Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Halifax

Places to live in Halifax

Old May 2nd 2018, 10:24 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Places to live in Halifax

Hi, there was a thread not so long ago about family friendly areas of Halifax, but are there any areas that are more suited to young professionals?

We’re about to submit our EE application and are heading out on a holiday / recce trip next week. We’re a couple in our mid-30s with no kids and we’re considering Halifax as our destination to move to next year if our application is successful.

Also, I’ve read that Halifax has a somewhat booming food and drink / nightlife scene at the moment, anyone recommend somewhere nice to go in the evenings?

TIA
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to live in Halifax

Whilst I cant give any advice about areas to live in since I am from the Niagara region of Ontario, my job takes me to Halifax quite often. I can honestly say that Halifax is the closest you'll ever come to the UK style nightlife with loads of bars, clubs and restaurants. Without doubt it is my favourite place to go to in Canada.
My favourite places are the Old triangle, My Fathers Moustache and Durty Nellies. If you fancy seeing some good bands there is the Lower Deck and Cheers bar and grill.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at real estate in the south end of Halifax or some areas of Dartmouth (avoid by the MacDonald Bridge on the Dartmouth side) as the ferry goes back and forth regularly.
Dartmouth has some older style homes that are very quaint. The South side of Halifax is a little more pricey. The north end is more artisan by day and a little more prone to issues at night (Agricola Street).
Halifax is a GREAT place for nightlife. Its small compared to some, but its mighty!
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:45 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

The Bicycle Thief and Hamacchi grill on the waterfront are really good although a little pricey. McKelvies and the Five fishermen are even more pricey and fine dining.
I too love the Lower Deck and there is The Gaan House (restaurant) right by there.
Saltys and Murphys are nice, as is Stayners which often has a live band. Darrells is a little burger joint that does amazing burgers.
Theres often some kind of "week" going on in Halidax. We had burger week not long ago and now its the East Coast Music Awards. They have the rib festival in the summer with ribs from all over N America and the Buskers, to name but a few. Basically the place in the summer seems to be buzzing constantly with some event. This might help you plan:
https://www.novascotia.com/events/fe...&IncludeArea=0
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
The Bicycle Thief and Hamacchi grill on the waterfront are really good although a little pricey. McKelvies and the Five fishermen are even more pricey and fine dining.
[/URL]
Downstairs at the Five Fishermen was reasonably priced, and very good. We weren't dressed for the upstairs (I don't think I own clothes suitable for the upstairs).
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:23 pm

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, thanks everyone.
Old May 3rd 2018, 2:37 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by dbd33
Downstairs at the Five Fishermen was reasonably priced, and very good. We weren't dressed for the upstairs (I don't think I own clothes suitable for the upstairs).
Haha!
Three of us ate upstairs, we each had an appetizer and a main and one glass of wine, the bill was over $200. We went to Tims for dessert :-)
Old May 3rd 2018, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

If you like beer, there are some great places about - Good Robot, Stillwell, Unfiltered and Two Crows. Stillwell does brilliant food as well and their beer lineup changes quite a bit.

I wouldn't say Halifax has a booming nightlife, but it is pretty good, and it has the added bonus of people generally behaving themselves, although one or two of the nightclubs have some dodgey stories coming out of them recently.
Old May 4th 2018, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Celtic Corner Public House in Dartmouth is good. It's on Alderney, almost exactly opposite the ferry terminal.

The Henry House on Barrington Street in Halifax is great, very busy on meal times, plenty of room if you go in just after "rush hour".

Blue Olive Greek Taverna on Quinpool is very good

The Keg on Market Street is a long-standing cross-Canada steak house, with a good reputation ........... and huge meals!
Old May 5th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

some more for you ..............

Le Bistro by Liz, South Park Street, open 11am 10 11 pm. French, also has gluten-free and lactose-free options. Brunch on Sundays

Elements on Hollis, the restaurant in the Westin Nova Scotian, has a great Sunday Brunch, other meals are not that bad either ............. and the bar, Roy's Lounge, is a nice place to go if you want a quiet drink or two, no live music but peaceful.

Do try Maritime dishes, such as salt cod cakes, PEI or Malpaque mussels in a broth, fresh fish, lobster, etc.
Old May 5th 2018, 8:50 am

Thanks again guys. Flying out of Gatwick Monday morning, first visit to Canada since we started the application process. Exciting!
Old May 6th 2018, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Do try Maritime dishes, such as salt cod cakes, PEI or Malpaque mussels in a broth, fresh fish, lobster, etc.
I second that... it is seafood heaven here.
Old May 6th 2018, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I second that... it is seafood heaven here.
In season, you really MUST take a trip to Hall's Harbour on the Bay of Fundy ........ there is a Lobster Pound there.

You choose your live lobster from the tanks, go and find yourself a table outside overlooking the harbour, and then they deliver your freshly killed and cooked lobster.

Heaven with melted butter or with just lemon juice.

They do also make hamburgers for those philistines who don't like lobster or seafood (we have one in our family!)

No point in suggesting it for a trip now as it is out of season, but keep it in mind ........... although I've just noticed the web page that they open on May 12th, afternoons only at first, and close October 9.

Crofty might just have time to nip up through the Annapolis Valley

It is on the Bay of Fundy, which has those incredible tides .............. you can marvel at the boats lying on the mud when the tide is out, and look at the height of the dock!

https://www.hallsharbourlobster.com/

It was always a highlight of our summer/fall trips to NS. Unfortunately (for this purpose), we now only come in the winter.

Last edited by scilly; May 6th 2018 at 11:07 pm.
Old May 7th 2018, 8:40 am

Thanks Scilly, typically we leave Halifax for our next destination on the 11th

Well if our application is successful it will be another place to check out next year!
Old May 7th 2018, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly
In season, you really MUST take a trip to Hall's Harbour on the Bay of Fundy ........ there is a Lobster Pound there.

You choose your live lobster from the tanks, go and find yourself a table outside overlooking the harbour, and then they deliver your freshly killed and cooked lobster.

Heaven with melted butter or with just lemon juice.

They do also make hamburgers for those philistines who don't like lobster or seafood (we have one in our family!)

No point in suggesting it for a trip now as it is out of season, but keep it in mind ........... although I've just noticed the web page that they open on May 12th, afternoons only at first, and close October 9.

Crofty might just have time to nip up through the Annapolis Valley

It is on the Bay of Fundy, which has those incredible tides .............. you can marvel at the boats lying on the mud when the tide is out, and look at the height of the dock!

https://www.hallsharbourlobster.com/

It was always a highlight of our summer/fall trips to NS. Unfortunately (for this purpose), we now only come in the winter.
Sounds great. Thank you... I have found a number of nice seafood places on the Fundy side of things. I will be sure to look this one up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.