Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Positive things about Canada?

Positive things about Canada?

Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 25 Signs Showing You Might be Canadian

I love these...
Question though... what if you're reading it and nodding but you're NOT Canadian?
Does that just make me a sad sod?

Wendy

Originally posted by flashman
1. You're not offended by the term "HOMO MILK".

Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by seamonsta
We chose Toronto as that seemed the best option for jobs etc. My partner is from Nova Scotia, however apparently that has high unemployment?
We came back from NS inDecember and now really miss it. Sure, it is more expensive than much of Canada with less opportunities but, unemployment rate is only about 8% (not that much higher than UK) unless you got to Cape Breton where it is about 15%.

We miss the parks and people and whilst we found there dire need to believe NS is the best place in the world a bit annoying when we were there, we find the English negativity far more annoying. Obsession over qualifications also a bit annoying.

In NS we rented a large 3 bed 3 storey modern house with plenty of room and could easily have afforded to buy it. IN UK we live in shrewsbury and see no way we can now get out of our poxy 2 bed rented house and buy a house. Its all way to expensive and I have a pretty decent salary.

Why oh why did we come home????? Some things are better in the UK, others are not and being able to afford to buy a house is pretty majorly important!!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Canadians do tend to view Canada as the best thing since sliced bread. That's just patriotism. It's a shame more people here aren't proud to be British.
Again, is it rampant negativism? Brits seem to think everywhere and everything is dreadful. It's either people not speaking English, foreign food, foreign TV etc. etc.
Nova Scotia WAS wonderful, which is why I refuse to believe some of the negative posts about Canada and Canadians. I found people to be warm and friendly. The slow pace of life and easy going nature I also thought was fantastic. Drivers even stopped to let pedestrians cross!!!
Dramatically different from some parts of the UK. Leeds? London?
Perhaps wages ARE low, unemployment high, you just have to ask what you want from life. My idea of a great life is not the rat-race dog eat dog world of London. OK, you might earn £70k a year, but what sort of existence is it? You can't live a life of trendy bars can you?
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

My idea of a great life is not the rat-race dog eat dog world of London. OK, you might earn £70k a year, but what sort of existence is it? You can't live a life of trendy bars can you?
My sentiments exactly...

Perhaps people like you and I will be the happy ones in Canada... I hope so. I'll be trying hard enough, that's for sure!

Wendy
Old Feb 26th 2004, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

...You can't live a life of trendy bars can you?
not in Calgary anyway
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

SuperDeluxe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Purple74
My sentiments exactly...

Perhaps people like you and I will be the happy ones in Canada... I hope so. I'll be trying hard enough, that's for sure!

Wendy
You are exactly the people who will be happy in Canada.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Talking

Originally posted by SuperDeluxe
Great to hear someone say that! Thanks!
It's horses for courses surely? Just because some people hate Canada doesn't mean others will. Keep a sense of humour and treat everything as an adventure that's my philosophy.
I know I will probably love Canada, having been there already, the only thing I'm aprehensive about is jobs. Still, I'm not sure what type of jobs people are talking about, or to what lifestyle they are accustomed to!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

SuperDeluxe is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear someone say that! Thanks!
It's horses for courses surely? Just because some people hate Canada doesn't mean others will. Keep a sense of humour and treat everything as an adventure that's my philosophy.
I know I will probably love Canada, having been there already, the only thing I'm aprehensive about is jobs. Still, I'm not sure what type of jobs people are talking about, or to what lifestyle they are accustomed to!
If you aim for middle class comfort you can achieve it. Getting rich anywhere is a task of a lifetime. Even for natural-born Canadians like myself. So pay no mind to the people who like to gripe, including ignorant Canadians. There are many Canadians who will gladly befriend you and help you along your journey. I being one of them.

Cheers!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by SuperDeluxe

.... well, that's my day made... what will I do for the remaining hours?

Cheers Super D!

Wendy
Old Mar 4th 2004, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Positive things about Canada?

I LOVE CANADA!

