Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Ontario

Wikiposts

Places to live in Ontario

Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to live in Ontario

Originally Posted by Souvy
OK. The Lac Leamy park is triffic (great place to cycle and ski). The rest of Hull is a toilet.

And Hull isn't a city/town. It's an area of a city.
I was just trying to pull your leg...most of the 'area of the City' known as Hull is a dump in my mind.....there is a nice area around Rue Hanson/Boul. Alexandre-Tache....much of Aylmer is nice, but my impressions of 'Gatineau' along Greber etc aren't too promising.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:36 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I was just trying to pull your leg...most of the 'area of the City' known as Hull is a dump in my mind.....there is a nice area around Rue Hanson/Boul. Alexandre-Tache....much of Aylmer is nice, but my impressions of 'Gatineau' along Greber etc aren't too promising.
The area you mention isn't that nice when you get in to it. It could be but it's run down. We've wandered through it.

I'll agree with you on Aylmer. It has a core.

Greber isn't a great advertisement for Gatineau. Ditto Maloney and Verendrye.

Try taking a look at the Limbour/Cote d'Azur area (up by the Alonzo bridge).

Incidentally, we recently came across a place on Jacques-cartier (east of Lady Aberdeen bridge). It's a bar/restaurant and the only one I can think of that is directly on the river. Nice place ('Pirate').
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:51 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
Can anyone provide info on living in

Toronto
Oshawa
Ottawa?

What do you hate about it/what do you love?

Thanks
Richard
Hi
Toronto - work is supposed to be great there, loads of opportunities. Accommodation - again loads of it, but very built up and multi-cultural. Downs are mainly the traffic - much much worse than the M25 on a Monday morning!
Ottawa - Work is mainly Government work based. Alot of IT based jobs out Kanata way (15mins from downtown). Brilliant place to live, ace bike paths - we personally love winter and summer alike. Resources are amazing, most parks have locally run ice skating rinks (basically they just flood the playing fields!) so many festivals and big events. Always something going on and to do which rarely costs a penny. We LOVE Ottawa.
Downside - living costs incl taxes and house prices can be more expensive depending on your area.
Oshawa - no experience of the place - don't know anyone that has even visited there.....hmmm.....maybe a message there?!
good luck!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:03 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the majority of new immigrants head to Toronto, so there is also fierce competition for those jobs there too, its a double edged sword in my opinion, you are just another face in the crowd there. Smog would be on my con list too. There are of course many festivals etc in Toronto too, more than Ottawa probably, and the winter and summer climate is not as extreme as the Capitals.

Cant really compare Oshawa to either as its much smaller. It does have fairly good links to Toronto though, so a good compromise perhaps, It sort of mirrors GMs fortunes, and at present there are perhaps opportunities there to buy properties for less than elsewhere, as long as you can find a job close enough by that your quality of life isnt compromised by the commute. I have friends that live there, it always struck me as OK, but then they are not in a modern subdivision...

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2010 at 3:11 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:48 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
Hi
Toronto - work is supposed to be great there, loads of opportunities. Accommodation - again loads of it, but very built up and multi-cultural. Downs are mainly the traffic - much much worse than the M25 on a Monday morning!
Live/work in Toronto and take transit? Perfectly possible to live here and not own a car.