Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

pegging out washing

pegging out washing

Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of
Default pegging out washing

Hi i live in Calgary and was just wondering why we cant peg out our washing in the back yard? seems mad using the tumber in +25!

Thanks

Lisa dd
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:42 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pegging out washing

Do you have a bylaw that says you can't hang out your washing that is specifically for your local community then? If you do, then get on to your local Alderman to raise the matter at Council and try and get it changed. Might give them something useful to debate for a change!!!

Its one of the things that really annoys me - sad, I know - that we are encouraged to use energy-hungry tumble dryers when good old mother nature can do the job for free!

I don't give a toss and just hang my washing out when its nice anyway, although we do have quite a well-screened garden and a rotary dryer.

Just found this old thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528401

And I can't seem to find a relevant bylaw on the City's website - does your community have extra "homeowner rules" at all?

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jun 1st 2009 at 1:49 am.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

thanks for your reply

do you know where i would find out about the bylaw??

Thanks

QUOTE=Flossie and Jim;7621503]Do you have a bylaw that says you can't hang out your washing that is specifically for your local community then? If you do, then get on to your local Alderman to raise the matter at Council and try and get it changed. Might give them something useful to debate for a change!!!

Its one of the things that really annoys me - sad, I know - that we are encouraged to use energy-hungry tumble dryers when good old mother nature can do the job for free!

I don't give a toss and just hang my washing out when its nice anyway, although we do have quite a well-screened garden and a rotary dryer. [/QUOTE]
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:55 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a City of Calgary Bylaw then call 311 and they should be able to tell you if there is one.

Otherwise if you have a Community Association or Homeowner Association then try them as it might be a community-specific thing.

Or you could just hang your washing out and see if anyone complains!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:59 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisadd
Hi i live in Calgary and was just wondering why we cant peg out our washing in the back yard? seems mad using the tumber in +25!

Thanks

Lisa dd

Bylaws or rules like the laundry handing can actually be made by the developer when they made the subdivision and are usual part of the restrictive covenant which is on your house title. This should been search when you brought your house. Anything of real note should have been brought to your attention. Of course your lawyer was probably a canadain and most canadians do not mind using the old tumble dryer.

You will probably find if you live in an older part of Calgary or any city then you can hang your washing out. But if you brought into a newer community then check whether you can or not.

I know in Cochrane we can hang our washing out in most of the communties, and in Okotoks it is the same. I did check the city of calgary website but could not find anything on it!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Hiya

Thanks for that - we are in rented at the moment and yes it very new part od Calgary! maybe i could ask my landlord but it doesn seem strange as it would save so much money in the summer.

Thanks
Lisa dd

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Bylaws or rules like the laundry handing can actually be made by the developer when they made the subdivision and are usual part of the restrictive covenant which is on your house title. This should been search when you brought your house. Anything of real note should have been brought to your attention. Of course your lawyer was probably a canadain and most canadians do not mind using the old tumble dryer.

You will probably find if you live in an older part of Calgary or any city then you can hang your washing out. But if you brought into a newer community then check whether you can or not.

I know in Cochrane we can hang our washing out in most of the communties, and in Okotoks it is the same. I did check the city of calgary website but could not find anything on it!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lisadd
Hiya

Thanks for that - we are in rented at the moment and yes it very new part od Calgary! maybe i could ask my landlord but it doesn seem strange as it would save so much money in the summer.

Thanks
Lisa dd
I've just enquired re this in Okotoks and the developer said

'' Its a bit of a grey area. Yes you can hang washing but be respectful - not all day everyday and if neighbours have guests ie a Barbq and ask you to take it in we expect you to respect their wishes.''
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:02 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ali-simon

'' Its a bit of a grey area. Yes you can hang washing but be respectful - not all day everyday and if neighbours have guests ie a Barbq and ask you to take it in we expect you to respect their wishes.''
I would not BBQ if my neighbours had their washing hanging out.

How can washing be disrespectful? A cheeky pair of pants maybe?

How far would a prosecution go these days when we are all supposed to be more aware of carbon footprints etc, and when government advice is to hang the washing out?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:34 am
Happy Bunnies

I must admit, I do spare the neighbours from the sight of our smalls on the line and dry those discreetly indoors!

(Our neighbours said they knew we were Brits because we were hanging out our washing!)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:51 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I did not realise that these bylaws exist, it's madness. Now I know why we couldn't find a washing line anywhere in town when we first arrived.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ali-simon

This made me laugh when I read it - respect their wishes? What if you have friends in your garden who don't want to smell BBQ smoke - would they respect your wishes hahahah - I think not - it could get silly couldn't it! Same as above if someone had their washing out i'd wait for them to take it in or send a message round with their son/daughter to say we were lighting up the BBQ later out of respect - but not the other way round lol

It must be seen as a lower class thing out here or something - rather than a time saving thing........I used to zip through my washing back home on line dry in the summer - instead of waiting for one of the machines to finish before changing over etc. (were renting and don't have a line).

Thinking about it - I miss the fresh smell of line dried clothes

N
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So, in Calgary one is expected not to hang out the washing and to herd one's cats. How fabulously prissy!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
So, in Calgary one is expected not to hang out the washing and to herd one's cats. How fabulously prissy!

Not just in Calgary, it's the same where we live in Nova Scotia - can't put up fences either so you get neighbours kids running all over our garden - not things you probably think to look for when you first move from UK and buy a house in Canada.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
Not just in Calgary, it's the same where we live in Nova Scotia - can't put up fences either so you get neighbours kids running all over our garden - not things you probably think to look for when you first move from UK and buy a house in Canada.
Suddenly Ontario looks like a lawless no man's land, people here freely dangle their soggy clothing in the backyard. It's even common to have a winch arrangement attached to the house allowing washing to be hauled out along a line. The other end of the line is often attached to an extended post forming part of the back fence. One can make a case that all of this is environmentally sound but that really shouldn't be necessary, what kind of bunch of wankers seeks to regulate other people's laundary arrangements?
Even for the unhypenated that's taking busybodying to a lunatic extreme.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:05 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I have bought a brand new whirly gig with me. My washing will spin with pride when I get into my house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.