Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Halifax

Places to live in Halifax

Old May 12th 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to live in Halifax

Originally Posted by seascape
Just to pick up on the driving, arrived in Halifax yesterday for first time and got swiped by a van I was about to pass who pulled out into my lane without signal or checking his mirrors. Fortunately I managed to brake hard and didn’t get completely crushed into the barrier, but brand new rental has the scars. Afterwards thought of this post I had read just day before!
Sorry to hear that... I hope you and any passengers are ok.

I have to laugh when I hear all the self congratulatory smugness from Canadians about how progressive, polite and nice they are. Deluded is probably the correct adjective because you put them behind the wheel of a car and all thought for other people is left behind at the kerb. It is weird, and it certainly wasn't like this when I first started coming here.
Old May 12th 2018, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Sorry to hear that... I hope you and any passengers are ok.

I have to laugh when I hear all the self congratulatory smugness from Canadians about how progressive, polite and nice they are. Deluded is probably the correct adjective because you put them behind the wheel of a car and all thought for other people is left behind at the kerb. It is weird, and it certainly wasn't like this when I first started coming here.
On this side, we put it down to immigrants not knowing how to drive .................

that may sound racist, but do remember that not even the Brits have to do a road test or prove they know the CANADIAN Rules of the Road.
Old May 12th 2018, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
On this side, we put it down to immigrants not knowing how to drive .................

that may sound racist, but do remember that not even the Brits have to do a road test or prove they know the CANADIAN Rules of the Road.
My mother in law comes off with that nonsense... problem is, Halifax doesn't have a huge amount of recent immigrants.

Looking in the mirror prior to a manoeuvre, I would submit, is a world wide good idea.

That being said, it is also a good idea for an immigrant to get the local highway code and study it. That is what I did.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia's population has increased from about 760,000 to close to 950,000 in the 50 years that we have been here.

BC's population was around 1.8 million in 1968, now it's getting close to 5 million

The population of Canada was around 20 million when we came, it's now over 35 million

Most of the increase is due to immigration as the birth rates have dropped over the years.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Nova Scotia's population has increased from about 760,000 to close to 950,000 in the 50 years that we have been here.

BC's population was around 1.8 million in 1968, now it's getting close to 5 million

The population of Canada was around 20 million when we came, it's now over 35 million

Most of the increase is due to immigration as the birth rates have dropped over the years.
Well, yes, the standard of driving will have improved through immigration but it's improving from a very low base.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, the standard of driving will have improved through immigration but it's improving from a very low base.

I consider that the reverse has happened, at least in BC ........... the standard of driving has decreased over the last 50 years, and most especially over the last 20 or so years.

It was much better when we came than it is now
Old May 13th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

OP, sorry to hijack your thread!

How is Potters lake area for families? I’m in love with the water front home there. Are there any good (English) schools nearby? Is the area safe?
Old May 14th 2018, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Winterdiva
OP, sorry to hijack your thread!

How is Potters lake area for families? I’m in love with the water front home there. Are there any good (English) schools nearby? Is the area safe?
Winterdiva ....... it might be best to open your own thread on this topic ....... the OP is not yet settled in Canada, and you really need responses from people who have lived in NS for some years.

In addition, the OP and partner do not have any children, so schools are not high on their priority!

I don't know why you specify "English" schools ........ I can tell you that almost all schools in NS are "good".