I have struggled for many years in the UK and i never regret moving here at all.
money is tight right now but i know things will get better in the future. All good things come to those who wait.

Canada has far more to offer than the Uk.
i have a teenage son and i know this was the best move i ever made for him. I also have a daughter of 19 still in England but she also plans to move here.
my youngest child was severly disabled and she sadley fell asleep in the arms of God in December 2002. I struggled for ten years in the Uk with two other children and no real support.

She had complex medical needs and she was severly disabled. After Ten years of intense medical and social development problems, i gained no recognition at all. Far to many people in this position! I saved the government thousands of pounds in care. I recieved no qualifications at all. I was a fully trained nurse 24/7.
The whole system in the UK really is falling to peices.
The no longer take care of the british.
SORRY IF THAT OFFENDS ANYONE! This is my personal experience.

My whole family suffered and we all became much better people because of it.
National health is a joke now.

I used to be proud to be British... Not anymore!

I have made the best move ever.

Good luck to everyone!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

clanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Positive things about Canada?

I have a family that is spread to all four corners of the world
( never have understood that saying ) anyway, guess which ones we most like to visit, we have literally worked our way around and across Canada whilst visiting them, this may have only been from a "tourist" point of view but we are now trying very hard to move to British Columbia as my wife and I are very sure the quality of life can only get better for our children which from our present position of living in Essex UK won't be to hard.

Be lucky

Originally posted by Purple74
Lo all...

I've been looking around the forum and the boards here, and there seems to be a fair amount of negativity about Canada and emigrating there...

Shirley some peeps must have positive tales and success stories?
... and I don't just mean about work and employment.
How about the positive aspects to being in Canada?
There must be some...

Please?

Jings, I hope so...

Cheers!

Wendy
Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Positive things about Canada?

Originally posted by clanger
I have a family that is spread to all four corners of the world
( never have understood that saying ) anyway, guess which ones we most like to visit, we have literally worked our way around and across Canada whilst visiting them, this may have only been from a "tourist" point of view but we are now trying very hard to move to British Columbia as my wife and I are very sure the quality of life can only get better for our children which from our present position of living in Essex UK won't be to hard.

Be lucky

Good thing about having family or friends in the country is that you can bombard them with all sorts of questions - such as recycling, do they have a council tax, why does noone walk anywhere? etc...

Cheers!

Wendy
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

quebirder is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of the positives listed - (almost) all of which I agree with - are to do with economic aspects of life in Canada so might I add the really really great things for me that don't fit in those boxes ....

Living in one of the world/s major cities and knowing there are bears and wolves within an hours drive at most.

.... and not in a zoo, either

Sitting beside a lake that hour's drive from said city, looking north and knowing that there is nothing that humans have had a hand in making between you and the north pole.

Space

What else do you need to make life happy?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by quebirder
A lot of the positives listed - (almost) all of which I agree with - are to do with economic aspects of life in Canada so might I add the really really great things for me that don't fit in those boxes ....

Living in one of the world/s major cities and knowing there are bears and wolves within an hours drive at most.

.... and not in a zoo, either

Sitting beside a lake that hour's drive from said city, looking north and knowing that there is nothing that humans have had a hand in making between you and the north pole.

Space

What else do you need to make life happy?
Agreed plus

- Being under the radar. Canada seldom makes the news in other countries which is just fine with me.

- No Celibrity Culture like the fixation with the Royals etc.

- Watching the squirrels and the occasional rabbit, bluejay around my house.

- Having to watch for deer, raccoons (and skunks) when driving.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by flashman
Agreed plus

- Being under the radar. Canada seldom makes the news in other countries which is just fine with me.

- No Celibrity Culture like the fixation with the Royals etc.

- Watching the squirrels and the occasional rabbit, bluejay around my house.

- Having to watch for deer, raccoons (and skunks) when driving.

For me, economic aspects are not all that important. I guess some people are materialistic, other's aren't. I'm definately not. A spanking new car would be nice, but I'd prefer to live in a nice city with plenty of parks, swimming pools and a good atmosphere. Toronto seems to offer that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.