Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, but "the World" doesn't begin or end in Toronto, despite what any number of GTA dwellers or T.'s ers think. Like it or not Canada has TWO official languages, neither of which is Punjabi or Russian. That's why we have French and English immersion schools and not Tamil or Farsi ones.
Quite. And perhaps more to the point, the Frenchies came to Canada before the Brits.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Quite. And perhaps more to the point, the Frenchies came to Canada before the Brits.
But so did the Indians.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My sister lived in England for about 10 years (London, Manchester Sheffield) and and said the British were the most racist people she's ever met.
Well I think Australians and British people are very racist, it's a fine line as to which are the more racist. But Canadians definitely aren't as racist, not imx anyway. And not as racist as Americans either.

British people I can kind of understand being racist because it's not an immigrant country in the same way Canada is and the US had the whole thing with slavery.

Australia on the other hand I'm a bit non-plussed about, what with those riots over the Lebanese a year or two ago and various other things, such as the way they go about tackling the boat people from Vietnam, putting detention centres in the middle of nowhere or on islands, etc.

Canada has a history of discriminating against the First Nations but Australia seems to still be at it with the aboriginals, as far as I can see.

Also I've read polls on how accepting people are of immigrants, Canada is usually near the top. To some extent I understand that too because Canada isn't as crowded as the UK (so immigrants are more visible in the UK), but once again there have been polls in Australia the last few years that indicate half the population want immigration ended.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well I think Australians and British people are very racist, it's a fine line as to which are the more racist. But Canadians definitely aren't as racist, not imx anyway. And not as racist as Americans either.

British people I can kind of understand being racist because it's not an immigrant country in the same way Canada is and the US had the whole thing with slavery.

Australia on the other hand I'm a bit non-plussed about, what with those riots over the Lebanese a year or two ago and various other things, such as the way they go about tackling the boat people from Vietnam, putting detention centres in the middle of nowhere or on islands, etc.

Canada has a history of discriminating against the First Nations but Australia seems to still be at it with the aboriginals, as far as I can see.

Also I've read polls on how accepting people are of immigrants, Canada is usually near the top. To some extent I understand that too because Canada isn't as crowded as the UK (so immigrants are more visible in the UK), but once again there have been polls in Australia the last few years that indicate half the population want immigration ended.
I see the other way. It’s the ubiquitous nature and total acceptability of the racism here that's shocking. It’s not just certain demographics that exhibit it, it permeates all levels of Canadian society. It doesn't matter if they're First Nations, French Chinese or Asian-Indian, coupled with religious intolerance, the constant drone of the bigotry here is appalling. It’s like living in the UK in the 1950s.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

I think your nationalism might be showing. Australia has far higher percentage of people born overseas than Canada, most of whom have been successfully integrated, just like Canada. Most advanced western democracies are very accepting overall and choosing one over the other is incredibly difficult imo. So easy to have blind spots to your own countries racism while seeing others without nuance and with poor knowledge of the different debates and history in those countries.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think your nationalism might be showing. Australia has far higher percentage of people born overseas than Canada, most of whom have been successfully integrated, just like Canada. Most advanced western democracies are very accepting overall and choosing one over the other is incredibly difficult imo. So easy to have blind spots to your own countries racism while seeing others without nuance and with poor knowledge of the different debates and history in those countries.
My sister (originally from Ireland) lives in Australia. She's currently working as a freelance accountant and gets assignments from a temp agency. She's been working on her current assignment for a few months now and her boss likes her work so much that he told her he wants to hire her full-time. He added that, of course, he would probably have to hire a local first if one was available to keep the Australians happy but that he'd hire my sister if he couldn't find one. My sister has been in Australia at least 10 years and is an Australian citizen. She said this attitude is rife over there.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robbyls
I immigrated to Canada 4 years and I have to admit it was because Canada is close to the US so I decided to move here. But speaking of Canada itself, the winter is so harsh and lengthy - I am in Toronto, it is actually not a liveable place to me.

I wonder for other people who immigrate here. The reason to pick Canada is because Canada is really good its alone or because its neighbour is the biggest economy.
Majority of the People unfortunately come to Canada because of US.US have so many weather options Hawaii, Puerto Rico, California, Florida etc. etc. British Columbia is very beautiful and nice but we cannot compare it with US because there are so many options in USA.US is still a lot economical,bigger market and cheaper than Canada. My friend was charged with $60 per person Turkish visa fees (on arrival) on Canadian Passport whereas on US/UK passport same Turkish visa fees is $20 per person.

