: mullets. Many people have made fun of me for wanting to move to Canada and the mullet's been dragged up many times. As someone who lives in one of the World's Most Stereotyped Countries (tm) I have learned to laugh at myself, my country and it's stereotypes. I know 2 wrongs may not make a right but I wasn't being personal etc.
(2) I'm not worried at all about fashion. I posted that earlier in this thread... I'm ginger, "cuddly", and in IT. I'm not allowed to have dress sense. It's in the Code. And anyway... I shop in Evans, Debenhams and M&S ... not the GAP etc and I doubt Banana Wotist will have grande femme fashions... so... I will be the one in the sandals and the mu-mu.

... mayhap I've been a little sensitive, but that would be my right as a PMTing woman with overridden hormones.

Wendy
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:17 pm
mickj

Originally posted by Purple74
... well. Now I feel guilty that I've offended Iain in someway by having a laugh at mullets and Canadians.

Sorry mate, but (1) I was having a laugh re: mullets. Many people have made fun of me for wanting to move to Canada and the mullet's been dragged up many times. As someone who lives in one of the World's Most Stereotyped Countries (tm) I have learned to laugh at myself, my country and it's stereotypes. I know 2 wrongs may not make a right but I wasn't being personal etc.
(2) I'm not worried at all about fashion. I posted that earlier in this thread... I'm ginger, "cuddly", and in IT. I'm not allowed to have dress sense. It's in the Code. And anyway... I shop in Evans, Debenhams and M&S ... not the GAP etc and I doubt Banana Wotist will have grande femme fashions... so... I will be the one in the sandals and the mu-mu.

... mayhap I've been a little sensitive, but that would be my right as a PMTing woman with overridden hormones.

Wendy

Wendy,

You are being too harsh on yourself, you sexy thing Ginger, cuddly, and in IT? Some men will kill for that, i should know, am in IT myself and married to a lady with all those except the GINGER

Evans, debenhams and marks and sparks are stores my wife likes when we go to London. I still manage to use my old NUS card to get a discount there, i know...am a tight arse

Anything but the dungarees, loin cloth, and the mullet :scared:

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Wendy
You come across as a 'New Look', JJB Sports kinda girl to me Wendy! i can just imagine you now with your Black leggin's and white Umbro top! Nicely finished off with jumbo hoop earings and gold accessories courtesy of Elizabeth Duke!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

And none of us like offending you Iain - you are the font of all ex-pat knowledge.

Indeed, not only are you our oracle...

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say you're our favourite Forumista!!

Okay, enough crawling...

My mullet comments stemmed from the fact that my g/f who is originally from K-W tells me that unfortunately, the mullet is still the hairstyle of choice there.

My experience of Canadian fashion comes from Canadian tourists in the UK and (although I'll likely die for saying this as she's a regular poster on here too) photographs from my g/f's visits home.

You're indeed correct then in your assumption that comments are made by the likes of me, in the UK, but in my case it is with an informed reference point to use in my mockery.

For what it's worth, I generally wear jeans, a checked shirt (although it's always untucked) with a t-shirt underneath in colder months and boots - usually Timberland. Hey - I ain't no fashion victim! Pah!!

Oh, hang on. Just realised that my jeans are ****...
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seamonsta
You come across as a 'New Look', JJB Sports kinda girl to me Wendy! i can just imagine you now with your Black leggin's and white Umbro top! Nicely finished off with jumbo hoop earings and gold accessories courtesy of Elizabeth Duke!
There's only one way to find out if you are Wendy.

And that's to
TAKE THE TEST!!!

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickj
i know...am a tight arse

Anything but the dungarees, loin cloth, and the mullet :scared:
Cheers Mick *blush* ...
If I can't finda mu-mu that doesn't clash with my hair, then I think I'll have to order from Evans online - M&S have a website right?
Never know... there may be a www.mu-muworld.com

re: you being a tight bottom - you're fae north o' the border then? (and I mean in a UK sense... )

Cheers!

Wendy
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mr Lee
And none of us like offending you Iain - you are the font of all ex-pat knowledge.

Okay, enough crawling...

My mullet comments stemmed from the fact that my g/f who is originally from K-W tells me that unfortunately, the mullet is still the hairstyle of choice there.

My experience of Canadian fashion comes from Canadian tourists in the UK and (although I'll likely die for saying this as she's a regular poster on here too) photographs from my g/f's visits home.

You're indeed correct then in your assumption that comments are made by the likes of me, in the UK, but in my case it is with an informed reference point to use in my mockery.

For what it's worth, I generally wear jeans, a checked shirt (although it's always untucked) with a t-shirt underneath in colder months and boots - usually Timberland. Hey - I ain't no fashion victim! Pah!!

