Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Etiquette in following up applications/resumes

Etiquette in following up applications/resumes

Old Mar 27th 2014, 11:29 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Etiquette in following up applications/resumes

I emailed two potential voluntary organisations in Vancouver last week.

One sent a nice email back asking me to apply as soon as I arrive, which I thanked them for.

Another asked for me to send my resume, which I sent to them but it's been a week and I haven't heard anything. Bare in mind these are for voluntary roles (not paid), I did advise them I would not be in Vancouver until September so I'm wondering if they didn't realise that.

Can I just send an email asking them how I would need to apply when I arrive or the fact they haven't replied means they are not interested in me at all - even as a volunteer?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:20 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Etiquette in following up applications/resumes

Some of these voluntary organisations are a bit slow, I have found. You don't know how often the person who ended up with your resume comes in, and in March, lots of people have leave, especially those with children.

Did you have the name of an individual that you sent your resume to Beckiwoo?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

Did you have the name of an individual that you sent your resume to Beckiwoo?
Yes I went to the organisations website first of all and got the contact details from there, I also sent a similar email to a generic address first of all but thought then it was better to go direct. I sent this person an introductory email and then they asked for my resume.

I think I'm just anxious as it's the first time I have sent my newly Canadized resume to someone

I might leave it until next week then and follow a polite email up
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian job application etiquette, at least in the technology industry, is refreshingly simple: if there is no immediate interest, you won't hear anything back. Not even a 'thanks but no thanks'.

I don't believe any rudeness is intended. It's just the way it works over here.

Of course, voluntary organizations may have a different 'culture' ...
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

scotsnerd is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar position... I e-mailed the generic and then human resources and heard nothing. I then e-mailed a fairly senior guy in the organisation who replied with "it would be worthwhile to have a conversation and he would speak to me soon". That was 2 weeks ago. I have followed it up yesterday. I've read that it is encouraged that you need to be persistent as opposed to in the UK where I personally would just feel like an annoyance.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I have been told that "blind" emailing of resumes is basically ignored, phone calls are a possibility, but face-to-face is the only real way.

Having said that, I blind emailed my resume to several possible employers, which led to an email conversation, which led to a Skype interview and a job offer
Old Mar 27th 2014, 5:23 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Eddmac
I have been told that "blind" emailing of resumes is basically ignored
Yeah I was told this but my situation this person asked to see my resume as I contacted them first with an email
Old Mar 27th 2014, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

scotsnerd is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say give it a week and then politely ask them if they need any further information that could help them determine if they have any suitable vacancies. Not the etiquette, just my personal opinion.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 8:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotsnerd
I would say give it a week and then politely ask them if they need any further information that could help them determine if they have any suitable vacancies. Not the etiquette, just my personal opinion.
That sounds like a good idea....you might think that volunteer organisations might be a bit more speedy but they aren't. I 'hate' it when applications for jobs are just ignored...it is just so bloody rude. Best of luck Beckiwoo!
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:27 pm
Bex in the city

That sounds like a good idea....you might think that volunteer organisations might be a bit more speedy but they aren't. I 'hate' it when applications for jobs are just ignored...it is just so bloody rude. Best of luck Beckiwoo!

Thank you and thanks everyone for your help
Old Mar 28th 2014, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never hurts to send one follow email, but don't expect a response, but hope for one. More times then not, you will not receive a response to a resume or follow up letter, but some places do surprise you and reply, but I haven't found this is the norm, its been pretty rare in my experience to receive a reply.

Oh and even when say you get an interview and they say at the interview they will let you know either way, also don't expect a call or email, can't tell you how many times I have had interviewers say this and never received a call or email, so I don't take them seriously anymore, it seems to just be a way to avoid having applicants call and bother them after a resume.

And at times the person answering emails to the general email isn't one of any authority in the company, I check my companies email, but for resumes I just print them, delete the email, and resume goes into a file cabinet, if/when we hire the manager will go through the pile and call.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:25 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Never hurts to send one follow email, but don't expect a response, but hope for one. More times then not, you will not receive a response to a resume or follow up letter, but some places do surprise you and reply, but I haven't found this is the norm, its been pretty rare in my experience to receive a reply.
So if I don't receive a response, should I wait until I get to Canada and email them when I arrive then follow up with a phone call to speak directly to them?

I was surprised to get replies in the first place to be honest.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Millie.

To me it's downright rude but apparently it's the norm there
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lookingtogo
Agree with Millie.

To me it's downright rude but apparently it's the norm there
Yes, it's totally the norm. I applied for over 200 jobs last year and heard back from maybe 5-6 of them. After I had an interview with a non-profit organisation I had one email from them about 6 weeks after saying that they were still in 'consultation' and not another word until I emailed them 2 months later asking if there was an update.

It's very frustrating but it's just the way it is.

Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
(...) at times the person answering emails to the general email isn't one of any authority in the company, I check my companies email, but for resumes I just print them, delete the email, and resume goes into a file cabinet, if/when we hire the manager will go through the pile and call.
Ditto. In addition: if the sender is not already in country, I have instructions NOT to print & file, but to delete.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So if I don't receive a response, should I wait until I get to Canada and email them when I arrive then follow up with a phone call to speak directly to them?

I was surprised to get replies in the first place to be honest.
I think it's fantastic, & encouraging (congratulations!!) that you DID get replies. In this situation, I'd call/email stating the above.

SB

Last edited by Shirtback; Mar 29th 2014 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Ambiguity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.