Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

playing VHS tapes in Canada

playing VHS tapes in Canada

Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice
Default playing VHS tapes in Canada

Hello, can I take my Sharp NC60H video recorder/player to Canada with us when we emigrate in April. So I can play our UK VHS tapes? The machine does have an "S-video" socket on the back and we are aware that we would have to buy a voltage converter. No doubt this question has been asked before, but I havn't been on line when it has been answered. Many thanks for any help or advice that some kind person can give us.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 11:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: playing VHS tapes in Canada

You'll need a TV that recognises the tape signal and they cost a fair bit more than ordinary TVs. Or a gadget that coverts them to a recognisable signal - sometimes unreliable results. There's also a converting VHS player but quite costly too.

A UK VCR/TV combo might be a good idea. I came with 2 VCRs and hundreds of tapes. I knew the TV would have to recognise them but I completely forgot.

If you don't have that many VHS tapes, have them converted to disc instead.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:30 am
Just Joined

yogiBC is an unknown quantity at this point

playing VHS videos in canada ,,,you can buy yourself a video player from
www.220-electronics.com it will play pal video cassettes and convert them to NTSC format for your canadian TV
Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

gorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nicegorleen is just really nice

Many thanks to all who have answered. Thanks guys. I'll check it all out.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:09 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

It will easier to digitised them than to use voltage converter and pal to NTSC converters
Go hunt an OSD unit out on eBay, it,ll convert a video stream to a digital file then store it on a USB hard drive
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thank you for that,

please excuse my ignorance, but what is an OSD unit?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Costco can convert your VHS tapes to DVD?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thanks, I've just 'phoned Costco Lethbridge and they want $27.99 per 2 hours, the girl assured me that most tapes are 2 hour tapes, (that's funny, 'cos ours are 3 hour tapes ) and this new service starts tomorrow, Monday 24th. WOW! As we have approx 300 tapes (3 hour ones, that is) lets do the maths, I make that $8400 + tax. and that's only for 2 hours each tape. Yeh, right. That's my pension for the year!! So that's a no-no then. Oh yes, the girl also told me the turn round time is 14 to 17 days.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just buy one of those combined VHS/DVD recorders? My friend used to copy camcorder tapes onto DVD that way, so I presume they can copy VHS to DVD?

Of course, you'll be swapping tapes and disks for the next year if you have 300 you want to keep.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:29 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Can't you just buy one of those combined VHS/DVD recorders? My friend used to copy camcorder tapes onto DVD that way, so I presume they can copy VHS to DVD?

Of course, you'll be swapping tapes and disks for the next year if you have 300 you want to keep.
I have one here. It's a Magnavox (Philips). It was about $135 at Walmart. You can copy VHS to DVD. HID did many of them a few years ago.

I do not know if it will convert UK ones though.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorleen
Great, thanks, I've just 'phoned Costco Lethbridge and they want $27.99 per 2 hours, the girl assured me that most tapes are 2 hour tapes, (that's funny, 'cos ours are 3 hour tapes ) and this new service starts tomorrow, Monday 24th. WOW! As we have approx 300 tapes (3 hour ones, that is) lets do the maths, I make that $8400 + tax. and that's only for 2 hours each tape.
Yep. That's why I suggested a TV/VCR combo. A UK one.

Of course, a lot depends what's on your tapes. You might be surprised what you can replace for less than the special equipment needed or the conversion fees and quite a lot free.

I've downloaded many old TV series such as complete Beiderbecke Trilogy, The Missing Postman, Between the Lines, Gangsters, Holding On, The lakes......

Loads of foreign movies shown on C4 and BBC are available for download or just pay a few bucks for a used or new VHS tape that IS compatible or even DVD.

I regret paying to bring all my tapes over. Even if I'd brought or bought the means to watch I don't think it would have been worth it given how much I have replaced for less than the cost of shipping them.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 23rd 2014 at 6:35 pm.