Oh, hang on. Just realised that my jeans are ****...
Timberland Boots!!!
:scared:
Goodness, that's frighteningly close to Rockports! Favoured footwear of Scallies and Chavs across England!
You don't tuck those jeans into your socks do you?
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:42 pm
mickj

Timberland Boots!!!
Goodness, that's frighteningly close to Rockports! Favoured footwear of Scallies and Chavs across England!
The forumnista? I have heard of a fashionista, but this is a new one on me, how many stars general is that

Form Mr Lee's discription, he will fit in well East Of TO :scared: He can take his pick from WHITBY onwards. :scared:

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, enough crawling...
God, I hope that was sarchasm, have you any idea how sad that would be otherwise.

Anyway we all know that mick is the real font of all knowledge.

Dont worry, I am not going to take offence at anything here, I just thought there was room for a more balanced view about the incidence of mullets in the wild... Like bears, they are out there, but most of the time they wont do you any harm!

Iain

Wendy, sounds like you will be cursed to shop in Penningtons, AdditionElle and Cotton Ginny...you will probaly bump into my wife there.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:48 pm
mickj

Cheers Mick *blush* ...
If I can't finda mu-mu that doesn't clash with my hair, then I think I'll have to order from Evans online - M&S have a website right?
Never know... there may be a www.mu-muworld.com

re: you being a tight bottom - you're fae north o' the border then? (and I mean in a UK sense... )

Cheers!

Wendy
Wendy,

Am a cockney from the eastend of London originally. Did i just disappoint you there?

Yes marks and sparks do have a site you can order from. Some of their best line right now, is called PER UNA, they are sophisticated and stylish, none of that crass trailer park look.

Yes am a tight arse, and my wife will agree on that with you

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

There's only one way to find out if you are Wendy.

And that's to
TAKE THE TEST!!!

*LMAO*

) I couldn't answer them as as I don't have a Michaela-Marie...

But I'm a classier bird than New Look Seamonsta... told you - it's "Burberry" for me - Got the kilt, got the handbag, and the tanktop, the umbrella...

Wendy
Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:00 pm
mickj

*LMAO*

) I couldn't answer them as as I don't have a Michaela-Marie...

But I'm a classier bird than New Look Seamonsta... told you - it's "Burberry" for me - Got the kilt, got the handbag, and the tanktop, the umbrella...

Wendy

You left something out Wendy....The baseball cap for the summer time

How about miss selfridge? Not forgetting Swarozki for your crystals of course Both shops on regent street london, but then again, you will know that

Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

The forumnista? I have heard of a fashionista, but this is a new one on me, how many stars general is that

Form Mr Lee's discription, he will fit in well East Of TO :scared: He can take his pick from WHITBY onwards. :scared:
Mick... is East of TO a bad thing? ... Ajax/Newcastle/Whitby (basement space permitting) is where we're headed. Is that prime mu-mu territory or will I get away with vest tops, "slacks" and sandals?

Thanks Iain for the shop names... I think I've found my first clashing "almost" mumu
http://www.penningtons.com/en/main.c...re&image_no=27
YUMMY! Wonder if they can make it wider and more garish?

Wendy
Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

You left something out Wendy....The baseball cap for the summer time

How about miss selfridge? Not forgetting Swarozki for your crystals of course Both shops on regent street london, but then again, you will know that
Baseball caps are just for summer? Never!
... you'll be sayin that my sunnies are just for summer also! :scared:

Oh, and I don't know about the shops in London... they don't take Scottish money sowf of the border and I haven't found a Scottish-English bureau de change yet. I have to make do with Elizabeth Duke for my bling bling.

Wendy
Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timberland Boots!!!
Why, I oughta...

It's hard for me to find shoes/boots I like in my size. Timberland make big boots, hence the fancy footwear.

I wouldn't be seen dead in Rockports... Eugh.

Although I must confess, I am from Stockport where this dreadful fashion seems to have been created.

Now, all round Manchester there are whole families of scallies all walking around as though they've not only got something up their bum but also as though they're unable to pick their scabby knuckles off the floor, staggering along with spliffs behind their wingnut ears, bearing baseball caps tightened so much it leaves a mark on their thick skulls, gold-plate name tags and sovereign rings a-plenty with their tucked in tracky bottoms and expensive Nike trainers all chirping "Ere yaa dick'edd" whilst nicking sweets from the newsagents, drinking cans of Fosters on Market Street in the daytime, throwing fireworks at people "for fun" and SNAPPING THE *****ING AERIAL OFF MY CAR...

Scum - I hate them all!!!

...and relax...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.