Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The perfect location to live in canada

The perfect location to live in canada

Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:42 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The perfect location to live in canada

Originally Posted by Linda P
Edmonton

Linda
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:47 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
I would say one of the smaller communities 25 minutes outside Calgary, Cochrane, Okotoks, High River. All these places would meet your requirements and are fantastic places to live. Sam
I would ask what speeds you drive at
I live in the NW of Calgary and it takes me 25 minutes to DT Or 10 minutes (min) to cochrane ergo 30 Minutes AT LEAST to DT from Cochrane.
Similarly you cant hit DT calgary in 25 minutes from Shawnessy or McKenzie so god alone knows how you expect to do it from Okotoks never mind High River
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi,

I worked in the centre of downtown Calgary for 15 months and commuted from my home in Okotoks. It used to take me between 35 and 40 minutes from door to door (sticking to the speed limits). I would use the Deerfoot Trail, and then take Memorial Drive West.

The Deerfoot runs to the east of the city, and the Macleod Trail runs into the centre of downtown. I have used the Macleod Trail at times, but it takes a little longer due to the amount of junctions and traffic lights.

Yes of course it takes a little longer to get into the city centre from the satellite towns, but for me the commute is well worth it because I really like the community I live in. The commute from Okotoks was never an issue with me, but personally I would not want to be any further out than say High River, if I had to commute into downtown. This is a personal opinion though as some people have absolutely no issues with commuting from much further afield!

Hope this helps, Eddie
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:25 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Ain't that the truth
Yeah but you can eat what crawls on them there mountains lovely squirrel/rabbit stew or nice hunk of white-tailed deer
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Yeah but you can eat what crawls on them there mountains lovely squirrel/rabbit stew or nice hunk of white-tailed deer
Bear Sausage?
Elk Burger?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:07 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Bear Sausage?
Elk Burger?
Sounds good, and throw in a bit of Branston pickle for a gourmet version.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:09 am
Banned

Sounds good, and throw in a bit of Branston pickle for a gourmet version.
I am ashamed to say that I have eaten both (The bear was in romania)
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:21 am
Happy in NB

I am ashamed to say that I have eaten both (The bear was in romania)
Why ashamed?

I absolve thee from eating winnie the pooh and elk thingie (quick wave of the arms in a strange golden arches motion)
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallace
Hi,

I worked in the centre of downtown Calgary for 15 months and commuted from my home in Okotoks. It used to take me between 35 and 40 minutes from door to door (sticking to the speed limits). I would use the Deerfoot Trail, and then take Memorial Drive West.
What time of day were you travelling ? I can't get from Somerset C-Train station to downtown in less than 30 mins and the train stops for nowt !!

The intersection of Deerfoot and Memorial to downtown can take 30 mins on a not too bad day
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:53 pm
Banned

Why ashamed?

I absolve thee from eating winnie the pooh and elk thingie (quick wave of the arms in a strange golden arches motion)
Cos they is cute 'cuddly' things.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Wow - 3hrs? - I think that'd be pretty quick for the winter time! It generally takes us 5 hrs to drive to Edmonton and we're an hour past Jasper, so it would take us 4hrs to travel between Jasper & Edmonton in good driving conditions. You're upper estimate matches our experience as the roads are generally pretty good, even in the Winter.
We have travelled for the last two years from Edmonton to Jasper for skiing and we took between 3 to 4 hours. We now live in Sherwood Park, so that is a little closer, but still falls between that time frame. This is a steady run with a stop at Gasoline Alley.

Our friends that were following us got there in 2.5 hours, but knowing them they broke all speed limits, and we prefer to arrive safely.

Linda
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What time of day were you travelling ? I can't get from Somerset C-Train station to downtown in less than 30 mins and the train stops for nowt !!

The intersection of Deerfoot and Memorial to downtown can take 30 mins on a not too bad day
Hi,

I spent 26 weeks training downtown, and then spent 9 months working downtown with the Calgary Police Service. Obviously being on shift work my travel times varied considerably.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 4:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda P
We have travelled for the last two years from Edmonton to Jasper for skiing and we took between 3 to 4 hours. We now live in Sherwood Park, so that is a little closer, but still falls between that time frame. This is a steady run with a stop at Gasoline Alley.

Our friends that were following us got there in 2.5 hours, but knowing them they broke all speed limits, and we prefer to arrive safely.

Linda
Now you've really got me confused.

You live in Sherwood Park which is east of Edmonton yet you say it is closer to Jasper.

Gasoline Alley is just south of Red Deer on Highway 2 or is the another one west of Edmonton someplace?

It's about 350 kms from the west side of Edmonton to Jasper townsite to make that distance in 2.5 hours you would have to average 140 kph.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:20 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's about 350 kms from the west side of Edmonton to Jasper townsite to make that distance in 2.5 hours you would have to average 140 kph.

we did it in 3 hours, taking in tim hortons of course and timmy bits......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.