Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Old Sep 26th 2015, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pong Poms - Canada vs NZ, Australia or UK

Originally Posted by Shard
It's just housing. You seem overly obsessed with it.
Yes, but it's better than being obsessed with the price of cheese or wine.

I would not be anywhere near as obsessed if I was looking to move from the UK having never lived anywhere else. One tends to assume all westernised countries have reasonably equivalent housing stock for a particular age of structure, albeit with a few local quirks and differences. It's become a point of some obsession because I now know otherwise and I haven't enjoyed the experience.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
And you want to move to Toronto?
Ah, but all daily commutes are not equal!
Old Sep 26th 2015, 5:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Yes, perhaps I have a bee in my bonnet more than other might because we've worked so damn hard for our money and to build assets in order to set ourselves up with some degree of security that we didn't have growing up. We don't come from priviledged background. In fact not even close and we'll never inherit anything.
I think most on here can relate to that, especially those from the working class council estate that have done better for themselves living here compared to the UK or anywhere else they may have come from.

We've made some serious lifestyle sacrifices early in our adult lives as well as sensible financial decisions, wise carefully considered investments and we live a reasonably frugal, environmentally concious (as far as is affordable) lives because we don't want to buy into mindless consumerism and the 'bigger is better' mentality that is creeping into western culture.

With all of the above in mind, there is also the fact that climatically appropriate shelter, is a basic need that sits right up there along with nourishing food and access to medical care.

Being comfortably warm and dry has a major impact on my overall wellbeing, my health and enjoyment of life. I want to live somewhere that I can afford to heat my whole house efficiently to an indoor temperature that reaches WHO guidelines,
Seems like you are savvy & wise investors that have had some luck along the way & have preserved your capital well, although the GTA can be a mindless consumerism existance for most, but its likely you can work around that.

With enough of a downpayment or a smallish mortgage you should be able to get a semi or detached property [even a fixer upper or duplex income property even better] somewhere in the GTA in the $500k - $600k range, although many folks cannot even imagine getting on the property ladder in that price range.

Most all of the GTA housing is comfortably warm - it has too be given the wide climate range we have here. Only issue is the utility bills to have that comfort in the winter & summer.

Last edited by not2old; Sep 26th 2015 at 5:49 pm. Reason: edited
Old Sep 26th 2015, 5:29 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

An oldie but a goodie, have you established your eligibility to gain a visa for PR status in the first place? It seems to be pretty tricky these days, judging from what people on here are posting.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 7:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
An oldie but a goodie, have you established your eligibility to gain a visa for PR status in the first place? It seems to be pretty tricky these days, judging from what people on here are posting.

that might be on hold for the moment for the OP

For the OP, the continuing info on the GTA & Canada

page 2 onwards in the following thread, info & discussion posted by BE members on the cost of things

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...-spend-845708/

For Toronto Ontario, the Ontario Dental Association fee schedule. One example of the dental costs from a dentist website

Fee Guide, Dentist - Summerville Dental office - Toronto, On
Old Sep 26th 2015, 9:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but all daily commutes are not equal!
True. I've done both Toronto and London and I'd not want to do GTA commute long term, especially through winter.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
True. I've done both Toronto and London and I'd not want to do GTA commute long term, especially through winter.
Do you mind me asking how far away you were travelling into London from and how that compares to where you are in relation to Toronto? We've lived just outside the M25 and that took about an 75 minutes to get into central London, whereas when we moved an hours drive further north it only took 90 minutes by mainline train. We've needed to commute from even further away when once of us was working elsewhere in the UK, and that resulted in 2.5 hrs each way. It was not sustainable long term of course.

I'm told that commuting times (always by public transport - we are not daft enough to ever consider commuting by car into a large urban area) during winter can result is much longer journey times. How true is this? I've been tentatively investigating suburbs with subway access within walking distance.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old

For Toronto Ontario, the Ontario Dental Association fee schedule. One example of the dental costs from a dentist website

Fee Guide, Dentist - Summerville Dental office - Toronto, On
Thanks for the link. I'm actually quite surprised by how cheap those indicative prices are compared to both NZ and Australia, where root canals and crowns are in the $1000-$2000 range and a simple extraction will cost about $400. From all the posts complaining about the costs of dentistry I has assumed it was more expensive than this, or are these prices unusually cheap? That doesn't stop me thinking whistfully about the affordability of NHS densitry of course.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

I think most on here can relate to that, especially those from the working class council estate that have done better for themselves living here compared to the UK or anywhere else they may have come from.
Absolutely, and I'm eternally grateful that we were able to go to Uni at a time when full grants and free tuition was still available, so our resulting student debt level was manageable and paid off within 5 years. That gave us opportunities that would never had existed otherwise.

