Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Originally Posted by not2old
Would that be at the hockey arena, while ice fishing or when the power goes out for a week in the winter - then at -30c outside, it does feel cold inside the house. Back up generators to the ready, stoke the wood burning fireplace, all warm as toast.

Molson Golden or Labatts Blue?

And what about the power outages that happen, or when the schools are closed due to inclement weather.

For as long as I have lived here, I cannot recall there being any forest fires or Tornadoes in the Toronto area - maybe in Barrie though.

All of the above? (Seriously!) (But not in the GTA). You forgot torrential rain & biblical flooding...

oink to the ready with another (pork) sausage or fish tale
I thought about referencing Oink...
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I think, indirectly and reading between the lines, that this individual is secretly trying to tell us that they don't have a decent Hooters like establishment in their neighbourhood and therefore it does not feel like home.
If that was @ me, then you're wrong. Eat your heart out. Or eat out anything available.

Life has moved on since you found yourself in the wasteland of Toronto.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

All of the above? (Seriously!) (But not in the GTA). You forgot torrential rain & biblical flooding...
add in the odd earthquake, which should let the OP feel right at home [Christchurch reference']

switched on...

Not to mention to have JamesM jump in on the lore of the foreverToronto (GTA) commute transit breakdowns , or the major 400 series highways shut downs due to the 40 - 50 or so vehicle pile up's

As the threads twist & turn as they usually do, this beats the ever-so w(h)ine of NZ or OZ building irregularities - minus the on line BE experts of cheese & pork
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If that was @ me, then you're wrong. Eat your heart out. Or eat out anything available.
what about a Gorgonzola Grilled Cheese sarnie with a glass of shiraz
Old Sep 27th 2015, 9:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

add in the odd earthquake, which should let the OP feel right at home [Christchurch reference']

switched on...

Not to mention to have JamesM jump in on the lore of the foreverToronto (GTA) commute transit breakdowns , or the major 400 series highways shut downs due to the 40 - 50 or so vehicle pile up's

As the threads twist & turn as they usually do, this beats the ever-so w(h)ine of NZ or OZ building irregularities - minus the on line BE experts of cheese & pork
Ooh, the unintentional irony. Although it should be Christ Church.

Figure it out for yourself.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:01 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Life has moved on since you found yourself in the wasteland of Toronto.
Certainly the hangovers don't get any easier but the girls come and go. You miss some more than others. The sweet potato fries stay the same! Do they get those in New Zealand?

I don't think I've aimed anything at you for quite some time.

You didn't have a particularly long commute when you were in this part of the world either.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

switched on...
That's a sense one looses when they move to Canada. The ability to spot sarcasm written or verbal

Irony is lost here.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

My commute in Toronto has been a twenty minute walk the last 4 years. I am lucky that I have the luxury of not needing much space to live in so can live downtown. One of the things that keeps me here.
on that 'living in the city' commute. Our son lives at Vaughan/St Clair.The distance to the core to where he works is 4.7km, which, according to google maps is approx 16 minute travel time. From leaving his apartment to boarding the street car, changing to the subway (undergound rail) he reckons the travel time is 30 - 40 minutes (without transit breakdowns). Go figure that one out
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

on that 'living in the city' commute. Our son lives at Vaughan/St Clair.The distance to the core to where he works is 4.7km, which, according to google maps is approx 16 minute travel time. From leaving his apartment to boarding the street car, changing to the subway (undergound rail) he reckons the travel time is 30 - 40 minutes (without transit breakdowns). Go figure that one out
I feel his pain. It's taken me longer to do journeys on transit over shorter distances.

If I rode the Street Car to work the journey time is the same as if I walk. I'm just marginally less sweaty in the summer and marginally warmer in the winter.

It's not worth the money and I like the "fresher" air and exercise. Another 15 minutes though and I would have to "Ride The Rocket".

Streetcars are more problem than solution in my opinion.