The best thing about US is there is a option of taking or not taking health insurance.If you are not too much sick and in your 20ies you don't need to buy health insurance (and un-necessarily keep pay for it).I dont want to pay for something which I am not using.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by economy_1
The best thing about US is there is a option of taking or not taking health insurance.If you are not too much sick and in your 20ies you don't need to buy health insurance (and un-necessarily keep pay for it).I dont want to pay for something which I am not using.
Actually the Affordable Care Act requires that everyone in the US has at least minimum health coverage. Just because you don't get sick often, doesn't mean you won't need healthcare at some point. For example, you could be involved in an accident or incident at any time that requires medical treatment. Do you ever buy car, home or life insurance?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I see the other way. It’s the ubiquitous nature and total acceptability of the racism here that's shocking. It’s not just certain demographics that exhibit it, it permeates all levels of Canadian society. It doesn't matter if they're First Nations, French Chinese or Asian-Indian, coupled with religious intolerance, the constant drone of the bigotry here is appalling.

Where the hell do you live to allegedly see that much racism in Canada?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I think your nationalism might be showing. Australia has far higher percentage of people born overseas than Canada, most of whom have been successfully integrated, just like Canada.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]

http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/[email protected]?iid=38
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by economy_1
Majority of the People unfortunately come to Canada because of US.

This is ridiculous.

The best thing about US is there is a option of taking or not taking health insurance.

Apparently you haven't been reading the news much over the last year.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

That confirms what I said so I presume you are making another point from the links ?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My sister (originally from Ireland) lives in Australia. She's currently working as a freelance accountant and gets assignments from a temp agency. She's been working on her current assignment for a few months now and her boss likes her work so much that he told her he wants to hire her full-time. He added that, of course, he would probably have to hire a local first if one was available to keep the Australians happy but that he'd hire my sister if he couldn't find one. My sister has been in Australia at least 10 years and is an Australian citizen. She said this attitude is rife over there.
Anecdotes are only worth so much as there are anecdotes to prove anything about any country. There is a law that you can only offer temporary residents a job if it can not be done by a local. He may have presumed she was on a temporary visa or just be an idiot. Around 25% of Australians are born overseas and 45% of Australians have a parent born overseas. Must be approaching one of the highest percentages in the world. You cannot reach percentages like that and still be far more resistant to outsiders working than other countries. Our work places are "full" of people from all over, just like Canada's. Facts are facts. UK only has 11% born overseas. Ireland ?

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 4th 2014 at 2:43 am.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdotes are only worth so much as there are anecdotes to prove anything about any country. There is a law that you can only offer temporary residents a job if it can not be done by a local. He may have presumed she was on a temporary visa or just be an idiot. Around 25% of Australians are born overseas and 45% of Australians have a parent born overseas. Must be approaching one of the highest percentages in the world. You cannot reach percentages like that and still be far more resistant to outsiders working than other countries. Our work places are "full" of people from all over, just like Canada's. Facts are facts. UK only has 11% born overseas. Ireland ?
20% of people in Canada born overseas as of 2006:

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...557/p2-eng.cfm

A massively higher proportion in the cities of course.

There's a lot of racism here but I thought Australia was more overtly old fashioned; you don't see bars here that are just for non-white people (granted though I haven't been to the wasteland between Thunder Bay and Calgary), you don't see people hitting their children in public and, if a woman pays for something in Canada, they don't give the change to her husband. Being in Australia seemed to me to be like living in a rugby song though I suppose Eskimo Nell must be up here somewhere.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
20% of people in Canada born overseas as of 2006:

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...557/p2-eng.cfm

A massively higher proportion in the cities of course.

There's a lot of racism here but I thought Australia was more overtly old fashioned; you don't see bars here that are just for non-white people (granted though I haven't been to the wasteland between Thunder Bay and Calgary), you don't see people hitting their children in public and, if a woman pays for something in Canada, they don't give the change to her husband. Being in Australia seemed to me to be like living in a rugby song though I suppose Eskimo Nell must be up here somewhere.

Granted the Aussies around here may very well be biased because they love Canada, but all the ones I meet locally are dying to find ways to live in Canada as its apparently so much better here.

Now of course I haven't a clue, only been to Australia once and only for 2 weeks, so can't have a valid view of how the country really is since experiencing it as a visitor is not the same as a resident.

My ex ended up marrying an Australian as he was desperate to stay in Canada.

Seems to be a lot of them around these parts wanting to stay here for various reasons, not sure why, I'd kind of like to live in Australia, always been a bit of a dream of mine, but one that can't happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.