Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

pegging out washing

pegging out washing

Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of
Default Re: pegging out washing

That is a very good question

i wonder?

lisa dd

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
How did Canadians dry their washing before dryers were invented?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

SaraF1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ali-simon
I do agree with Helen. The amount of ex pats I've met who moan about this and that - You've moved to Canada - When in Rome.........
yes, but the things that they moan are always the ridiculous things like living in an enviromentally friendly community but having to use your tumble dryer when half an hour outside in the spring/ summer weather would do the job without using any electricity!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How did Canadians dry their washing before dryers were invented?
Perhaps they hung it on lines. Perhaps Canadians in general continue to hang it on lines. These areas where people have a curious fixation with knicker concealment, suburban Calgary, Nova Scotia, have a high population of immigrants. Perhaps the people who were living there before the wave of Brits arrived are wondering now how they were tricked out of their birthright, deprived of fresh air and exfoliating towels. Perhaps they hate us for making them spin indoors.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:49 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SaraF1
yes, but the things that they moan are always the ridiculous things like living in an enviromentally friendly community but having to use your tumble dryer when half an hour outside in the spring/ summer weather would do the job without using any electricity!!!!
You got money to burn then SaraE1 ?

Perhaps us brits just arent as well off as you Canadians.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
We`re not in Rome. We`re in a multiculture and my culture includes dry clothes. I hang my socks defiantly!

http://upperappalachia.blogspot.com/...one-needs.html
too true. plus has that person actually been to Rome? They definitely hang their clothes out!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

You got money to burn then SaraE1 ?

Perhaps us brits just arent as well off as you Canadians.
No, that was my point. Havent got money to burn, but they expect us to use our tumble dryers all year round when we could be hanging the washing out!!! and in this weather, it wouldnt take long to dry would it!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:56 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SaraF1
No, that was my point. Havent got money to burn, but they expect us to use our tumble dryers all year round when we could be hanging the washing out!!! and in this weather, it wouldnt take long to dry would it!
Sorry SaraF1 totally misunderstood you reply - I offer my humble apologies
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

During our initial househunting here on the Rock, I was taken by a very swish new development called 'Country Gardens'. Aside from some very nice (& expensive) houses, you also got an acre lot and sea views. Then I started reading the 'homesite covenants' which amongst other things preclude you from hanging out washing, working on your car outside, parking a boat or RV etc etc. "Screw that" I thought as whats the point of having a bit of land if you can't park stuff on it. Seems rather too Stepford Wives for my taste.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed that the more traditional shack like houses have washing hanging outside. The middle class masses hide their washing inside.

Seems daft to complain about seeing washing on the line when you can have all kind of weird and wonderful things on the porch.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

marieceleste is on a distinguished road

I hang my washing out because I am not paying electricity to dry clothes that I can dry for free outside. That is just plain crazy. My neighbour in the U.K used her dryer all year round even in the summer and everyone along the street said she was barmy. :eek
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
If you do dry your clothes indoors, remember to ventilate to extract the moisture from the air.

I was in a basement only last week where the home owners dried all of their laundry strung across the room. They had been doing this for some years. The basement was also heated, but not well ventilated. The result was bad Mould, the basement will require gutting and treating, cost about $15,000.

It would have been much cheaper for them to have used a tumble dryer.
But even better if they had hung the washing out to dry!!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Sorry SaraF1 totally misunderstood you reply - I offer my humble apologies
apology accepted. i figured that was the case. x
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We`re not in Rome. We`re in a multiculture and my culture includes dry clothes. I hang my socks defiantly!

http://upperappalachia.blogspot.com/...one-needs.html
Did my disbelieving eyes just spot you wearing crocs in that photo?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

funny! great photo!

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
They were a gift! Yesterday the puppy ate halfway through one, I was in trauma, if it was destroyed I might have to admit to finding them practical and actually buy some myself. That or strap 14 hole docs on each time the laundry needs moving along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.