Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Positive Immigration Stories (Also, any Welsh expats here?)

Positive Immigration Stories (Also, any Welsh expats here?)

Old Feb 10th 2019, 10:29 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive Immigration Stories (Also, any Welsh expats here?)

Originally Posted by rawsalad
I'm a bit surprised about the opportunities for the kids reasoning. I have experienced Canada and the UK and I feel the opposite. Here's why.

Schooling up to year 10 is very easy compared to the UK. My son gets worked hard in the UK but while he was in Canada he barely got any homework and what he got he was able to complete during class time - he would do his science homework in English class for example. One thing that he did like is the special programmes that are available to students entering Middle School (eg: international baccularate, music) and in high school with athletics, Uni, sci tech programmes. Where we are in the UK they don't really have any of this.

If your son is into clubs like football clubs - expect to pay a lot more and the quality of his peers to be much lower. It is much cheaper than ice hockey however! My son's track club was over $700 per year plus additional competition fees and the requirement to participate in fund raising. None of that at his track club in the UK where we pay £100 for the year and there are a lot more meets year round.
This is something like my experience with Canada and kids. We came here when my son went into 6th grade, Middle School, and I got in a panic as he had no homework, no pressure and little or no consequences if he did damn all...He’s graduating this year and has done a mixture of courses including Art in this final year!... and a number of IB courses. He has enough academic stress to keep him focused. He applied earlier this year to 5 universities and was accepted by them all, so I’m quite contented. He has enjoyed his school years and is generally happy.

With regard to after school activities I must give a shout out to the Cadet Programme, my son started at age 12 and has had the time of his life in it, whether they decide to go to Air, Sea or Army...the cadet programme delivers fun, education, fitness and a lifetime of memories. My kid was part of the honour guard for Chris Hadfield, has made it five years running to the biathlon finals, so they taught him to ski and shoot, he has been away every summer to camp - 3 of them being six weeks courses in other parts of Canada, he can play various musical instruments...the list of the available avenues, dependent on his interests, that he could have taken are endless and it has cost my family the total sum of zero dollars, other than the fact we volunteer for them tirelessly, as it’s SUCH an amazing programme. He ages out this year as a Warrant Officer First Class and will, with luck, have his Pilots License, self confidence and a gazillion transferable skills …It has just been a Hugh positive aspect of our move to Canada.

Moving to Canada is not easy and it can place a hard mental toll on your family and sense of self, I’d lived in a few countries prior to coming and have found the transition here to be the hardest...it’s odd, as they speak English and eat crumpets, you’d think it might be easier to settle and it’s not always the case. You really need to give yourself time and be super supportive to each other.

As for being Welsh! I am told on a daily basis that I am “Australian, Irish or Scottish” none of which apply...I sound just like the very annoying Shula on the Archers, we are practically interchangable....I am now just ‘foreign’ It’s most frustrating

Very best of luck, I wish you and your family every success
Old Feb 10th 2019, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
With regard to after school activities I must give a shout out to the Cadet Programme, my son started at age 12 and has had the time of his life in it, whether they decide to go to Air, Sea or Army...the cadet programme delivers fun, education, fitness and a lifetime of memories. My kid was part of the honour guard for Chris Hadfield, has made it five years running to the biathlon finals, so they taught him to ski and shoot, he has been away every summer to camp - 3 of them being six weeks courses in other parts of Canada, he can play various musical instruments...the list of the available avenues, dependent on his interests, that he could have taken are endless and it has cost my family the total sum of zero dollars, other than the fact we volunteer for them tirelessly, as it’s SUCH an amazing programme. He ages out this year as a Warrant Officer First Class and will, with luck, have his Pilots License, self confidence and a gazillion transferable skills …It has just been a Hugh positive aspect of our move to Canada.
Good to know, my son is joining the Air Cadets this year finally - he's been desperately waiting until he's old enough!
Old Feb 10th 2019, 6:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Good to know, my son is joining the Air Cadets this year finally - he's been desperately waiting until he's old enough!
My younger brother once wanted to join the Cubs. I suggested the Brownies.
He told me he wasn't old enough.