Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 5th 2010, 9:17 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

Originally Posted by izzi81
I'm not sure I fit into any of Kate's categories
Nobody does. But our kate is a bit of a conformist.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
But now you're changing the goalposts yet again, Kate. You need to be clear and concise from the very beginning of a debate. You cannot change the wording to suit yourself when you're becoming overwhelmed by retorts.

First you said that university educated people would want to leave Canada because of a lack of culture. Then you said you were leaving because of your financial situation. Then you say that only university educated people can appreciate culture. Then you say only culture centric university educated people can appreciate culture. And now you admit that anybody can appreciate culture but only those with formal education on culture can appreciate it to its fullest.

Oh dear. I'm going to the garage........
Trying the multi quote.........We are leaving Canada because of the lack of culture important to me AND our financial situation...the chains have been cut and my husband is free....No more reason to stay here.

The garage is the best place for you!

Caitlin, No I don't think University is the only way to obtain knowledge,but it's probably the best way.

The more you know the better you are, in my opinion. without a full education you are lacking, but I mean you are hurting yourself. There is so much that I don't know. I'm lacking in the knowledge of many things botany for example, I know nothing, but if I had that knowledge my garden would be so much better.

Now this Godwin thing is a good idea

I want to start another topic anyway...might not be until the weekend. I hope it's not as bloody as this one has been.

It's reminded me of the Archers. Whenever you listen to the Archers the angst is terrrible.

I see what you mean about foot notes and I feel stupid....I won't post until after the coffee in future.

I'll need stiff whiskies at this rate.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Multiquote didn't work

I'm reading the rest of you and having another go.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:26 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
Multiquote didn't work

I'm reading the rest of you and having another go.
Click the multi-quote button (it's the small one) under each post you want to respond to and then hit "New Reply" at the bottom. Add your comments after each [QUOTE] block in the reply window.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

We are leaving Canada because of the lack of culture important to me AND our financial situation...the chains have been cut and my husband is free....No more reason to stay here.
Again, you change the goalposts, Kate. At the very beginning of this thread you said that you don't believe any educated person would leave Canada because of the limited financial aspect they may face. You said the argument was weak.

Then you go on to say that you are leaving for that reason.

Now you say it's partly the reason and you've thrown in the cultural aspect for good measure.

You really need to obtain more knowledge on debating. Or at least choose a topic you're comfortable with.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to your next topic. Just do one thing for me though. Please please please be yourself and, as i've said before, don't try to be something you're not.

Should be fun

Old May 5th 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Alan2005;8545304]Click the multi-quote button (it's the small one) under each post you want to respond to and then hit "New Reply" at the bottom. Add your comments after each
block in the reply window.
Thank you Alan, I'm giving it a go.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Entertaining thread this. I have a BA Hons in Photography Film and Television ('arts degree'). I am about to get an MPhil in Pure and Applied Chemistry ('science masters degree'). I may have a university education from both sides but that certainly doesn't mean I understand all art, or all science! One thing I do know is that my arts degree was full of postmodernist nonsense (not dissimilar to the passage quoted above) which was a complete waste of time (give me the practical work any day). Any subject where you can get high marks by waffling about something you are not sure you understand is a made-up subject. The intricacies of postmodernism is just that.

I'm in the process of emigrating to Canada, where my dream is to leave behind my science-based career for a less well-paid self-employed art and craft life.

I'm not sure I fit into any of Kate's categories
Bloody hell, there are some geniuses in here.

Tell me what you are going to do art and crafty wise?
Old May 5th 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Again, you change the goalposts, Kate. At the very beginning of this thread you said that you don't believe any educated person would leave Canada because of the limited financial aspect they may face. You said the argument was weak.

Then you go on to say that you are leaving for that reason.

Now you say it's partly the reason and you've thrown in the cultural aspect for good measure.

You really need to obtain more knowledge on debating. Or at least choose a topic you're comfortable with.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to your next topic. Just do one thing for me though. Please please please be yourself and, as i've said before, don't try to be something you're not.

Should be fun

My trouble is I reply to posts too quickly without thinking them through properly. I'm like a golden retriever (bitch) that can't wait to greet the master.

I'm just not articulate enough.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:37 am

Anyway, i'm looking forward to your next topic.
Me too. But that's because I'm a Libra.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Me too. But that's because I'm a Libra.

I think the saggitarius is more on the mark. I still failed the multiquote.
I'll keep trying!
Old May 5th 2010, 9:45 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

...can't wait to greet the master...
At least you acknowledge your capabilities
Old May 5th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

At least you acknowledge your capabilities
hahahaaha I have the capability as a little retriever bitch to go doo doo..(.I'm being careful after my chastisement), on the masters shoe.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:58 am
Beep

hahahaaha I have the capability as a little retriever bitch to go doo doo..(.I'm being careful after my chastisement), on the masters shoe.
It wouldn't be the first time that happened to me
Old May 5th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, there are some geniuses in here.

Tell me what you are going to do art and crafty wise?
Nice to be complimented
I've always enjoyed art and craft of all types, but I've never really viewed it as a possible career until I started visiting Canada, which has a thriving craft culture and seems to view it more highly than the UK. (Also having my other half able to earn money helps, it would be much more of a daunting choice if I was on my own!) I also think I want to be self-employed as I keep finding being an employee hugely frustrating!

Currently I have a few things on the go, I keep being told I really ought to focus on one so I'm trying to choose. I like felting, both 3D vessels and flat 'paintings', bead embroidered jewellery, sewing handbags, and I'd love to try silver jewellery at some point. I like painting and drawing too, but seem to be drawn to more 'useful' things when I think of things to sell than something which will just hang on someone's wall...

I'm pretty sure my mixture of interests comes from a mother with a Fine Arts degree and a father who lectured in Computing Science....

Novocastrian - probably right, I don't think there's a category for me anywhere!
Old May 5th 2010, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Nice to be complimented
I've always enjoyed art and craft of all types, but I've never really viewed it as a possible career until I started visiting Canada, which has a thriving craft culture and seems to view it more highly than the UK. (Also having my other half able to earn money helps, it would be much more of a daunting choice if I was on my own!) I also think I want to be self-employed as I keep finding being an employee hugely frustrating!

Currently I have a few things on the go, I keep being told I really ought to focus on one so I'm trying to choose. I like felting, both 3D vessels and flat 'paintings', bead embroidered jewellery, sewing handbags, and I'd love to try silver jewellery at some point. I like painting and drawing too, but seem to be drawn to more 'useful' things when I think of things to sell than something which will just hang on someone's wall...

I'm pretty sure my mixture of interests comes from a mother with a Fine Arts degree and a father who lectured in Computing Science....

Novocastrian - probably right, I don't think there's a category for me anywhere!
Good, I like people who are not rigid and uptight and ego protective. I have always admired people who are artists it's a talent that I don't have at all.
I can't draw anything. I sewed my daughter a dress once that she hated, so never again and my son I knitted a sweater for and he cried because it was so itchy. I have done a bit of cross stitch that turned out well and that's the extent of my art except for loving what is beautiful.

I love craft fairs especially out door ones in the summer. I have noticed that the stalls with the biggest crowds around them are the jewellery ones especially silver jewellery. In Cornwall Uk last year, I bought an absolutely lovely bracelet combing multicolour glass beads and silver, everyone here admires it because of it's prettiness and delicacy.

I just have the strong feeling that you will do very well and I'm wishing that for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.