Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 5th 2010, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Old May 5th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
ahh - I thought I was Speshul

Um, yes I can keep up with my friends because I don't neglect them! That's why they are friends - innit - or am losing the will to live?

Any way, I am off to Whistler for the night with MY FRIENDS from the Uk, who I do not neglect and hence have come to visit me
Good for you miss ding dong....I'm not so nice. Have a lovely weekend. I'm sure
you will though.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:58 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
Here's me Kate, a working class girl dragged up through the council estates and military bases of a breaking Britain.

[Snipped ramblings about 'when I grew up as a lass we 'ad to walk 25 miles over t'moor to work 23 hrs a day in't mills' accompanied by the Hovis ad (or Dvoraks Symphony No 9 for the edumicated)]

What is so bad in saying a university enhances knowledge.
Nowt' dear. It's saying that only those with a fine arts degree or other such waste of time, can appreciate culture. It's an untenable position.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Nowt' dear. It's saying that only those with a fine arts degree or other such waste of time, can appreciate culture. It's an untenable position.
Lets say then, appreciate it to the full....Does that make it better?
Old May 5th 2010, 7:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. It's still deeply patronising and offensive to those not blessed with your education in the finer things of life.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not at all. It's still deeply patronising and offensive to those not blessed with your education in the finer things of life.
Then I'm giving up and going back to the kleenex. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old May 5th 2010, 7:09 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

One last try,but only because that Greenhill made me laugh my head off. Perhaps I need to talk to you slooooooooowly and simply so that it doesn't upset your fragile minds.

Here's me Kate, a working class girl dragged up through the council estates and military bases of a breaking Britain. I didn't have the privileges of nanny making tea for me, and picnics at Ascot. I haven't drank Pimms on the lawn of Buckingham palace as a lot of you have. it was grim, coal fires and beans on toast when we were lucky. A bath once a week, and avoiding the drug pushers and thugs in school halls. The highlight of the week was Coronation street and the daily paper was the Mirror. sometimes we had the Titbits and If I was a really good girl I got to read the Beano.

Now what chance as a child, did I have of understanding the finer points of life? We didn't discuss the odyessy around the dinner table It was, "did you fill the pools in and what won at Aintree", "have you paid the milkman."

How can you jump from that to the collective unconcious without some education???? A university is a center of learning nice professors are there who point out the nuances of literature, history and philosophy. that would otherwise be missed by someone used to reading the bloody BEANO.

I personally, have had my learning advanced by going to Uni. I have nothing against people who didn't go. For me personally it was beneficial. It has enhanced my understanding of life

I have nothing against engineers, carpenters, plumbers, Scorpios Taureans
thick bar stewards on forums, Whatever.

Now the snooty will look down their noses at poor little under privileged Kate.
"The working classes should stay in the gutter where their mediocre intellect belongs."

Too bad I crawled out hahahahahhaaa
You're Educating Rita and I claim my shampoo and set.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You're Educating Rita and I claim my shampoo and set.
More like Rita, Sue, and Bob too.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

But now you're changing the goalposts yet again, Kate. You need to be clear and concise from the very beginning of a debate. You cannot change the wording to suit yourself when you're becoming overwhelmed by retorts.

First you said that university educated people would want to leave Canada because of a lack of culture. Then you said you were leaving because of your financial situation. Then you say that only university educated people can appreciate culture. Then you say only culture centric university educated people can appreciate culture. And now you admit that anybody can appreciate culture but only those with formal education on culture can appreciate it to its fullest.

Oh dear. I'm going to the garage........
Old May 5th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I can't do this multiquote thing so I will do you one at a time.

Is not a university education the pinnacle of education in western society?
So yes, you can be self educated, but a university education has to be so much richer because profs should really know their subjects.
No, that would be Med School. Or maybe Dentists school. Considering how much they charge...
Old May 5th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

This obsession with footnotes you and Oakville! What do they matter it's the content, the central idea that counts...I can't find the original article now so I have no idea about footnotes......How I bloody hated doing the bibliography parts on papers, surely you can understand ideas without having a bloody footnote for everything! I know you both can, because you are both obviously bright.

I don't know where I mentioned the Sun it must have been in a footnote. I agree it's terrible reporting, but I love the headlines. They are composed to enrage the masses.

You are clever Caitlin,but I'm not sure what you are trying to argue about here apart from footnotes.

I'm arguing that articles and posts are far easier to read without footnotes, or with proper footnotes- I don't give a whit which one, but in between is just buggy, to use a technical term. Now if yo uhad have just sayd 'so and so state this in this book' and given the straight paragraph, it would have been a lot more comprehensible, and the lack of proper footnoting wouldn't have jumped out like that.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Godwin!
I wondered how long that would take ;-)
Old May 5th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Well that I can agree on. But the implication in previous posts that it is the only way to gain knowledge, and the implication that without it you are lacking, those are the parts I can't.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Entertaining thread this. I have a BA Hons in Photography Film and Television ('arts degree'). I am about to get an MPhil in Pure and Applied Chemistry ('science masters degree'). I may have a university education from both sides but that certainly doesn't mean I understand all art, or all science! One thing I do know is that my arts degree was full of postmodernist nonsense (not dissimilar to the passage quoted above) which was a complete waste of time (give me the practical work any day). Any subject where you can get high marks by waffling about something you are not sure you understand is a made-up subject. The intricacies of postmodernism is just that.

I'm in the process of emigrating to Canada, where my dream is to leave behind my science-based career for a less well-paid self-employed art and craft life.

I'm not sure I fit into any of Kate's categories
Old May 5th 2010, 9:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81

I'm not sure I fit into any of Kate's categories
Or, for that matter, anyone else's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.