Seems like you are savvy & wise investors that have had some luck along the way & have preserved your capital well, although the GTA can be a mindless consumerism existance for most, but its likely you can work around that.
We've made calculated risks which have paid off, so in that respect we've been lucky. We lived an extreme version of frugality after leaving uni as we didn't have he option of moving back in with family, and as a result were motivated to get on the property ladder fairly early, despite relatively low earnings due to finishing uni at a time of economic depression. We've then moved up the property ladder by obsessively (yes, it's a trait of mine) watching the property makets and buying and selling at the right time.

Mindless consumerism exists everywhere, and mostly we just ignore it. We're living in the smallest house on our street. It still has 4 bedrooms and is plenty big enough for us and our tribe. We have no desire for a second lounge, more bedrooms than we already use, or more bathrooms that I'd then have to spend time cleaning. We drive the same family car we've owned for over 8 years and will run it until we either leave down under or it is uneconomical to keep. I do recognise that some locations would neccesitate a small second car, and we'd certainly need that if we moved back to the UK. We also avoid shopping malls unless we actually need something.

With enough of a downpayment or a smallish mortgage you should be able to get a semi or detached property [even a fixer upper or duplex income property even better] somewhere in the GTA in the $500k - $600k range, although many folks cannot even imagine getting on the property ladder in that price range.
We'd definitely need a mortgage, as we've got about $350k-$400k for a downpayment and I don't think that would go especially far if we decide to live in Toronto itself in a nicer suburb. Yes, we have seen properties we could buy outright, but each one we've looked at has had some serious negative in terms of location and I think that is a compromise we're not wanting to make anymore. Location everytime, even if that means the worst house on the best street. Also detatched property only, with a few exceptions. That has always been one of our most important purchasing criteria as we have a strong need for personal space.

Most all of the GTA housing is comfortably warm - it has too be given the wide climate range we have here. Only issue is the utility bills to have that comfort in the winter & summer.
That is relieving to hear. In NZ it is quite possible (even in a modern house) to spend $600+ pcm just to heat one or two roots to a lukewarm 16-17 degrees over the winter with a spaceheater, and still have the rest of the house much colder. Even with a heatpump (wall mounted aircon air sourced unit) it can cost $300-$400 pcm to provide marginally better heating and still have cool rooms which don't benefit from the warm airflow. I would expect to be paying that much in sub-zero weather but not somewhere that doesn't even get all that cold. It's less of an issue in Aussie of course, since it is warmer here. We have whole-house reverse-cycle aircon, set to heat if the temp goes below a very balmy 20.5 degrees and cooling if it goes above 27 degrees. I don't think we've had a monthly electricity bill of more than $400 to date.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 6:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

In NZ it is quite possible (even in a modern house) to spend $600+ pcm just to heat one or two roots to a lukewarm 16-17 degrees over the winter with a spaceheater, and still have the rest of the house much colder. Even with a heatpump (wall mounted aircon air sourced unit) it can cost $300-$400 pcm to provide marginally better heating and still have cool rooms which don't benefit from the warm airflow.
Crikey!

You really should have thought it through more when you built.

Flopbook style. Sorry but I simply must share this on the NZ forum.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Crikey!

You really should have thought it through more when you built.

Flopbook style. Sorry but I simply must share this on the NZ forum.

Feel free to share by all means, but bear in mind this example is not from our own house. It's certainly be useful to new migrants who have no idea what they are looking for in a potential home.

The first example is from the 7 year old house we naiively rented when we first arrived in NZ, and it was built to the old specs, so didn't have the benefit of double glazing. With tiny tots and a medical condition to deal with, we were forced to use space heaters (with thermostats and timers, not left on all the time) to keep the room temperatures up above single-digits. Boy were our electricity bills a shock, as was the requirement to mop up copious amounts of condensation from windows for 5 months of the year.

The second example is actually from the one year old house we rented for a brief time after selling up. It was built to comply with the new regs, and insulated to meet those requirements with a slightly over-specked (for the house sq m area) heatpump in the main living area. The bedrooms never got above 15 degrees all winter, and were often down to 8 degrees in the mornings, even with the doors left open to keep the air flowing. You could argue that 15 degrees is fine, but it's not remotely OK when you are dealing with certain medical conditions and it's certainly below WHO guidelines. And this is for a new house, build by a supposedly reputable builder with a 7 year master builders guarantee!!

