Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places to live in BC please !

Places to live in BC please !

Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Places to live in BC please !

Actually - Forget Vancouver Island, I'll stick to Port Moody. lol
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:28 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
Actually - Forget Vancouver Island, I'll stick to Port Moody. lol
Scouring the internet is not going to help you in the least searching for somewhere to live, it may make matters worse. You ask for opinions and you will get some, but just a few (especially compared to how many people actually live in a town), is this enough to base your decision on? My own experience of MR, PC, PM & CO has not bee that bad if you choose the right part of town. Lots of people seem to want to go to Vancouver, North & West are OK, Eastside is not so good, you just avoid the bad areas.

There is no substitute for actually going there and looking for yourself. Have you visited any of these places yet? If not and you have a job to come to, then why not stay in a motel for a few weeks, not much fun (we did it) but it gives you time to figure out what you like.

There are some really nice towns in BC, but depending on what you do, there is not always a lot to keep you occupied. What suits one may not suit another.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Thanks Surrey Expat - Yep I do realise that by scouring through the net isn't going to make a perfect decision and that we will need to visit these places to get the real feel for it, but I was just trying to concentrate on afew towns/cities to narrow the list down. Nothing's definate, just a rough guide in which towns to see.

Well, I'm giving it a rest for abit. I'm tired
Old Jul 26th 2008, 3:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
I think i've been well and truly put off by MR now, it seems afew people have mentioned similar prob's, one inparticular Eeek !!
Originally Posted by startwin
It's your choice, but I have to wonder what an earth someone said to put you off Maple Ridge so quickly. I like it fine,
Well quite. I have to wonder why the person who has given the OP such negative information about Maple Ridge has chosen to do so by PM, rather than posting their opinions for us all to agree or disagree with.

To the OP. The chances of selecting a place from the internet that turns out to be your ideal place to live is pretty slim. At first, chose somewhere that is convenient for work, rent for a year, then explore and make your own mind up.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:24 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is.

You can sit on your deck in Gibsons and look over the sound at the good folks of West Van secure in the knowledge that:

a) you have a better view than they have

b) you paid at least a fifth of the price for your home than they did.
lol.....absolutley.....x
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me the best thing to do would be to rent a house first. Pick an area. See how you like it. Once you're there you can drive around and get to know different places and then when you decide which place you like the best, you can buy a house. Its like everyone says, what suits one person doesn't suit the next person and it must be almost impossible to decide from so far away.

After all, if you rent a house and you hate the area, you at least are in BC and can check everything out -- everything that you and you family want in a residential area.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Oh yep, we were never going to buy straight away. We we are always looking to rent for a couple of years beforehand.

It was the children I was most worried about, even when renting a place you have to be in the catchment areas of schools, and see,.. I didn't fancy swapping the kids schooling around, just thought it abit unfair on them, but I guess I can't be expected to get everything right.