Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Haggle over job offer

Haggle over job offer

Old Oct 1st 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default Haggle over job offer

Hello all, I have received a job offer and the holiday entitlement is 10 days.
Is this something you can negotiate ?
The job is with a big bank so wasn't sure how flexible they would be.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haggle over job offer

You can certainly haggle if you don't like the terms of employment.
Do you really want the job or prepared to say No to their terms and carry on.
How many other qualified applicants are in line for the job and will accept their terms?
You won't know till you try.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

I would like the job so didn't want to push my luck.
I'm not sure of how many people in line but went for the interview Friday afternoon and was told I wouldn't hear anything for about 2 weeks, I received the job offer on Monday.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
I would like the job so didn't want to push my luck.
I'm not sure of how many people in line but went for the interview Friday afternoon and was told I wouldn't hear anything for about 2 weeks, I received the job offer on Monday.
The gamble is you negotiate and the job goes to someone else, or you get the extra leave. Also depends on the seniority of the position. The more senior the more negotiation is possible.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 6:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Highly unlikely they'll remove the offer due to you asking for more vacation allowance.

10 days is appalling, so there's nothing wrong with asking.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the offer is what is minimum. Had the offer stated something such as 'after 5 years you get 3 weeks (15 days) vacation'?

Annual Vacations - Pamphlet 3 - Labour Standards - Labour Program

As an example, for Ontario

Vacation | Ministry of Labour
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:55 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Just ask if there's any room for negotiation on the vacation time. My first job offer in Canada they offered me 10 days and a certain salary. Straight away I said I want 15 days and another $5k and they said OK straight away without further discussion.
If they give you only 10 days and you don't negotiate for more, they could actually see that as a bad sign of your character and may even think they can take advantage of you in the future.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't negotiate and really wish I had. I was so excited about being offered a job that I really wanted that I took whatever they offered - fortunately the pay was excellent and I have been given several excellent raises since starting.
I since found out that a few people hired over the past few years negotiated their holiday and have 3 weeks - so I am kicking myself. I was going to use it in pay rise negotiations this year, but they gave me 4% - so guess I will have to make do for now and use it for next years negotiations.
I think it is acceptable to ask if there is room for manoeuvre with vacation before accepting.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely it's worth asking the question. A big bank (especially one that does business in Europe) will be well used to the difference in "standard" vacation allowances between European and North American employees. Shoot for 4 weeks, be prepared to settle for 3, but probably wise to pitch it as an enquiry rather than a dictation of terms, that way you won't jeopardize the whole offer if the answer is an unequivocal 'no.'