I'm weighing up moving neighbourhood but your son's situation prays on my mind.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

That's a sense one looses when they move to Canada. The ability to spot sarcasm written or verbal

Irony is lost here.
issue for me, is being away from the UK for 48 years, having lived in other countries, travelled to some hell holes (exclude Hooters) & knowing anything British (other than being on BE) is as foreign as a Hooters bar or a church
Old Sep 27th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, the unintentional irony. Although it should be Christ Church.

Figure it out for yourself.
Well there's a more than usually subtle thread twist!! "House" building included ...
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:46 am
Dive Bar Drunk

issue for me, is being away from the UK for 48 years, having lived in other countries, travelled to some hell holes (exclude Hooters) & knowing anything British (other than being on BE) is as foreign as a Hooters bar or a church
I vacationed to Italy and Czech Republic this year.

I realised I looked North American by the way the street pedlars were targeting me.

It's hard to go back to Britain and elbow your way to the bar when you are used to table service.

I remember ordering a mojito in an exclusive Mayfair bar and watching them butcher making it. It's just not a proper career over there.

Going back would be like moving to a foreign country for me as well for a good 12 months in many ways and that is just 6 years being in Canada.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

oink to the ready with another (pork) sausage or fish tale
I come across as that much of a dick?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

I avoided this point previously with respect to the visa application

Now to the Canadian sarcasm from me, no, call it my sense of humour

I gather that one or both of you have lived & worked in Canada previously, if that be correct, then all the questions in your OP & through the thread discussions have been for nort?

That you already knew most everything from being here in Canada in the past, that all of the Canadian housing points & comparisons to OZ & NZ (your whinge) you have that information or knowledge from other websites, community forums & your Canadian friends?

Was there anything that I or others have posted or provided in the last few pages or links that you weren't already aware of?
I've spent some time in Canada and have travelled around several provinces. Family in Hamilton, you see. Sadly we're not closely enough related for any kind of family sponsorship. They acquired British citizenship very easily but we'd have to jump through more hoops to do the same in reverse - go figure!

No, we do not have Canadian work experience, however as I've mentioned already, we've already established that it would be pretty easy and straightforward for us to get a work visa and transfer via one of our employers, and that would get us the required 12 months experience, not to mention an opportunity to live there for a while and decide for certain whether it's worth considering appplying for PR. However it's quite different moving there with the potential to stay long term as opposed to moving shorter term for a work contract with an end date, as this impacts on kids and their education, what we do about a vehicle and even whether or not we dispose of some of our electrical items.

Sarcasm aside, I do actually want the nitty gritty and all the dirt from people who have some perspective of living in other places too, as long as the information I'm getting is not exaggerated. When you go somewhere for a visit, you are somehow completely blind to loads of stuff and then when you move there later you wonder why the hell you didn't notice it all.
Some of my friends from Canada are still very enamoured with the fact that you can grow a lemon tree in your garden down under. Other than comiserating with us Brits, Europeans and Americans about how damn cold our respective antipodean houses have been over winter, our perspectives about various other things are quite different. For example one the things some of my Canadian and American friends seem to be especially bothered by is the size of houses here. They think they are small and bemoan the lack of a basement. Being British, we think houses here are pretty damn big. My South African friends, for the most part anyway, seem to think that NZ and Australia are almost a utopia, because they find is so much safer here and they are more relaxed as a result. They often don't even seem to notice or be especially bothered by anything housing related, because their improved quality of life outweighs any change in standard of living many times over.

Last edited by Pine Cone; Sep 28th 2015 at 8:03 am.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

No different anywhere though is it? All these journey planning websites take absolutely no consideration of how long you spend standing still, whether it be in the pouring rain waiting for that bus that is running late, on a crowded station platform when the last train was so full you were forced to wait for the next one, for the 3 hours you have to spend sitting around a boring airport waiting for that one hour long flight or just sitting on the M25 (insert any other major road here)in gridlocked traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.