Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Police Records

Police Records

Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Splendid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Records

I have just received my police records in the UK. I am a UK resident. I had convictions for petty theft when i was 16 & 17 but the document states that there is no information held about me in the person Record category. Does that mean i have a clean record. If it does not is there any way that the CIC can find out about these convictions? As they are so long ago ( i am 36 now) is it worth mentioning them. If this document states that there is no information held about me, does the UK police force hold further information that we dont know about.
Old Jul 25th 2002, 4:20 am
Pmm

Default Re: Police Records

Hi Splendid

"Splendid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I have just received my police records in the UK. I am a UK resident. I had
    > convictions for petty theft when i was 16 & 17 but the document states that there
    > is no information held about me in the person Record category. Does that mean i
    > have a clean record. If it does not is there any way that the CIC can find out
    > about these convictions? As they are so long ago ( i am 36 now) is it worth
    > mentioning them. If this document states that there is no information held about
    > me, does the UK police force hold further information that we dont know about.

You pretty well have to mention it. If you answer the question "have you ever been
convicted of a crime or offence" No, then you are digging yourself a very deep hole.
The lie on the application might come back to haunt you. The offences were when you
were a juvenile and since they were over 10 years ago and probably equate to a
summary offence in Canada. Under IRPA you would have been considered rehabilitated
and should not be refused for criminal convictions. You may wish to discuss with an
Immigration lawyer/consultant.

PMM

Old Jul 25th 2002, 1:20 pm
pkjmet

Default Re: Police Records

"PMM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<_jK%[email protected]> ...
    > Hi Splendid
    >
    > "Splendid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have just received my police records in the UK. I am a UK resident. I had
    > > convictions for petty theft when i was 16 & 17 but the document states that there
    > > is no information held about me in the person Record category. Does that mean i
    > > have a clean record. If it does not is there any way that the CIC can find out
    > > about these convictions? As they are so long ago ( i am 36 now) is it worth
    > > mentioning them. If this document states that there is no information held about
    > > me, does the UK police force hold further information that we dont know about.
    >
    > You pretty well have to mention it. If you answer the question "have you ever been
    > convicted of a crime or offence" No, then you are digging yourself a very deep
    > hole. The lie on the application might come back to haunt you. The offences were
    > when you were a juvenile and since they were over 10 years ago and probably equate
    > to a summary offence in Canada. Under IRPA you would have been considered
    > rehabilitated and should not be refused for criminal convictions. You may wish to
    > discuss with an Immigration lawyer/consultant.
    >
    > PMM

You must make full disclosure of the facts or as PMM advises you can be refused and
barred from applying again fo a period of time.

It appears that your transgression would be treated as a minor offence and with the
passage of time (10 years) you will be deemed to have been rehabilitated. This is a
new aspect of the new Immigration Act and should benefit you.

You may also wish to consult a solicitor in the UK to see if you were dealt with as a
juvinile offender or if you have received a Pardon under British law due to the
passage of time.

JIm Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer