Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The perfect location to live in canada

The perfect location to live in canada

Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

filz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The perfect location to live in canada

WE are still undecided where we want to settle in Canada and would be interested in thoughts based on the following requiremnts:

1.We would like like to live within 2 hours drive of a city with an international airport (direct flights to europe and USA)
2.We don't want to live in a city itself.
3.We would like a climate with cold winters and warm to hot summers with a good amount of snow fall and good sunshine all year round.(we currently live in the Austrian Alps and like the climate here and would like something similar)
4.We want to be within 2 hours drive of good down hill skiing
5.We want to be able to buy a 4 bedroom house in a reasonabkle family area circa 1600-2500 square feet for $cn 400k max
6.We would like a town / city with enough to keep teenagers family happy i.e 15k to 100k popualtion.
7.We are more drawn to western Canada mainly due to the mountain geograhy.
8. We would like to be be within a commutable drive (say 60 minutes) of good job opportunities so say 100K+ city.

Any ideas for locations welcome.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The perfect location to live in canada

Originally Posted by filz
WE are still undecided where we want to settle in Canada and would be interested in thoughts based on the following requiremnts:

1.We would like like to live within 2 hours drive of a city with an international airport (direct flights to europe and USA)
3.We would like a climate with cold winters and warm to hot summers with a good amount of snow fall and good sunshine all year round.(we currently live in the Austrian Alps and like the climate here and would like something similar)
5.We want to be able to buy a 4 bedroom house in a reasonabkle family area circa 1600-2500 square feet for $cn 400k max
6.We would like a town / city with enough to keep teenagers family happy i.e 15k to 100k popualtion.
8. We would like to be be within a commutable drive (say 60 minutes) of good job opportunities so say 100K+ city.

I would say Calgary, or one of the satellite towns, is your best bet. Houses are pretty expensive though, so I dont think you'd get your 4bed house for that budget.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:18 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

check out gibsons landing........or abbotsford....both in bc and i agree with previous posting, calgary fits those criteria apart from house prices.......vancouver is in the same cat too on the house price front.......
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I would say Calgary, or one of the satellite towns, is your best bet. Houses are pretty expensive though, so I dont think you'd get your 4bed house for that budget.
What he said.

When I look at your wish list, your options are Calgary, Calgary, or Calgary (or one of its satellite towns, as jericho indicated).

The real estate market had gone crazy in this place, but has softened in the last year. I've just found a 4-bedroom house in Arbour Lake, in the northwest quadrant of Calgary, with a list price of $379,900. I looked at the NW quadrant, because it's closer to the mountains than other quadrants, and therefore a good starting point for skiing.

Some members of this forum are very fond of the satellite towns of Okotoks and Cochrane. Okotoks is to the south of Calgary, and Cochrane is to the northwest of Calgary. Again because of its geographic location, Cochrane would be a better base for keen skiers.

But, if you have teenagers who soon will be attending college or university, beware of the transportation issue. The public transportation from satellite towns is confined to a couple of express buses during morning and afternoon rush hours on week days. If you lived in one of the satellite towns, you might have to provide your kids with vehicles, and that would add to the expense of living in those places.

My sons used transit to get to and from the University of Calgary during a large chunk of their studies, and that helped with expenses.
x
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:31 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
check out gibsons landing
This had to have been stated tongue-in-cheek.

or abbotsford
This too (although not quite as ironical a suggestion as Gibsons ).
x
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:47 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Iqaluit.

Seriously, I don't think there is anywhere in Canada that will meet all of your requirements.

Some of the Lower Mainland in BC is within a 2 hour drive of YVR. Flights to most places in the US almost always seem to involve a hop to Seattle. UK flight connections are pretty good (for as long as tourist airlines exist). Not sure about the rest of Europe. Asian destinations are also served.

I suspect Toronto has relatively good connections directly to the US.

I've tried to book flights from Calgary to the US and been routed through Vancouver. Not sure whether this was destination specific, location specific or a common thing (ie this may or may not be common with airports in other large Canadian cities). The population of Canada is about half that of the UK. There are correspondingly fewer services at some levels. On the other hand, some places with relatively small populations have a much wider range of services than similarly sized cities in Europe. For example, Whitehorse has a population of about 20,000 but has a wide range of cultural, sporting and educational opportunities. It also has long summer days, cold winters (and loads of bugs).

Well there's more non-city than city in Canada.

Only been on holiday to Austria once so you'll have to compare for yourselves.
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....s/index_e.html
http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/intro-e.html

I suggest you avoid the prairies.

The west, and BC in particular, will give you the widest choice of locations.

That may be quite possible in most places outside the Lower Mainland (you could get a townhouse of that size in an OK area of Surrey for that kind of money), though I hear Kelowna is pretty expensive too these days.
http://www.mls.ca/

I suggest you think more specifically about what facilities you are looking for.

It is true what you have heard. We have mountains in abundance. Other parts of Canada merely have "mountains"

You need to give a bit more detail about what kind of opportunities. If you are looking for retail or hospitality or health, there is probably a wider choice of locations than if you are looking at aeronautics, off-shore exploration, biotechnology or marine mammal trainer openings. You may also wish to tailor your idea of commutable to climate and population. It could be quite different commuting in winter conditions in a rural area. In an urban area, one hour in the Lower Mainland might only get you from Surrey to Burnaby on a bad day.

As a starting point, look at Prince George. Not everybody's cup of tea but it will help you think about your requirements around what is out there.

Last edited by acer rose; Jul 26th 2008 at 8:57 pm. Reason: typos galore
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:53 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
What he said.

When I look at your wish list, your options are Calgary, Calgary, or Calgary (or one of its satellite towns, as jericho indicated).
I take it all back, the locals know that there is a place that could meet all of OP's requirements. Go Calgary!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acer rose
I've tried to book flights from Calgary to the US and been routed through Vancouver. Not sure whether this was destination specific, location specific or a common thing (ie this may or may not be common with airports in other large Canadian cities).
I'm curious where in the U.S. were you trying to book flight to from Calgary that you got routed through Vancouver?

And what travel search were you using?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:06 pm
talking Ter Sami

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'm curious where in the U.S. were you trying to book flight to from Calgary that you got routed through Vancouver?

And what travel search were you using?
California. I was time limited to leaving after 7pm to get there by 7.30am next day. I tried Kayak and a couple of airlines. I was rather surprised myself but my search also failed to find the first flight of the following morning out of Vancouver!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:14 pm

California. I was time limited to leaving after 7pm to get there by 7.30am next day. I tried Kayak and a couple of airlines. I was rather surprised myself but my search also failed to find the first flight of the following morning out of Vancouver!
The time constraints are the key here.

The last flights out to San Francisco or Los Angeles appear to leave around 7pm
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

As a starting point, look at Prince George. Not everybody's cup of tea but it will help you think about your requirements around what is out there.
No, seriously, don't... It's our nearest city so we go there at least monthly. Wages are awful, it's extremely ugly and it smells *grim* (from the pulp mill.) Also, I think it unlikely you'd be able to fly directly from there to any European destinations. Sorry... LOL!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
No, seriously, don't... It's our nearest city so we go there at least monthly. Wages are awful, it's extremely ugly and it smells *grim* (from the pulp mill.) Also, I think it unlikely you'd be able to fly directly from there to any European destinations. Sorry... LOL!
I've never been there but I've heard a number of people refer to poor old Prince George as the arm pit of B.C.

Nobody I know wants to live there and a few I know are glad they are out.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:33 pm
talking Ter Sami

No, seriously, don't... It's our nearest city so we go there at least monthly. Wages are awful, it's extremely ugly and it smells *grim* (from the pulp mill.)
But none of those were in the list of requirements, which was sort of my point.

Also, I think it unlikely you'd be able to fly directly from there to any European destinations. Sorry... LOL!
Also true of many other locations that would otherwise fit the list of requirements.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:54 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Kamloops fits most of your requirements.

Kelowna is a 2hr drive away has flights to Germany.

Not many people do in Kamloops

average winter temp is -10c, average summer temp is +30c

45mins and you'll be at Sunpeaks resort

That's do able here

Kamloops has 80k

You cannot eat mountains

My place of work is 12 mins away

Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:11 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
You can not eat mountains.
Ain't that the truth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.