Our very last house in the UK, bog standard new build, maintained an ambient temperature of 17 degrees for 2 days when we had a power cut and no heating in early February.

Last edited by Pine Cone; Sep 27th 2015 at 8:49 am.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 12:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

We're living in the smallest house on our street. It still has 4 bedrooms and is plenty big enough for us and our tribe. We have no desire for a second lounge, more bedrooms than we already use, or more bathrooms that I'd then have to spend time cleaning. We drive the same family car we've owned for over 8 years and will run it until we either leave down under or it is uneconomical to keep. I do recognise that some locations would neccesitate a small second car, and we'd certainly need that if we moved back to the UK. We also avoid shopping malls unless we actually need something.

We'd definitely need a mortgage, as we've got about $350k-$400k for a down payment and I don't think that would go especially far if we decide to live in Toronto itself in a nicer suburb. Location everytime, even if that means the worst house on the best street. Also detached property only, with a few exceptions. That has always been one of our most important purchasing criteria as we have a strong need for personal space.

That is relieving to hear. In NZ it is quite possible (even in a modern house) to spend $600+ pcm just to heat one or two roots to a lukewarm 16-17 degrees over the winter with a spaceheater, and still have the rest of the house much colder. Even with a heatpump (wall mounted aircon air sourced unit) it can cost $300-$400 pcm to provide marginally better heating and still have cool rooms which don't benefit from the warm airflow. I would expect to be paying that much in sub-zero weather but not somewhere that doesn't even get all that cold. It's less of an issue in Aussie of course, since it is warmer here. We have whole-house reverse-cycle aircon, set to heat if the temp goes below a very balmy 20.5 degrees and cooling if it goes above 27 degrees. I don't think we've had a monthly electricity bill of more than $400 to date.
based on your latest info, I shall put my neck out on this.

Within a one-hour commute to Toronto central by transit. A resale detached brick property not less than 2000 sq ft, double garage, 4 bedrooms with a finished basement on a 35 ft to 40ft frontage x 120 ft deep lot with zero work needed on it in the $600k -$650k, property tax ~$4800 yr. Property comes with stove, fridge, built in dishwasher, washer & dryer & all window coverings (blinds, curtains & drapes) & light fixtures (light bulbs included).

Just move in with the furniture that you have or need to buy. Some properties one is able to negotiate some furnishings or buy from the seller.

Mortgage rates

Best Mortgage Interest Rates - Find Today's Lowest Variable & Fixed Rates

Utilities (natural gas, electricity & municipal water & sewer) for that type of house & a family of five across 12 months, average $350/mth with the internal temperature in all rooms of 21C in the winter, in the summer the AC set at 25C. A Forced air natural gas High efficiency furnace with AC unit built in are all in the basement, One thermostat control somewhere on the main floor

An example from one supplier

the right size of air conditioner and furnace for my house

Cable TV, Internet, phones will depend on what you need or have. See & make your package in the link below

Bundles| Multiple Incredible Services |Rogers

Phone lines, Home phone plans & packages | Bell Canada

A used 4 -8 year old family vehicle in the $10k - $15k

Furnish the house for ~$20k to $25k. With the basic essentials in the Bedrooms, kitchen, dining room & lounge (family room). TV, computers extra.

Leon’s – Canada’s Top Furniture, Appliance & More Store | Leon's

The Brick

Last edited by not2old; Sep 27th 2015 at 1:07 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 12:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

selection of sold properties.

http://v3.torontomls.net/Live/Pages/...=TREB#N3309182

http://v3.torontomls.net/Live/Pages/...=TREB#E3308281

http://v3.torontomls.net/Live/Pages/...=TREB#E3315308

http://v3.torontomls.net/Live/Pages/...=TREB#W3313914
Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but it's better than being obsessed with the price of cheese or wine..
You *do* realize that w(h)ine & cheese references are somewhat ironic/sarcastic "in-jokes" around here, don't you? ...
Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You *do* realize that w(h)ine & cheese references are somewhat ironic/sarcastic "in-jokes" around here, don't you? ...
cough, splutter, choke ..... you are so polite at times

When the OP gets to Canada, its my opinion she will find the true north 'whinging poms' are alive & well here.

I get the impression that the Canadian forum is a lot different than the OZ. NZ or UK forums when it comes to w(h)ine & cheese - well at least we have 'hockey night in Canada' to fall back on if there isn't anything else to whinge about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.