Reload this Page >

Picking up Goods from Halifax

Picking up Goods from Halifax

Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Daveckj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Picking up Goods from Halifax

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny this for me. We have been told by our shipping agent/company that we cannot pick up our own goods from the port in Halifax and that it has to be done by an approved agent in Canada.

Is this true? They have said that if we want to go to Halifax to get our goods we would need to arrange for an official agent to remove them from the docks to a warehouse where we would then need to pay for them to remove from the docks be unloaded into their warehouse and then pay again to get them released for us to load them into our hired lorry.

Apparently it is cheaper and easier to have our shipping agent deliver it to our door in Canada - another £1800

Thoughts

DaveJ
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking up Goods from Halifax

That's correct - you can't pick them up from the port. They need to be cleared through customs and this needs to be done by an agent. We were able to pick our goods up from the agent's warehouse. We had to pay someone else to pick them up and deliver them to our house.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc2015
That's correct - you can't pick them up from the port. They need to be cleared through customs and this needs to be done by an agent. We were able to pick our goods up from the agent's warehouse. We had to pay someone else to pick them up and deliver them to our house.
Thanks for that. That is essentially what the shipping agent was saying to us.Are well.ThanksDaveJ
Old Sep 29th 2015, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Really? (I'm not doubting you, btw). Is this specific to Halifax? Or a new(ish) Canada-wide rule?

It's been a while, & although unusual & it wasn't always exactly easy, but I've done my own customs clearance & port pick-up (Montreal) in the past.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Really? (I'm not doubting you, btw). Is this specific to Halifax? Or a new(ish) Canada-wide rule?

It's been a while, & although unusual & it wasn't always exactly easy, but I've done my own customs clearance & port pick-up (Montreal) in the past.
This was my experience in Vancouver.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 6:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I cleared mine for customs but had to have a 3rd party go into the bonded warehouse to get them released and collect the items. This wasn't for a full container though, so it may be different if you have one.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah mine was part-load also.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all,

ours is for a full container. The War Office has made an executive decision to have it delivered to the door anyway...so that is that then!

DaveJ