Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

personal experiences of Ontario please.

personal experiences of Ontario please.

Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:47 pm
Stress Junkie

martyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud of
Default Re: personal experiences of Ontario please.

Originally Posted by Dashie
Ha! We still haven't got used to the fact that Delhi is pronounce Del-high. Are you tied to anywhere particular for work? What other requirements do you have?
I'm not tied to anywhere but we really like the look of the area. The house prices seem much more realistic than here in Weyburn and it's way closer to a half decent international airport. I wouldn't mind doing the same job as I have here which is working for the city's works department. So emails need to be sent. Lol.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

You've got quite a bit of choice then We've flown from Detroit, London and Toronto before, although the money saving from Detroit wasn't really worth the hassle at the border for us. Might be better now we're Canadian citizens I suppose. Lots of cities/municipalities you can look at and go from there I guess!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:56 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martyjay
Thanks everyone for your replies. we have also been looking at the south west Ontario region as a whole so any thoughts on Chatham-Kent (still find it weird having such familiar English place names in Canada ) etc would be helpful too.
Pretty common around SW Ontario.

Look at the county and city names.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I have, I wasn't being stupid about it either just makes me smile.
So not really weird then?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:05 am
Stress Junkie

martyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud ofmartyjay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bats
So not really weird then?
Did someone put salt on your sugar puffs?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I live close to the Essex area, and it is a decent place to live for most people. (not me, I hate it here :P) House prices aren't horrendous like Toronto, there is decent shopping, and Toronto and Detroit international airports are almost a stone's throw away from you. Work is fairly easy to find, especially if you are looking to work for the city like you said. Where I am they always need people to work for the city.

BUT, it is boring to live here. There isn't very good party/nightlife (not sure if you're into that.) , and its a bit of a chore to get around London as they never bothered to build a city-wide expressway (which they badly need)

And, there's old man winter, and his seeping into the supposed "autumn" and "spring" we have here, but IMHO its more like summer 2.5-3 mos of the year, 1.5-2 months of hybrid summer/winter, 6 months of pure hell (ie - winter), then another month of hybrid. Rinse, dry and repeat.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(This is my biggest reason for not liking living in Canada!)

But coming from Sask it might be a welcome change, as others have said.

All in all though, if you can deal with the cons it's a good place to live. In my case I cant, so I hate it.

Kenora on the other hand, I bet you can judge my opinion on that one without me saying anything!
(Disclaimer: I strongly dislike living in Canada so my opinions are more than slightly biased, but in my humble opinion, true.)
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Kenora is a beautiful place , sadly the "locals" turn it into a war zone after dark , avoid .
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Kenora is a beautiful place , sadly the "locals" turn it into a war zone after dark , avoid .
That's interesting. My neighbour in Toronto played in bar bands across north America for fifty years, often in Stompin' Tom's band. He's been about a bit. He said the roughest place he played was the Wawa Motor Inn (insert obligatory Blues Brothers reference).

Is it fair to think of all the towns of northern Ontario as being frightening at night?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
You've got quite a bit of choice then We've flown from Detroit, London and Toronto before, although the money saving from Detroit wasn't really worth the hassle at the border for us. Might be better now we're Canadian citizens I suppose. Lots of cities/municipalities you can look at and go from there I guess!
Ha! I travel regularly between the US and Canada and the land border is usually a hassle. If it's not a delay then it's some sourpuss, smartass immigration officer - usually both. And I have Canadian and US citizenship! If these people hate their jobs so much, I really wish they'd go find a new one.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
I was going to mention I went there one day for an air display and noticed alot of bums hanging about I thought maybe just a one-off lol
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:45 pm
Stress Junkie

Thanks for the info guys. We are considering something in the rural area around Chatham probably around ridgetown/ridgeway ( the name escapes me at the moment). I think kenora is definitely a bust.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

luckyduckie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ridgetown is another nice little area of the county. It's further out but I still liked it there too the few times I had been.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Ha! I travel regularly between the US and Canada and the land border is usually a hassle. If it's not a delay then it's some sourpuss, smartass immigration officer - usually both. And I have Canadian and US citizenship! If these people hate their jobs so much, I really wish they'd go find a new one.
They're always so grumpy aren't they? Good to know it's not likely to improve with a blue little book
Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone put salt on your sugar puffs?
Does seem that way doesn't it?