Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Not exactly, but I could equally say you have become out of touch with the way the job market has developed in this country.

Immigrants always have a more positive approach toward work / education / achievement and whilst Canada is not as open as it used to be it has a long way to go to descend to the depths of the UK. UK is wholly nepotistic when it comes to senior management appointments and afraid to try new things.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
UK is wholly nepotistic when it comes to senior management appointments and afraid to try new things.
Ah.

Senior management appointments are irrelevant to me and I don't follow them. However, at the other extreme, here's an example of how things work in Canada. I have a client, one of the "top 50 employers in Canada". They take on interns in the summer, students from various universities, forty or so each year. These students are, pretty much, assured of a job at the firm at the end of their course. Many do take those jobs as the employer has a good reputation and they're at the front of the queue.

Who are they? Well, of course, they're the children of current employees, the social hierarchy among them follows the status of their parent within the firm. It may be that there's a chance for an able student to find a position without the family connection but I've yet to meet one. (And I've been consulting at that firm on and off since 1986, thanks to a once close friendship with the person now in charge).

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 10th 2010 at 12:45 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:43 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly, but I could equally say you have become out of touch with the way the job market has developed in this country.

Immigrants always have a more positive approach toward work / education / achievement and whilst Canada is not as open as it used to be it has a long way to go to descend to the depths of the UK. UK is wholly nepotistic when it comes to senior management appointments and afraid to try new things.
Jesuswept!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, i'm actually working in London, UK, at the moment so i'm still in touch, and having experienced both i can comfortably say that my experience of working in the UK is much more positive than Canada. This is purely based upon your comments of "trying new things", "nepotism/it's who you know", and fair treatment by employers with regards to trial periods.

After working closely with people from all over the world, i find employees aren't vastly different with regards to their approach to work, especially in the western world. Other than those who have succumbed to a bit of North American propaganda whereby their moral needs bolstering after being given 10 days holiday a year

Still, as long as people have realistic expectations of their move, i'm sure all's well that ends well. If not, i fear people could be in for a shock
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

I too have experience of both including 15 years in London and can categorically say Canada is better. But then I'm a glass half full person.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:20 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience, and speaking with family back in the UK, is that I'm treated better here. Although I do work for the Feds, so has no relevance to the private sector.

It's all swings and roundabouts really, some end up better placed others don't.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah.

Senior management appointments are irrelevant to me and I don't follow them. However, at the other extreme, here's an example of how things work in Canada. I have a client, one of the "top 50 employers in Canada". They take on interns in the summer, students from various universities, forty or so each year. These students are, pretty much, assured of a job at the firm at the end of their course. Many do take those jobs as the employer has a good reputation and they're at the front of the queue.

Who are they? Well, of course, they're the children of current employees, the social hierarchy among them follows the status of their parent within the firm. It may be that there's a chance for an able student to find a position without the family connection but I've yet to meet one. (And I've been consulting at that firm on and off since 1986, thanks to a once close friendship with the person now in charge).
I can`t fault this. Nepotism is way more noticeable in Canada than in the UK. I would even go as far to say that, it is so rife, Canadians see it as normal. Someone being recruited outside such circles would be the exception.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I too have experience of both including 15 years in London and can categorically say Canada is better. But then I'm a glass half full person.
Different experiences is what it's all about. I stand by my view and experiences but wish you luck with life in Canada. I hope it all turns out as you expect
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Have you looked at the employment laws, or lack of employment laws, in Canada?
Employment protection may be non existent in Canada but in the UK the laws in place don't necessarily prevent sharp practice. I know of one place in the UK which won't tolerate any union membership so they sack anyone who joins a union. Now and again they get taken to court and have to pay compensation but they regard it as a small price to pay.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:28 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimf
Employment protection may be non existent in Canada but in the UK the laws in place don't necessarily prevent sharp practice. I know of one place in the UK which won't tolerate any union membership so they sack anyone who joins a union. Now and again they get taken to court and have to pay compensation but they regard it as a small price to pay.
I worked on a contract for a large, well known telecommunications company in the UK. They had a similar attitude towards union activity. It was all very militant. Crappy employment practices exist most everywhere, you can get lucky or unlucky in either country.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Would anyone really want to work for such an employer? Seems to me the employer`s attitude is likely to be self-defeating. Word will spread and no-one will want to work for them.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:35 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Would anyone really want to work for such an employer? Seems to me the employer`s attitude is likely to be self-defeating. Word will spread and no-one will want to work for them.
How about folk that need the money? Very few people work because they want to work.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I worked on a contract for a large, well known telecommunications company in the UK. They had a similar attitude towards union activity. It was all very militant. Crappy employment practices exist most everywhere, you can get lucky or unlucky in either country.
I still work for them, on contracts, on and off. It used to entail travel to thrilling corners of the UK, Milton Keynes and Glasgow stand out, but now they've offshored most of the work to India (and rural Ontario).
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

In this particular business the wages for the "shop floor" staff are very low not much above minimum wage. They don't seem to have a problem with recruitment though. If the minimum wage was raised significantly or if there was a union to drive up wages then that part of the business would be shut down immediately no question.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:41 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

In my example above, it was widely known that contracts at this particular place were shit, the bottom of the barrel. No one actually wanted to work there, the conditions were dire and the staff were treated like lab animals. Staff turnover was incredible. The place was a sprawl of work stations so many staff drank from flasks and whatnot hidden under the desk. On numerous occasions, the police came to the building and carted people off for a selection of crimes including assault and drug offences. The ring leader in the on-going union fiasco was a recent release from prison for a catalogue of violent, paramilitary related crimes. (Actually, he was a very pleasant man, but best to keep on his good side).

I went there as it was the only full time position at the time that had an immediate start. I remember revelling in the thought of earning a whole 5 GBP per hour (Incidentally, this while I was still a student, you know, paying all that student related stuff )

The point of all this was that the place was hellish to work in. Yet, people cannot always pick and choose and say "oh no, poor employment practices, I'll not work there". The same goes for immigrants, beggars cannot be choosers. Take it, keep your mouth shut and move on at the first opportunity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.