Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pension transfer.

Pension transfer.

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

emyrthomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension transfer.

Probably already been asked on here before!

How long roughly should I expect to wait for a UK to Canada Pension transfer value when asking for it myself?

I've spoken to my ex-employer and the Pension people and they are processing it so there's nothing to do apart from move the abacus beads and tell me how much $$$$$$$'s i'll get.

Emyr.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension transfer.

You mean a transfer quote from your UK pension company?

i waited a month after I spoke to them, then called them again, and it turned out they'd never done anything about my first request. I think it arrived in about ten days once they actually started working on it.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I have several pensions in two different countries ( soon to be three when I start my Canadian one) and I have been looking at a similar thing. My financial advisor has told me that it may be better to leave them where they are, for several reasons. The ones I remember are, you have a spread so are less likely to be affected, if for example one country crashes. You will lose out in transfer values versus what the pension value is as there are fees etc. there were more but I can't remember what they are.

The main point would be to speak to a financial advisor, transferring your pension may not be the best thing for you!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emyrthomas
Probably already been asked on here before!

How long roughly should I expect to wait for a UK to Canada Pension transfer value when asking for it myself?

I've spoken to my ex-employer and the Pension people and they are processing it so there's nothing to do apart from move the abacus beads and tell me how much $$$$$$$'s i'll get.

Emyr.
There is no set time limit......every company is different.

Private pension providers ( i.e Standard life , Scottish widows etc etc ) are generally quick and will produce paperwork within 7-10 days of receiving your request.

Company pension providers may take slightly longer.

Then you need to factor in the postage time from the UK to Canada.

Generally between 3-6 weeks would be an average timescale to receive paperwork once requested !!!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

emyrthomas is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the transfer value in the mail yesterday, thanks all once again for the advice

Emyr